• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

40/70 Benchmark

I'm waiting till early tomorrow to do a map, feel its just too early but i get why news stations and nws has done theirs, completely.

The start of the storm is only ~36hrs away but the end is still 3.5 days out or 84hrs.

Waiting for the 00z/12z main suites, then ill post a first call, Sat night maybe 2nd call and Sunday morning before the storm begins final call.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I still feel pretty good here. I think we’ll produce nicely in the snow department on Monday and very early Tuesday. This event looks high impact to me outside of the usual SE CT spot. Even there I think they do ok. 

Everyone will probably end up getting 6+ and the usual hole over Groton/ New Londong of 3-6 or even 1-3. Poor guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, tamarack said:

GYX not too enthusiastic, except maybe for the far south/SE parts of its CWA.  Even the 10% chance at Farmington is only 3" and the "most likely" is <1".  06z GFS op is a whiff Augusta and points N and W.  Still lots of time for jigs and jogs.
Stake showing 4" and it's high LE and solid, so we're not whining too much here.  Especially since this last event was showing up as a 50° torch-deluge on models several days earlier.

Not singling you out, but I thought this was a good post to highlight for everyone how those probabilities work.

Since we have an addiction and track these things routinely at days 5-7+, often times we are discussing a storm before the NWS offices are putting out QPF/snow forecasts. So the probabilities that you are referencing here only captured part of the coming storm. We're required to have 72 hours of QPF/snow, so unless someone intentionally adds extra hours of those variables, our snow probabilities will be partial.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Not singling you out, but I thought this was a good post to highlight for everyone how those probabilities work.

Since we have an addiction and track these things routinely at days 5-7+, often times we are discussing a storm before the NWS offices are putting out QPF/snow forecasts. So the probabilities that you are referencing here only captured part of the coming storm. We're required to have 72 hours of QPF/snow, so unless someone intentionally adds extra hours of those variables, our snow probabilities will be partial.

Indeed, I've been careful to specify exactly what time BOX's forecast is covering before wishcasting it away. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was hesitant putting out a map today, but with the travel weekend and all it made sense and I was on for the first call tonight. Me, @SR Airglow, and a few others make up the SCW team. 

I’m a little higher on snow accumulation than Ryan but I think it’s reasonable. I think the icing (sleet/zr) will be an issue in much of CT. 

Final call late tomorrow I think.

first-call-map-for-12-1-and-12-3-final_o

I think that is a very reasonable first call...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was hesitant putting out a map today, but with the travel weekend and all it made sense and I was on for the first call tonight. Me, @SR Airglow, and a few others make up the SCW team. 

I’m a little higher on snow accumulation than Ryan but I think it’s reasonable. I think the icing (sleet/zr) will be an issue in much of CT. 

Final call late tomorrow I think.

first-call-map-for-12-1-and-12-3-final_o

That's a keeper. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Reasonable first call. I believe most of the accumulation for CT will come in on the second half with the storm gets going S of LI and drifts west, and the problem with that is its still 2.5-3.5 days out. 

Lots of variables with the storm and i think confidence is low/bust potential high.

That gets lost in all these discussion, Still a lot of time for changes one way or the other, Seems like this one has been tracked for an eternity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can't do the EC but this is the GFS/GEM trend for 500mb track at hr 78 for the past 9 cycles. GEM has made huge swings, while GFS has been much more consistent. 

GEM started very far north then jumped south, then corrected in the middle while GFS was pretty consistent.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh78_trend.thumb.gif.1e95bc316f672ca704f895f864f76941.gifgem_z500_vort_us_fh84_trend.thumb.gif.8dae44991455be26eb17efe1e83291ea.gif

Your ggem gif is from 168 to 84 and your gfs gif is from 126 to 78...

From 120 and closer they are comparable.

Looks like records are going to fall for BDR. The record snowfall amount for the past 70+ years on Dec 1st is a TRACE. Dec 2nd 2.5" and Dec 3rd 1.4". All those are in jeapordy. With Dec 1 the most likely to fall.

It's crazy that over 70 years, that many records in december are only T, 1 or 2" of snowfall.

Cpp[papture.PNG

• Like 1