Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Thanksgiving Week Winter Storm(s)

CheeselandSkies

3 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Bo, you are making our forecast look like child’s play. Enjoy the fresh snow and stay safe! 

Nice to be in the local/regional bullseye.

image.thumb.png.fc3e92b555ff54be7b8c6d5986db4267.png

A foot of wet snow/wind in MSP during one of the biggest travel times of the year is still a huge deal...a bigger deal than the fuss the storm's going to cause up here.

Had to post this just because... don't very often see modeled totals for a single storm like this.  Over 40" 

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

A foot of wet snow/wind in MSP during one of the biggest travel times of the year is still a huge deal...a bigger deal than the fuss the storm's going to cause up here.

Had to post this just because... don't very often see modeled totals for a single storm like this.  Over 40" 

snku_acc.us_mw.png

Crazy, it’s only for this upcoming storm. You’ll cash in this weekend as well I assume. 

Tomorrow will be a very interesting travel day. I don’t have work but do have a work mandated physical at 7:45am which will be fun. Photos to come.

Models have a band of 50-55 kt winds at 925 mb swinging through tomorrow, so even if mixing to 850 mb doesn't occur, it shouldn't be that tough to get gusts near warning criteria.  I do think there could be some gusts nudging over 60 mph in LOT... maybe not frequent gusts over 60 mph at any given location but at least isolated/scattered.  Area near/south of I-80 may be slightly favored for that.  

NAM trying for some front end wintry stuff farther south of where other models have been advertising.  It is the NAM so it could be out to lunch... however, the surface high is decently positioned initially so maybe could have just enough low level cold air hanging around.  Something to watch anyway for those who are mostly sitting on the sidelines winter wx wise.

namconus_ref_frzn_ncus_fh60-84.thumb.gif.0b3818d1fb33febb72e1ffe84375263c.gif

• Like 1

Gusted to 66mph, sustained at 47mph, at 238am in my backyard in Fenton, MO. These winds are no joke, and this part of metro STL is very hilly, so there's probably a small amount of topographic effects. Plenty of power flashes and very audible tree cracking in the area.

It's been a couple years since I've witnessed non-convective or tropical winds like this.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Just an incredible plastering going on right now.  Have already accumulated what looks to be 4-5", and point has another 27" possible through tonight.

This is not going to be an easy storm to dig out from.  

MQT_snow_00-24hr.png.09502fcc20309b95b0da6c2e7204c5be.png

So jealous. Pretty incredible that to date, the peak snow depth at Marquette had been 3" while the peak depth at Detroit had been 9". But now id kill to be up there.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

So jealous. Pretty incredible that to date, the peak snow depth at Marquette had been 3" while the peak depth at Detroit had been 9". But now id kill to be up there.

I've learned living up here that, it's not if the snow comes, it's when.

Must have had some freezing drizzle or rain during the night,  just opened the door and took a quick peek out and I could hear the ice in the trees crackling.  It's helping the heavy, wet snow stick to the trees even better.  Just a matter of time until power becomes an issue.  Glad I've got everything for Thanksgiving already :D  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I've learned living up here that, it's not if the snow comes, it's when.

Must have had some freezing drizzle or rain during the night,  just opened the door and took a quick peek out and I could hear the ice in the trees crackling.  It's helping the heavy, wet snow stick to the trees even better.  Just a matter of time until power becomes an issue.  Glad I've got everything for Thanksgiving already :D  

Down here its not if the snow comes, its when. A better analogy for you would be, its not if ill need the yardstick, its when. Speaking of snow, the last of my snow piles melted overnight. Time to start again lol

• Haha 1

8.3” officially at the airport.

Storm is winding down here. The bottom inch or two on paved surfaces is very wet. Probably similar to what others in the sub-forum experienced in the storms earlier this month. Pavement temperatures must still be fairly warm because I shoveled over 8” off my wood deck but only 5” off my driveway. Maybe some compaction too. 

• Like 3