Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

21 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

A very reasonable compromise.

The under counts from years past of the big storms for Central Park are legendary and infuriating. I don't have enough time to go over all of them, and you mentioned some of the big ones, and I don't want to get all worked up this morning delving into that subject.

On the positive side I think things have improved the last 4-5? years since the task has been taken from the incompetent, and I don't give a sh!t Central Park Zookeeper, to the Park Conservancy. They do seem to at least try to get accurate measurements. Many times in the past the zoo didn't even bother to measure, or just guessed and usually low as you stated.

they under measured the January 2000 storm...the 5.5" should have been 6" or more...even today they reported no snow depth after the other day...they reported 0.7" with no snow on the ground the next morning...I had a 0.1 or 0.2" and still can see a little snow on my lawn...they screw up snow depth also...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uncle W said:

they under measured the January 2000 storm...the 5.5" should have been 6" or more...even today they reported no snow depth after the other day...they reported 0.7" with no snow on the ground the next morning...I had a 0.1 or 0.2" and still can see a little snow on my lawn...they screw up snow depth also...

They undermeasured/estimated most of the 2009-10 storms too, aside from the big snowicane.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Up to 37 degrees here on the South Shore. The local landscape crews got  some nice weather for the last leaf clean up of the season. Actually feels like spring compared to the deep freeze on Thursday.

http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#network=nysm&stid=want

It does not feel like spring what so ever. It feels like a cold winter day!

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

So far, Isotherm’s winter forecast has been the most accurate....

With all due respect to isotherm who is awesome, not really. He had december 2-3.5 degrees above normal and below normal to way below normal snowfall. I have had a significantly below normal december so far(today is 5 consecutive days of temps below freezing) and I have 13 inches of snow this month with some sort of snow cover for most of this month. Albany area has double that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We are a hardy bunch here on the South Shore. Some joggers break out the shorts on the LB boardwalk when it gets above freezing. There was actually a runner in a spring track suit when it hit 2 degrees in January 2004. Surfers are out in any weather as long as there are waves.

Lol you guys are nuts!

On 2/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, snowman19 said:

The thing that “saved” the last few March’s was the strong -NAO blocks that would pop up at the beginning of the month, this year, that ain’t happening. There’s nothing to stop the PAC jet from just blasting across the CONUS this time

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Deep winter should show up in March as per usual for the last several winters lol March has become the new January 

Im liking january more and more by the minute...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We are a hardy bunch here on the South Shore. Some joggers break out the shorts on the LB boardwalk when it gets above freezing. There was actually a runner in a spring track suit when it hit 2 degrees in January 2004. Surfers are out in any weather as long as there are waves.

Wearing shorts to go for a run, ok...now if someone wears shorts to sit on a bench and watch the surf at 33 degrees, that would be a hardy soul LOL