Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Nice, pics or it didn't happen!

That looks like a pretty legit 20+ though.

• 2 years later...

I noticed a lot of discussion threads get cluttered with comments, links and photos of past winter storms (myself included). So, i wanted to create a universal thread for all discussion of past winter storms in New England. Here you can share memories, thoughts, photos, links, whatever you want for any winter storm. This is the place to weenie out and relieve the stress from those ratters or dull periods.

So to start i wanted to post some links for past winter storms in the Northeast.

1. Ray's Winter Storm Archive (1993-2013) Excellent place to find a lot of data of snow storms in New England/Tri-State

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/Weather.html

2. NWS issuing product by CWA. Here you can find PNS, WSW, ZFP products for our local FOs from 1993-Present

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/list.phtml

3. NERFC Daily Snowfall, Snow Depth & Forecast Snowfall

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/snow

If anyone has similar type archive links, please please share them. Also post photos, maps, etc from past winter storms.

• Like 1

I am going to attach the maps for the past winter storms from last season, 18-19. I never got around to doing Mar 2nd and Mar 3rd-4th winter storms in CT but i will get them done and upload soon. 

I am working on new style maps for this coming 19-20 winter season with new color coding for snowfall amounts. 

Ranges (this is mostly for me to look back on)

Snow:

White: Nothing or next to nothing i.e. C-1"

Light Blue: Light accumulations, sub advisory i.e. 1-3"

Blue: Moderate accumulations, adivsory level, i.e. 3-6"

Yellow: Heavy accumulations, warning level, i.e. 6-10"

Red: Significantly heavy accumulations greater than yellow, double digit snowfall, warning level, i.e. 10-15"

Purple: Very heavy accumulations greater than red, major or near record breaking, warning level, i.e. 18-24"

Dark Purple: Extremely heavy accumulations greater than purple, historic and record breaking, i.e. 24-36"

Lime Green: Crippling accumulations greater than dark purple, all-time and histoirc levels, i.e. 36-60"

Ice:

White: Nothing or next to nothing i.e. 0

Light Pink: Measurable, adivsory level, i.e. 0.10-0.20"

Purple: Significant greater than light pink, advisory level, i.e. 0.20-0.40"

Dark Purple: Major icing greater than purple, warning level, i.e. 0.40-0.70"

Lime Green: Crippling ice, major damage, more than dark purple, warning level, i.e. .70-1.00"

Dark Green: Historic, all-time and record breaking, more than lime green i.e. 1.00-2.00"

11.16.18_snow_totals.jpg

01.20.19_snow_totals.jpg

01.20.19_ice_totals.jpg

02.12.19_snow_totals.jpg

02.19.19_snow_totals.jpg

02.20.19_snow_totals.jpg

3 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

12-20-2009

500mb_20091220-06Z.gif

NortheastRadar_20091220-06Z.gif

NJSnow_20091219.png

I believe that was the storm where I first became aware of Eastern and of weather discussion boards in general. It was a glorious discovery to find that others shared my enthusiasm. The storm itself was fun, although I recall agonizing a bit as that epic deform band stalled just east of my location and pummeled southeast CT.