• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

40/70 Benchmark

Pickles MPM must have more worry wrinkles than any human on earth. Jesus you both are going to get smoked. Lol I enjoy just reading and sitting back. One thing to watch for us on the southern  edge of the big WAA snow amounts as Will alluded to huge omega and a marginal warm layer could be in play. The Noreaster is still up for grabs,  easily could move around. Enjoy all

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Will, any list of the top 5 December snowstorms for ORH?

Off top of my head:

1. Dec 11-12, 1992....32.1

2. Dec 23, 1997..........18.0

3. Dec 23-25, 1961.....17.6

4. Dec 7-8, 1996........16.3 (right after 10.0 fell on 12/6/96...these are not officially counted as one system)

Not sure which would be #5. There's a bunch in that 13-15 range. I'm a little surprised I couldn't think of another one over 20" but I'm pretty sure that's it for December. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just the tropical tidbits maps. Most of the others are smart enough to exclude sleet. But they should still be taken with a grain of salt. 

Well that's good to know. 

10 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Just use the precipitation maps.  Somewhat more reliable, just not as fun or pretty.

true :lol:

When I first starting taking stabs at snowfall forecasting I use to just estimate a ratio and see what the precip maps were showing for QPF and bang out some math...worked once in a while lol

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Well that's good to know. 

true :lol:

When I first starting taking stabs at snowfall forecasting I use to just estimate a ratio and see what the precip maps were showing for QPF and bang out some math...worked once in a while lol

Clown maps didn't even exist yet when I started forecasting. They aren't needed...using QPF and then massaging it based on the other features like midlevels and thermal profiles will get you where you need to be. 10 to 1 isn't a bad place to start but often you need to cut back on the qpf itself...once in a while you adjust upward of it's a really nice midlevel magic look. 

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pickles MPM must have more worry wrinkles than any human on earth. Jesus you both are going to get smoked. Lol I enjoy just reading and sitting back. One thing to watch for us on the southern  edge of the big WAA snow amounts as Will alluded to huge omega and a marginal warm layer could be in play. The Noreaster is still up for grabs,  easily could move around. Enjoy all

I haven't been boo-hooing at all with this.  At least I don't think I've been....

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Low end?

Yup.....the others weren't as demarked by the highways as this one.  But, I think it does demonstrate well how the highways are built through terrain in the same way that sensible weather often sets up.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Off top of my head:

1. Dec 11-12, 1992....32.1

2. Dec 23, 1997..........18.0

3. Dec 23-25, 1961.....17.6

4. Dec 7-8, 1996........16.3 (right after 10.0 fell on 12/6/96...these are not officially counted as one system)

Not sure which would be #5. There's a bunch in that 13-15 range. I'm a little surprised I couldn't think of another one over 20" but I'm pretty sure that's it for December. 

I'm not sure which I'm more surprised by.....that there isn't another 20" one or that there's some semblance of doubt on your part as to whether there was one you're not thinking of.

• Like 1