Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

6 hours ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Ahh. Climate change. Historically there is on about an 11-12% chance of a white Christmas in NYC at Central Park. That's every 10 -12 years. Must be my pickup truck and lawnmower causing this warming? Can you tell me what the temps in late December in our area were 5,297 years ago?

Sorry, but I do not argue about established facts.

5 hours ago, wishcast_hater said:

Your not gonna win against those who believe the hoax is real. Science doesn’t lie but scientists do and people can’t understand that they will cherry pick and bend the results to fit the agenda. Provide government money to show climate change is a hoax and watch how fast people change  there tune. 

You can make a lot more money spewing drivel if you take it from the energy cartel, way more than the paltry stipends real, peer reviewed scientists get. The Pentagon and the insurance industry sure don't think its a hoax, and those are some mighty serious people. The facts are true whether you believe them or not. If the doctor says you have a disease, you don't have to believe it. But it will not change the diagnosis.

1 minute ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I believe that climate change is real

i also believe it is natural

i also believe we may impact it with fossil fuels and we should use clean energy 

but i believe it happens with or without us

Without us it does not happen so rapidly. Which means we have the ability to change it. But some people find that inconvenient.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

We do have proof because its happening now. Each year is warmer than the last (essentially). 

I will be direct. Why deny? What is the motivation? Is it simply because it is a cause supported by liberals? Is there something else? I really dont understand why people deny, unless they work for the fossil fuel industry. 

Denial is strongly linked to a tribal identity with a particular segment peculiar to the United States. There is no point in arguing with these folks. It is like trying to convince someone to convert to another religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

This thread is garbage on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to all. Wish we could show everyone how science is really done and I have never received my big payday from the government for showing tick risk increasing to the north as climate warms. Which department do I write to receive my compensation? 

Thank you. Facts, in the words of John Adams, are stubborn things. You're at Fordham IIRC?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Still no one has replied what the average yearly temps were in NYC area in the 1400's, 1500's, 1600's, 1700's, 1800's etc. And we can ask what were the temps thousands of years before that? Giving computer data showing rising temps in the last 100 years is meaningless. 

Enlighten us.

It amazes me how people who follow the weather, understand somewhat of the complexities of the atmosphere and understand how many dozens of factors need to be taken into account to Just to have a general winter forecast for a general area.Yet these people still believe that the global climate For the next 50 or 100 years is all related to one factor greenhouse gases.There’s certain that there are hundreds of other factors that can mitigate whatever affect greenhouse gases have.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

So your motivation is to protect those people who are concerned from themselves?

Motivation can be a double edge sword some climate change enthusiasts are Motivated to have people protect them selves that they feel it’s OK to distort data such as with the famous polar bear picture.

9 minutes ago, SHELEG said:

Motivation can be a double edge sword some climate change enthusiasts are Motivated to have people protect them selves that they feel it’s OK to distort data such as with the famous polar bear picture.

The fake polar bear picture. That's a good one Lol! There's still some low information voters who still believe that was real. Anyway,  have a Merry Christmas. It's cold out. 27. I'm going to go start and idle my Ford diesel all night to help warm the planet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The last 7 days of December are averaging 44degs., or about 10degs. AN.

Month to date is  -1.5[37.0].        December should end near  +1.0[38.5].

35* here at 6am. (fell steadily 1*/hr. since it was briefly 50* at 3pm yesterday)  My prediction days ago that my location may miss 32* again for remainder of year looks good.         38* by 9am.   41* at 10am.      44* at 11am.     46* at Noon.      48* by 3pm.

No really BN days till Jan. 05 when the GFS has a 13" Snowstorm to boot(you'll need yours).    Then we go to the single digits with great snow cover to back us up.    So it seems the first 10 days of January could have the following:  a 50 degree day, a snowstorm and a single digit AM.   Just dream of Jan. 05 when looking for your White Christmas this AM.    lol

Of course the NAEFS shows none of the above:

Additionally the TeleConnections look pitiful on all the models/ensembles.      Really, they look better now with our end of the year heatwave.

2019122500_054@007_E1_knyc_I_NAEFS@EPSGR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like 2019 will go out with the prevailing stuck weather pattern. Storm track corrects warmer from the initial day 10 forecast. So it’s fitting that this year will end on the mild and wet side.

New 120 hr

FC2AECE9-61A2-4863-A7C9-53B1AFFB4E0E.thumb.png.38d778206b15edf4d47b0645b09d912f.png

Old 240 hr

7C4E4DB3-E0AD-437D-A8C8-D3FAF8432C3F.thumb.png.f550ce67ff50601b5c514fe92b6f1679.png

Hopefully thinks change as we head through January. The overnight runs weren't bad at all.

16 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Hopefully thinks change as we head through January. The overnight runs weren't bad at all.

The forecast strength of the TPV is near record levels for this time of year. That’s why the models have such a strong +AO rise coming up.

116726AC-D01A-4306-B083-0B4795D974D1.thumb.gif.db8d7771d73be654cbf58e43301d1b64.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Denial is strongly linked to a tribal identity with a particular segment peculiar to the United States. There is no point in arguing with these folks. It is like trying to convince someone to convert to another religion.

this 100%.

Seems like a few members of the board were feeling the xmas blues and drinking in their basements last night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The forecast strength of the TPV is near record levels for this time of year. That’s why the models have such a strong +AO rise coming up.

116726AC-D01A-4306-B083-0B4795D974D1.thumb.gif.db8d7771d73be654cbf58e43301d1b64.gif

I liked 1959-60 and 1992-93  for this winter and hopefully we get a major storm in March again...2004-05 could be a good analog...it had a warm start to January and cold and snowy end...

9 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

With all due respect, that statement is dripping in irony. 

It's rather a microcosm of how divided this nation is rapidly becoming. All sides are to blame. 

Debate and discourse is healthy in my opinion. Its unfortunate that both sides cannot have a dialog on a sensitive issue without devolving to ad hominem. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas and back to weather...

• Like 2

the idiot politicians that are saying we only have ten years left if we don't stop using fossil fuels are brain washing people...some people believe them...no doubt the earth is warming...its been doing this since the last ice age...what's worse...a few degrees warmer or another ice age?...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

With all due respect, that statement is dripping in irony. 

It's rather a microcosm of how divided this nation is rapidly becoming. All sides are to blame. 

Debate and discourse is healthy in my opinion. Its unfortunate that both sides cannot have a dialog on a sensitive issue without devolving to ad hominem. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas and back to weather...

Facts are not debatable. I studied history as an undergrad. We had our share of deniers there too. One does not debate with them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the idiot politicians that are saying we only have ten years left if we don't stop using fossil fuels are brain washing people...some people believe them...no doubt the earth is warming...its been doing this since the last ice age...what's worse...a few degrees warmer or another ice age?...

What exactly will happen due to climate change is open for discussion, but its existence as fact is not. Always side with the facts. If politicians actually did this, we'd be a much happier world. But I think we should all take this to the climate section, or feel the wrath of the moderators. TBH, it doesn't belong here. Slow weather week.We are all bored with it, I get that. 

Just now, Yankees29 said:

Same old story.  The politicians try to scare the crap out of people so those who fall for whatever the current narrative is will turn toward the pols to save them.  1970's we were being "saved" from Global Cooling.  I teach freshmen in college and it's sad to see (most of) them marching blindly along  like brainwashed zombies.  Making matters worse, they are also being told that anyone offering disagreement is creating an "unsafe space" and needs to be censored.

you got communists like Cornell Sanders and a-hole c spewing this nonsense...I have an old Mr. G almanac from the early 1980's and it was speculating about global cooling...that's just about the time the globe started warming instead...

• Thanks 1