Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, vtrap90 said:

Good morning all. New to this subforum. I moved to Boston in May from Georgia and live in the Cambridge area. I've only experienced a few storms over 4" in my life. Does the ocean temperatures effect every storm like this? Or is it only early in the season when the water is relatively warm?

Yes to the first question ... 

sort of yes to the second ...

As the season progresses the ocean cools off considerably at our latitude.  Low 50s now may be 40 or even upper 30s at seasonal SST minimum ...usually late March or thereabouts.  In fact, an ocean influence can even help a spring nor-easter find it's way down to wet snow, where contrasting to early season it is a detriment  in that regard.

However, this situation has other meteorological, along with what are termed "local studies" factors to consider.  We get "coastal fronts" at times; this is a candidate for such a feature.  The warm ocean ( relatively warmer...) air doesn't penetrate west of those boundaries, and there can be impressive temperature variations across just a few short miles on either side.  Boston Common might be 44 F and misting/sheet rains and it's parachutes at 33 in Cambridge, and powdered snow up on Arlighton Heights... and even 50 F out at Logan Airport. 

We have a cold air mass entrenched across the area, and a high pressure banked into eastern Canada/Ontaria.  This latter feature perpetually feeds cold into the coastal plain and that flow banks off the warm ocean air and the coastal frontal evolves...  Cambridge is right on the fence... Coastal fronts can be aligned right over you... Sometimes west ... and other times, suppressed down toward SE zones. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vtrap90 said:

Good morning all. New to this subforum. I moved to Boston in May from Georgia and live in the Cambridge area. I've only experienced a few storms over 4" in my life. Does the ocean temperatures effect every storm like this? Or is it only early in the season when the water is relatively warm?

Hey welcome to the zoo. We play loose and light but thrive on a challenge.  Water temps can be a hindering factor in some storms or a great source of salt nuclei to seed clouds in others. Hopefully you will see your first above 4 in 2 hours Monday night. That is how we do it 

• Like 3