Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

7 minutes ago, doncat said:

Don't you keep them up thru the first week of Jan?

Nah... I like them up from Thanksgiving Week until now. Same with my tree. Spending tomorrow and Saturday getting everything down and packed away.

I love Christmas and how you're supposed to go through the New Year and Epiphany, but I'm done once the 26th rolls around. 

1 minute ago, North and West said:

Nah... I like them up from Thanksgiving Week until now. Same with my tree. Spending tomorrow and Saturday getting everything down and packed away.

I love Christmas and how you're supposed to go through the New Year and Epiphany, but I'm done once the 26th rolls around. 

Yeah I really enjoy the holidays...feel a big letdown after new years. Have a happy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, North and West said:

I keep it up to the 1st but that’s it.  Starts so early I’m sick of it by even now 

• Haha 1

With the holidays ending and the warmth upon us, I'm already longing for spring.

Luckily the days will be getting longer now. Teleconnections say we should expect AN to well AN temperatures for weeks on end. 

Do not buy the nonsense GFS week 2 forecasts, as Bluewave has posted numerous times, they always underestimate the SE ridging.

Unless the Pacific pattern completely changes, expect more of the same. 

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

With the holidays ending and the warmth upon us, I'm already longing for spring.

Luckily the days will be getting longer now. Teleconnections say we should expect AN to well AN temperatures for weeks on end. 

Do not buy the nonsense GFS week 2 forecasts, as Bluewave has posted numerous times, they always underestimate the SE ridging.

The same of what ?

It`s a 2 firm week break , then the cold will return.

The question is for how long. 

Slide09(222).jpg.a3367595c0f56a81d8b38a8696d2512f NOV 1 - DEC 20.jpg

22 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It takes a brief tour in 7 and maybe 8 (low end) then heads across the COD into 4 

Careful with those RIMM plots they chase convection. 

The MJO will fade into 7/ 8 after week 2 then you will see where it goes from there. 

43 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Lolololol

No snowstorm for St. Augustine any more like it showed a few days ago? :(

Like last year, I won’t be interested in anything until the MJO goes into a favorable phase and the Pacific jet quiets down. Until then we stay with the SE ridge and cutters to cold behind them. NAO blocking won’t be enough to help or it will make things worse by being positive. We’re stuck in the same raging Pacific, lousy MJO and NAO as last winter. Hopefully something can make it change soon. 

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

No snowstorm for St. Augustine any more like it showed a few days ago? :(

Like last year, I won’t be interested in anything until the MJO goes into a favorable phase and the Pacific jet quiets down. Until then we stay with the SE ridge and cutters to cold behind them. NAO blocking won’t be enough to help or it will make things worse by being positive. We’re stuck in the same raging Pacific, lousy MJO and NAO as last winter. Hopefully something can make it change soon. 

Yeah March, given how eerily identical the pattern progression has been I'd be shocked if March/April weren't cold/wet.

Through at least January 10, a strong AO+/EPO+ pattern possibly coupled with a generally negative SOI for some of the period appears likely.

Below is the latest GEFS 500 mb height anomalies at 360 hours:

GEFS1226201912z360h.jpg

The answer to the question for the circled area depends on whether the AO+/EPO+ pattern persists.

Here are the composite 500 mb height anomalies for January cases when the AO averaged +1.000 or above, the EPO was positive, and the SOI averaged < 0:

Composite12262019.jpg

Those are composite monthly figures. They do not preclude a pattern change to colder. Indeed, one such case (2006-07) saw a dramatic change to colder weather. Much of the eastern half of the CONUS was colder than normal during the closing 10 days of January.

The January 22-31, 2007 average 500 mb height anomalies are below:

Jan22-312007.jpg

In sum:

- A persistent AO+/EPO+ (especially with an SOI-) pattern would favor a warm January overall in much or all of the East
- Such a pattern would not preclude a dramatic pattern change later in the month

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I must be living in a different city I agree with PB. 7 straight weeks of below normal temps above normal snowfall for half of this sub forum and now we're in a 10 day or so period of above normal temps. I mean it can't stay below normal for the whole winter we're going to go above normal for stretches. I know it sucks being around the holiday time that we warm up but what can we do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Through at least January 10, a strong AO+/EPO+ pattern coupled with a generally negative SOI appears likely.

Below is the latest GEFS 500 mb height anomalies at 360 hours:

GEFS1226201912z360h.jpg

The answer to the question for the circled area depends on whether the AO+/EPO+ pattern persists.

Here are the composite 500 mb height anomalies for January cases when the AO averaged +1.000 or above, the EPO was positive, and the SOI averaged < 0:

Composite12262019.jpg

Those are composite monthly figures. They do not preclude a pattern change to colder. Indeed, one such case (2006-07) saw a dramatic change to colder weather. Much of the eastern half of the CONUS was colder than normal during the closing 10 days of January.

The January 22-31, 2007 average 500 mb height anomalies are below:

Jan22-312007.jpg

In sum:

- A persistent AO+/EPO+ (especially with an SOI-) pattern would favor a warm January overall in much or all of the East
- Such a pattern would not preclude a dramatic pattern change later in the month

Don, the trough is in for 5 days before that and then the ridge axis backs up.

The trough drills in by the 5th 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_42.png

And the last piece exits around the 9th 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_58.png

You may have snowed by then. 

The d15 ridge is likely if the trough pulls back , but then the trough will come east again if the MJO can fade into 8.

There`s no S/E ridge in the 8 - 12. 

You have a - SOI burst, you will likely see a response on the E/C in 10 days. 

• Like 1

Just now, binbisso said:

It's also very easy to be plus two in January and above normal in snowfall just keep the pattern active

The main area of concern for most here is that the mean storm path is to the lakes and then it`s cold on the backside with the vortex sitting in Canada.

These guys aren`t trading Nat Gas so they are not concerned about 5 day increments.

If it doesn`t snow plus 2 for many here may as well be plus 10. 

• Like 1

Just now, PB-99 said:

Don, the trough is in for 5 days before that and then the ridge axis backs up.

The trough drills in by the 5th 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_42.png

And the last piece exits around the 9th 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_58.png

You may have snowed by then. 

The d15 ridge is likely if the trough pulls back , but then the trough will come east again if the MJO can fade into 8.

There`s no S/E ridge in the 8 - 12. 

You have a - SOI burst, you will likely see a response on the E/C in 10 days. 

Yes. That's the guidance right now. But it is somewhat disconnected with the forecast teleconnections. The MJO will certainly need to be watched closely. Hopefully, it will get into Phase 8 and stay there for some time, but a lot can change between now and 15 days. Overall, strong AO+/EPO+ patterns are warmer ones (not necessarily wall-to-wall warmth and not necessarily snowless). If the forecast teleconnections play out, one might begin to see more ridging in the Southeast, much as happened recently vs. ensemble forecasts from two weeks ago (a point Bluewave highlighted above). January 2000 was an exception to the rule concerning AO+/EPO+ January cases.

The picture should become clearer in about a week or so. But right now there is consensus on the GEFS and EPS concerning the state of the EPO and AO, though not on the 500 mb pattern or 2m temperature anomalies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yes. That's the guidance right now. But it is somewhat disconnected with the forecast teleconnections. The MJO will certainly need to be watched closely. Hopefully, it will get into Phase 8 and stay there for some time, but a lot can change between now and 15 days. Overall, strong AO+/EPO+ patterns are warmer ones (not necessarily wall-to-wall warmth and not necessarily snowless). If the forecast teleconnections play out, one might begin to see more ridging in the Southeast, much as happened recently vs. ensemble forecasts from two weeks ago (a point Bluewave highlighted above). January 2000 was an exception to the rule concerning AO+/EPO+ January cases.

The picture should become clearer in about a week or so. But right now there is consensus on the GEFS and EPS concerning the state of the EPO and AO, though not on the 500 mb pattern or 2m temperature anomalies.

The + AO regime portrayed now is due to the TPV sitting in W Canada, so the heights underneath are higher but not warm.

The 9 - 13 is BN for good reason, you are getting pieces of the trough to break off with short wavelengths.

gfs-ens_T850aMean_us_9.png

Is it transient ( 4 - 5 days ) possible , the ridge out near the Aleutians is  a little too far west and doesn`t eject the low heights out of W Canada.

Any softening there will allow the negative to drain down along the Rockies and that`s what kicks the SE ridge up.

I am not even looking at day 15, I am looking closer in by day 10. 

Here`s your problem the ridge is too far S and not far enough E , so as it releases the trough does not drive S/E it drives due S.

That`s what causes the SE ridge to pop back up.

And it should until the MJO reaches p8 and pushes this along. 

gfs-ens_z500aMean_npac_10.png

12 minutes ago, binbisso said:

It's also very easy to be plus two in January and above normal in snowfall just keep the pattern active

The main problem since last winter has been the unfavorable Pacific with plenty of cutter and hugger storm tracks. The temperature departures haven’t been the big issue. A cold first 3 weeks of December was only able to produce 2.5 inches of snow in NYC. Areas Inland  from the coastal plain can did much better. Even last January that went -0.1 in NYC was only able to produce 1.1 inches of snow. It’s no coincidence that the best snowfall rates this December and last January in NYC were snow squalls.

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

The main problem since last winter has been the unfavorable Pacific with plenty of cutter and hugger storm tracks. The temperature departures haven’t been the big issue. A cold first 3 weeks of December was only able to produce 2.5 inches of snow in NYC. Areas Inland    from the coastal plain can did much better. Even last January that went -0.1 in NYC was only able to produce 1.1 inches of snow. It’s no coincidence that the best snowfall rates this December and last January in NYC were snow squalls.

Colts Neck has 6 in December as does PSV out on Long Island, and I believe UNC in Staten Island has 4.5 , all AN.  The city was jumped twice.

Not saying it was snowy by any means and my Dec departure is plus 1 as is my Jan departure. ( Feb was always my best month ).

But the main issue is the ridge is too far west, we don`t have a fast PAC like last year and the result is the same but how we are getting there is different.