SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

11 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Ugly

edit stalls the occluded low and dumps. Big hit

Even if the low kinda pivots near Long Island for a time it might not be bad with the crashing temps due to the upper air low and possible CCB. If anything that might hurt eastern New England since it prolongs the onshore flow. As long as the low is east of your longitude it wouldn’t be bad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingbaus said:

Euro is a no go. Looks like the nam is on it's own.

Not exactly. It is more that the Ukie and Nam had more interaction with the kicker whereas the Euro seems to only partially interact. 

Remember, this particular s/w is still over 'No-Mans land' in Canada and is therefore yet to be sampled fully. This particular s/w will have a rather significant impact in regards to sensible weather near the coast, so I would be interested to see how this evolves over the next day or so. 

Edit- the 'kicker' is still towards the Gulf of Alaska, not quite yet into Canada. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

NIce to see you thinking the area is going to receive a nice hit. 

Coastie......nice work from you as always

the 18-20 lolly from the NOAA prog  will have this place buzzing

I cant say how much I dig that ESRL  Ens-Mean

it has made me look golden when  I go all in !!!!

BEST

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am just looking at what could happen with the set up. No help from the PNA and AO could allow a more northward motion. This is what happened with the 0z Euro. But we’ll see what happens next few runs.

C806E169-B70D-4B96-861C-248E9012D00E.gif.f6481d2ea81ce75b0ffba9d2652ee646.gif

I think the AO might be overrated here because it’s in the process of flipping.  It’s common to see big snows here often times when the AO or NAO are switching phases.  I still think we won’t know anything for another 24 hours for Monday because where exactly these bands of snow setup and how fast the system closes won’t be nailed down.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am just looking at what could happen with the set up. No help from the PNA and AO could allow a more northward motion. This is what happened with the 0z Euro. But we’ll see what happens next few runs. We don’t want to see much more northward movement. 

C806E169-B70D-4B96-861C-248E9012D00E.gif.f6481d2ea81ce75b0ffba9d2652ee646.gif

Blue Wave or anyone else = I go onto Pivotal Weather but I was not aware that I could get a snow map that you just posted. The maps I look at on there show a much broader / way larger portion of the North East . Can you tell me where / how I can find the map that you just posted which narrows areas down and shows Eastern to Shirley and Marlboro to Danbury ? Thanks in advance guys

Just now, bluewave said:

I agree that that the most accurate  runs for what actually happens will be next few days. But the slightly -PNA and AO going positive could allow a slight northward drift from earlier runs. It’s rare to see a heavy snow at the coast in early December with this 500 mb composite. So we need some of the famous 2010’s snowstorm luck to get some more favorable changes next few runs.

874EAC16-2E5B-4110-8702-6D07F539AD4D.thumb.png.789df5c939cd9e7c510998f1fe71ed42.png,

I thihk for sure someone will fluke their way to big snow totals here similar to 12/25/02 where a very small deformation zone setup that hit NYC and western LI but if you went down to even southern Staten Island or central or eastern LI they saw almost nothing 

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I agree that that the most accurate  runs for what actually happens will be next few days. But the slightly -PNA and AO going positive could allow a slight northward drift from earlier runs. It’s rare to see a heavy snow at the coast in early December with this 500 mb composite. So we need some of the famous 2010’s snowstorm luck to get smore favorable changes next few runs. There is still time.

874EAC16-2E5B-4110-8702-6D07F539AD4D.thumb.png.789df5c939cd9e7c510998f1fe71ed42.png,

There’s no evidence to support your argument.

Just now, bluewave said:

Which argument?

That model error has a direction based on index state. That’s just not true.  The model already takes into account the upper air pattern in solving the math. The storm path is no more likely to drift south or north.

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

That model error has a direction based on index state. That’s just not true.  The model already takes into account the upper air pattern in solving the math. The storm path is no more likely to drift south or north.

Your assessment is not accurate. Pattern, especially the negative PNA wreaks of a northern solution. 

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Your assessment is not accurate. Pattern, especially the negative PNA wreaks of a northern solution. 

It’s “reeks”, and if that’s the case, show your proof.  Every guy posting forecasts on the internet, even guys with degrees, has their own set of pulled-out-of-their-ass model biases, and they’re mostly bullshit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Drz1111 said:

It’s “reeks”, and if that’s the case, show your proof.  Every guy posting forecasts on the internet, even guys with degrees, has their own set of pulled-out-of-their-ass model biases, and they’re mostly bullshit.

I reccommend staying positive and  enjoying the 1/2 inch of snow that falls on the metro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Might be generous at this point. Gave me something to follow the past few days though so whatever. 6z suite was brutal.

Amateur here, been around since 2010, but I can say these forum discussions all have a pattern; they waffle back and forth, my portion of CNJ is always on the border of any precip, and nothing is locked in until the night before the event starts. And even then, at least in my area, it doesn't usually look like what was forecast ( several storms over the years delivered inches when feet were forecast ) . Even Boxing Day wasn't really fixed until shortly before. Oh, and rain always gets here sooner than forecast. And I have yet to see a significant backend ( as opposed to a storm that flips to snow; those I have seen ). Still, I love the back and forth and marvel at how nature throws curve balls at even the best here. Learned a lot from you folks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Amateur here, been around since 2010, but I can say these forum discussions all have a pattern; they waffle back and forth, my portion of CNJ is always on the border of any precip, and nothing is locked in until the night before the event starts. And even then, at least in my area, it doesn't usually look like what was forecast ( several storms over the years delivered inches when feet were forecast ) . Even Boxing Day wasn't really fixed until shortly before. Oh, and rain always gets here sooner than forecast. And I have yet to see a significant backend ( as opposed to a storm that flips to snow; those I have seen ). Still, I love the back and forth and marvel at how nature throws curve balls at even the best here. Learned a lot from you folks.

Novice here myself = Weatherpruf you are a winner, give this man any prize on the top shelf. I could not agree with you more

• Like 1