Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

The 2ndary low Is really key . The low is going to stall and spin for a while as seen on the Nam. 

Completely agreed.

Although we can be surprised on the front end if the precip is heavy enough we can see 1 to 3 with it.

Secondary low is a complete wild card.

Just now, bluewave said:

The snow bands cold get intense with such steep mid-level lapse rates. But we probably have to wait until  the very short term to know exactly where they set up.

584F21D0-D05E-4688-BE15-FF799BF16ADD.png.9e2f98aa6878ea5cab8a6d35a4092d86.png

Mid levels on the NAM would be fun and equate to a nightmare commute home Monday. Was it a blip or is it onto something?

Just now, bluewave said:

The snow bands cold get intense with such steep mid-level lapse rates. But we probably have to wait for the very short term to know exactly where they set up.

See this fcst sounding from HFD for example:

khfd.thumb.png.0aac93023bc5f9cfbf528af352a18cc5.png

Max lift just above the DGZ but to me this sounding is indicative of a band of 2"+/hour rates. For Monday to deliver, you'll want to see that vort axis and the dry slot at 500mb stay just to your SE.

• Like 3

The closed low on the NAM from 75-84 is just insanely broad.  That means there will be a gigantic dry slot.  You can’t really know details for another 36-48 or so on this but someone will be clocked on the W-NW side of that closed low.  The slow movement isn’t exactly great because if the low ultimately begins occluding everything west of the closed low will shutoff so you want slow movement to maximize snow potential but not so slow the surface low begins to occludes and everything behind the upper low does 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The closed low on the NAM from 75-84 is just insanely broad.  That means there will be a gigantic dry slot.  You can’t really know details for another 36-48 or so on this but someone will be clocked on the W-NW side of that closed low.  The slow movement isn’t exactly great because if the low ultimately begins occluding everything west of the closed low will shutoff so you want slow movement to maximize snow potential but not so slow the surface low begins to occludes and everything behind the upper low does 

Thanks for the explanation, I'm not going to rely on the hour 84 NAM for details, we know the potential is there but we know the details for Monday won't be sniffed out until closer to the event. At this point we are not even entirely sure what the initial wave will look like, will it be a thumping of snow or sleet to rain or will it be mainly rain, how far north will the warm air push get etc. 

35 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Which storm had a 2nd part to it where NYC  got crushed ? 2010? 2011?

I think that was Early Feb 2011...It snowed during the day, switched to sleet, then the real show started from about 6 until midnight...Two inch an hour rates for most of the evening.  If I remember though, that was the last real snow event that year after an insane six week period.

3 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I think that was Early Feb 2011...It snowed during the day, switched to sleet, then the real show started from about 6 until midnight...Two inch an hour rates for most of the evening.  If I remember though, that was the last real snow event that year after an insane six week period.

1/26-27-11. Heavy snow...freezing drizzle. Thunder sleet then heavy snow again

15 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

GFS isn't much different. Tick worse maybe. Meh.

This is likely one for the Hudson Valley and inland CT and the rest of us wait for whatever rotates around the low on Monday. Might be some light snow showers mostly or something that can accumulate. Maybe there’s an inch or two on the front end but it quickly gets washed away. It’ll be nice to have a brief period of snow on the ground (hopefully) but unless there are major changes at this point this is one that jackpots I-90. Models are keying in on Boston to around Monticello getting the brunt of the front end snow and wrap around from the low with little warming in between. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

This is likely one for the Hudson Valley and inland CT and the rest of us wait for whatever rotates around the low on Monday. Might be some light snow showers mostly or something that can accumulate. Maybe there’s an inch or two on the front end but it quickly gets washed away. It’ll be nice to have a brief period of snow on the ground (hopefully) but unless there are major changes at this point this is one that jackpots I-90. Models are keying in on Boston to around Monticello getting the brunt of the front end snow and wrap around from the low with little warming in between. 

I don't expect anything on the front end whatsoever. Maybe some sleet if we're lucky. Need to cash in on the back end in a NAM-like solution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Sleet to rain for the coast and city, too early to say if wraparound is real or the location of it.  Would be nice to get a coating Monday night

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yep basically This never was and isn't a big storm for the immediate metro area. Be happy if Monday surprises but it's December 1st with a primary going to the lakes, its great to see any frozen precip.