Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

Look how bad the forecast (and probably modeling) leading up to this storm

Friday Overnight Forecast (2 Days): Partly Cloudy and Mid 40s for Monday

zfpokx0.JPG.c33545a901469ab0242330e461c476e0.JPG

Saturday Evening (36 hours): Rain. Upper 30s.

zfpokxsat.JPG.838e7aba67e8450fde5b81019c6ad1fb.JPG

Sunday Night (12 hours): Snow changing to rain. Mid 30s. 4-7" total. 

This event dropped 15" in New Haven (And that's a DOT measurement)

zfpoks2.JPG.aec932ac5795a44b71d19b78c90060e3.JPG

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Blizzard of 96

Blizzard of 2003

Blizzard of 2006

Blizzard of 2003? Oh right the quick burst of moderate snow during the evening that dropped 5" and a huge slot that never filled back in and produced an additional 1-2" over 24 hrs. I remember that....:facepalm: But just for you ill do it.

I can't do 1996 because there are no PNS products for that storm. Unless you can find some i cant really do a map.

I can def do 2006 thatll come soon. 

NortheastRadar-09Z-06Dec03.gif.409919378fcd4f6fe03fb45b6edb588c.gifNortheastRadar-15Z-06Dec03.gif.87874895f4f46f8aa5cab6ada3053d6a.gifNortheastRadar-21Z-06Dec03.gif.26910e5745272615e5e27568f71af522.gif

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

15 years ago the Blizzard of 2005 best birthday gift I ever got!  Really what got me hooked into the weather!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE 

National Weather Service Taunton MA 
846 AM EST Sun Jan 23 2005 

The blizzard of 2005 is now in progress across parts of coastal Southern New England, as those in Massachusetts and Rhode Island endure a storm comparable to the blizzard of 78. 

This storm is now blasting Eastern Massachusetts, northeast Connecticut and Rhode Island in all its fury with whiteout conditions, temperatures plummeting into the single numbers and teens, northeast to north winds of 50 to 70 mph creating drifts to at least 6 feet, in exposed areas. 

Travel is not recommended until sometime late today or tomorrow, to give crews which in some cases May have stopped clearing roads for safety reasons, an opportunity to clear roads later today when the storm starts moving away. 

The storm at 8 AM was still located about 50 miles east southeast of Nantucket and will end up dumping about 16 to 24 inches of snow in the Connecticut River Valley, 20 to 30 inches from Manchester and Nashua New Hampshire through Worcester and Rhode Island. The jackpot will be Eastern Massachusetts where 28 to 38 inch amounts will be common. 

Nantucket Will end up with less snow because of its warmer conditions and closer proximity to the storm center but blizzard conditions will arrive there this morning. 

This is likely to be a record setting snowstorm in Boston when comparing against data, dating back to 1892. For Providence this should be a top 3 snow event. The 7 AM reports of 17.8 inches at providences TF Green airport and 19.8 inches at Bostons Logan airport makes this the 6th worst snowstorm in Southeastern New England Interstate 95 history dating back to at least 1905, and heading for at least top 3 ranking by days end. 

Blizzard or near blizzard conditions will occur along the coast and high terrain this morning and then gradually recede to only the immediate coast during the afternoon. 

This is a potentially life threatening situation for those who venture out during the height of the storm this morning. 

Again, travel is not recommended until late today. 

If you leave the safety of being indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, ScituateWX said:

15 years ago the Blizzard of 2005 best birthday gift I ever got!  Really what got me hooked into the weather!

The blizzard of 2005 is now in progress across parts of coastal Southern New England, as those in Massachusetts and Rhode Island endure a storm comparable to the blizzard of 78. 

This storm is now blasting Eastern Massachusetts, northeast Connecticut and Rhode Island in all its fury with whiteout conditions, temperatures plummeting into the single numbers and teens, northeast to north winds of 50 to 70 mph creating drifts to at least 6 feet, in exposed areas. 

Travel is not recommended until sometime late today or tomorrow, to give crews which in some cases May have stopped clearing roads for safety reasons, an opportunity to clear roads later today when the storm starts moving away. 

The storm at 8 AM was still located about 50 miles east southeast of Nantucket and will end up dumping about 16 to 24 inches of snow in the Connecticut River Valley, 20 to 30 inches from Manchester and Nashua New Hampshire through Worcester and Rhode Island. The jackpot will be Eastern Massachusetts where 28 to 38 inch amounts will be common. 

Nantucket Will end up with less snow because of its warmer conditions and closer proximity to the storm center but blizzard conditions will arrive there this morning. 

This is likely to be a record setting snowstorm in Boston when comparing against data, dating back to 1892. For Providence this should be a top 3 snow event. The 7 AM reports of 17.8 inches at providences TF Green airport and 19.8 inches at Bostons Logan airport makes this the 6th worst snowstorm in Southeastern New England Interstate 95 history dating back to at least 1905, and heading for at least top 3 ranking by days end. 

Blizzard or near blizzard conditions will occur along the coast and high terrain this morning and then gradually recede to only the immediate coast during the afternoon. 

This is a potentially life threatening situation for those who venture out during the height of the storm this morning. 

painful memories.

glad it worked out for you though.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, ScituateWX said:

I got 10 inches from the storm

On 12/26/2019 at 11:35 PM, The 4 Seasons said:

Fantasy storm for us SSSNE folk. Since 2000-2001 and 2010-2011 were amazing i thought it would be appropriate to include this in the 2030-2031 season. 

Enjoy :weenie:

12.24.30_fantasy_storm_forecast.jpg

Very passive aggressive to those in CNE and NNE.

However I'm good with it. Extended out to the HV I'm guessing I'm in the 24-36 inch band. That might even be enough for me not to gripe about the 48-60 inch totals 50 miles to my east. Upon reflection probably not, I'd be annoyed.

• Weenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:35 AM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Very passive aggressive to those in CNE and NNE.

However I'm good with it. Extended out to the HV I'm guessing I'm in the 24-36 inch band. That might even be enough for me not to gripe about the 48-60 inch totals 50 miles to my east. Upon reflection probably not, I'd be annoyed.

I can't tell if this a joke or you're actually serious.

39 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I got 28 inches in SEPA from this storm.  First time ever seeing thunder and lightning during a snowstorm.

That's awesome dude. I was more than pleased with 14.4" from that storm considering with less than 24hrs to go many models were showing a whiff and i remember the EC ensembles were split 50/50 from basically nothing to 2 feet.

I've experienced probably a dozen TSSN events since living in CT and i remember the first one was the most impressive to this date. I had CG lightning strike less than 100ft away and loud summertime convective claps. I remember being a kid then and didn't even know it was possible to get thunder and lightning during a snow storm. 

Id love to get 28", never seen a storm that big. 

3 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

That's awesome dude. I was more than pleased with 14.4" from that storm considering with less than 24hrs to go many models were showing a whiff and i remember the EC ensembles were split 50/50 from basically nothing to 2 feet.

I've experienced probably a dozen TSSN events since living in CT and i remember the first one was the most impressive to this date. I had CG lightning strike less than 100ft away and loud summertime convective claps. I remember being a kid then and didn't even know it was possible to get thunder and lightning during a snow storm. 

Id love to get 28", never seen a storm that big. 

I wish I was more in tune with the weather back then.  Definitely one of my favorite at-home storm memories.

Last January 8-11th, 2019 at Smuggler Notch is definitely the best event I've experienced with 38 inches. That was a huge positive bust with really localized upslope bands. Stowe, 4 miles south reported 'just' 27 inches.  What an amazing experience and all-time east coast snowboarding.  Also had two 2ft+ storms at Jay last march that were incredible and a few other foot+ pow days in southern vt that were fun but rocky...  I got really lucky, especially since I was working full time in PA picking and choosing 7 days in advance on storms. This year has been much slower for me.  

16 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I got 28 inches in SEPA from this storm.  First time ever seeing thunder and lightning during a snowstorm.

Full whiff up here from Jan '16. 
My 1st (of 3 lifetime) thundersnow came 12/24/1966.  I learned 2 things that day as I was out hunting in NNJ - first, that 345 KV powerlines are hot (temp-wise) as I could hear flakes "popping" as I walked the edge of the R-O-W.  2nd one took 2 booms to convince me, as #1 merely confused - "It can't thunder during snow, can it?"  After the 2nd and louder one my thought was "This is going to be something special."  By then we had SN+ and 4-5" new, and the storm finished about 15".

20 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I went down to western Chester County for that one, hours and hours of 2" per hour rates.  I think Philly itself sucked some exhaust from those suburb bands and ended up relatively screwed.

rps20200218_152753.thumb.jpg.1c0954478e48e4fea208858ae15e0e73.jpg

rps20200218_154427.thumb.jpg.299511bab4138da22dff4bbe18fcd607.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I went down to western Chester County for that one, hours and hours of 2" per hour rates.  I think Philly itself sucked some exhaust from those suburb bands and ended up relatively screwed.

"Relatively" being the operative term, as 22.4" (Philly's 4th biggest) isn't too shabby.

5 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Great pictures!  I live on Chester county and my area definitely hit the jackpot on that storm.  Further south and west along the MD border I'm pretty sure there were totals closing in on 40". 

15 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Lol...didnt realize it was that much. Thought it was in the 15-18 range. So yea, 22" works. I haven't seen that much in one event in the 5 years here in VT.

I've seen 2 such >22" events in 22 winters here, 12/03 and 2/09, and have to go back to 1984 (in Fort Kent) to find another one.  Unless you're at Stowe or Jay Peak, or in prime LES country, that kind of dump isn't coming every winter.  :o