Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Thanksgiving Week Winter Storm(s)

CheeselandSkies

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

8.3” officially at the airport.

Storm is winding down here. The bottom inch or two on paved surfaces is very wet. Probably similar to what others in the sub-forum experienced in the storms earlier this month. Pavement temperatures must still be fairly warm because I shoveled over 8” off my wood deck but only 5” off my driveway. Maybe some compaction too. 

About mirrors our November 11th storm. 9" on the grass,  a heart attack 5-6" on the cement 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Surprising... would've thought that record was a bit higher. 

49 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Surprised me too. Annual average is only 30.64” I guess we are just far NW enough to have less GoM influence. International Falls only averages 24.26” annually.

I pulled this map from the CoCoRaHS site.  Although it shows the mean rather than the average, you can see what you described concerning the Gulf's influence. Precip really drops off as you head Northwest.

Annual Precip.png

• Like 1

Glad I was off from work due to expecting family coming up from Ohio. I talked to them Tuesday telling them to forget it due to they would be stuck sitting in Chicago when the flight was cancelled which it was due to the snow up here. It was pretty brutal here yesterday. Now I will be spending the day digging out before the next one this weekend. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IWXwx said:

The weather isn't bothering the birds at all bo. You try to keep the feeders full all winter?

Oh yes... I enjoy taking care of the birds all year... woodpeckers and black caps mostly, they're the only ones that stick around.

Ended up with far less snow than predicted.  Instead of 10:1 slr's, it was more like 7-8:1. Without power, I fell asleep pretty quick once it got dark so I didn't get a final measurement but this morning the the driveway has 18-20" of wind-packed concrete you can pretty much walk on top of and it was clear prior.

Still no power... felt like the longest night ever, so quiet and dark.  I'm addicted to my fan I'm pretty sure!

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

• Like 4

Several reports of gusts 55-60 around here and a few 60-65.  Had about a 1-2 hour period where sustained winds were never less than 30 and as high as 45 between 11 and 1 yesterday which I thought was more impressive than the gusts.  Neighbor across the way lost an 800 sq. ft. unfinished room addition.  The roof ended up flipping over on the main house roof and sliding off.  Looked like the famous video of the roof flying off in Hawaii during hurricane Iniki  lol.  (Neighbors an idiot probably used staples and Elmers glue building it :guitar:)

Happy Tryptophan day y'all :thumbsup:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Oh yes... I enjoy taking care of the birds all year... woodpeckers and black caps mostly, they're the only ones that stick around.

Ended up with far less snow than predicted.  Instead of 10:1 slr's, it was more like 7-8:1. Without power, I fell asleep pretty quick once it got dark so I didn't get a final measurement but this morning the driveway has 18-20" of wind-packed concrete you can pretty much walk on top of and it was clear prior.

Still no power... felt like the longest night ever, so quiet and dark.  I'm addicted to my fan I'm pretty sure!

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

But that's one helluva base!

• Like 1

LOT afternoon afd made a good point about the possibility of heavier bursts of snow on Sunday despite model qpf being on the low side.  Forecast soundings have fairly steep lapse rates all the way up to 500 mb.  Low level temps look a bit problematic but it may at least look pretty intense at times.

32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

LOT afternoon afd made a good point about the possibility of heavier bursts of snow on Sunday despite model qpf being on the low side.  Forecast soundings have fairly steep lapse rates all the way up to 500 mb.  Low level temps look a bit problematic but it may at least look pretty intense at times.

Maybe our first ever “Snow Squall Warnings” could be issued in our neck of the woods?

• Weenie 1