Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

30 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Christmas Week is looking like 1982.       Ultimately that winter proved to be a 10-day flyby in the second week of Feb.       There seems to be almost no sub-zero 850mb T's during the period.

A dog chasing his own tail analogy may start to apply if early Jan. does not  change this, and promises of cold slip further into the future again.

That winter was in a very strong El Nino.  Thankfully this one isn't. 

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

Didn’t we have a snow squall warning? Wonder if that’s possible again tomorrow.

I remember the national weather service issuing a severe thunder snow squall warning a few years ago somewhere in upstate New York with CG lighting and intense winds along the passage of an arctic front.  God I wish I could have seen that! 

30 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Christmas Week is looking like 1982.       Ultimately that winter proved to be a 10-day flyby in the second week of Feb.       There seems to be almost no sub-zero 850mb T's during the period.

A dog chasing his own tail analogy may start to apply if early Jan. does not  change this, and promises of cold slip further into the future again.

We have been in a cold pattern since early Nov. Dont lose sight of that for one week over 40s

Im also propping up evergreens on my property that a bent over from ice as I type this 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

We have been in a cold pattern since early Nov. Dont lose sight of that for one week over 40s

Im also propping up evergreens on my property that a bent over from ice as I type this 

its a cold pattern for strictly mathematical reasons, but not a good pattern for snow.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

its a cold pattern for strictly mathematical reasons, but not a good pattern for snow.

Warm and wet storm track followed by cold and dry. But the last true Arctic air mass was over a month ago. Plenty of Pacific modification to the air mass over the CONUS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

4 wintry events this month, 12/1, 12/2, 12/10 and today.    Didn't yield giant totals, but not bad for early season wintry events

well being a winter purist, what I consider a wintry event is any event (no matter its size) that doesn't change to rain (unless at the very end of the event, when it doesn't really matter.)

Just now, Brian5671 said:

4 wintry events this month, 12/1, 12/2, 12/10 and today.    Didn't yield giant totals, but not bad for early season wintry events

Yeah and Nov was well below normal also...it's been wintry this month even though some of us haven't gotten the big snow totals. Very wintry Temps coming next several days also...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Has been much better for inland areas.  I can understand the coastal folks much more frustrated. 

I for one am not frustrated, I just dont like rain and cant wait for drier weather with lots of sunshine- regardless of temps lol.

I do get frustrated when someone tries to say that we've been "unlucky."  This has nothing to do with luck, it's all part of the pattern, just like it was last winter.

Years ago I remember seeing a chart that went something like this:

December: Inland (snow) City (mixed) Long Island (rain)

January: Inland (snow) City (snow) Long Island (mixed)

February: Inland (snow) City (snow) Long Island (snow)

I think this needs to be retooled a bit, as the big winter storms seem to start around January 20th now.  December is really more like an exhibition month, the preseason lol.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

back to normal climo at least for the time being.  Hartford CT has approx 30 inches of snow on the season while Bridgeport has 8

Hartford has recorded approximately 19.5 inches of snow through the season thus far. The average for this date is 5.2. So yes, we’ll ahead of the curve, not 30 inches. Where is the 30 inches coming from?

9E4AF2FE-5C20-4A34-AD16-69FD224B38BE.jpeg

11 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Hartford has recorded approximately 19.5 inches of snow through the season thus far. The average for this date is 5.2. So yes, we’ll ahead of the curve, not 30 inches. Where is the 30 inches coming from?

Up here in Poughkeepsie we are similar I believe snowfall wise.  Yes, climo no doubt a big factor. Don't worry, Jan and Feb will deliver imo. 

3 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

9E4AF2FE-5C20-4A34-AD16-69FD224B38BE.jpeg

typo, I meant to type 20, not 30.   Still, more than double what we have at the coast

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The interior leads in snowfall over the coast for the first 16 days of the month are at record levels. This isn’t the usual interior doing better than the coast for this time of year. I guess this is payback for January 2016.;)

Time Series Summary for Albany Area, NY (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Total Snowfall Dec 1 to Dec 16
NYC Snowfall
1 2003-12-16 27.1 19.8
2 1915-12-16 25.8 6.1
3 2019-12-16 24.5 1.8
4 1902-12-16 23.7 7.9
5 1981-12-16 23.0 2.1

Jan 2016 was the ultimate interior screw job.  I literally felt sick to my stomach seeing a dusting while 90 miles south had an ultimate 2 feet blizzard.  This will be very hard to make up for. 

Kind of like how March 2001 feels for so many around NYC and New Jersey, although that feeling was worse for them since the bullseye was initially there.  We interior folks were never in the game to begin with in Jan 16. 

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Jan 2016 was the ultimate interior screw job.  I literally felt sick to my stomach seeing a dusting while 90 miles south had an ultimate 2 feet blizzard.  This will be very hard to make up for. 

Kind of like how March 2001 feels for so many around NYC and New Jersey. 

Well you shoulda been here for 2/6/10, when you only had to go 10 miles down the NJ turnpike to see a foot, and more the further south you went....Boxing Day was also a mostly coastal event; 10 miles or so from the coast there was a huge cutoff. 

Just now, bluewave said:

I actually don’t mind missing out with such an unfavorable pattern for snowfall at the coast in December. It’s when patterns favorable for heavy snowstorms miss my area or don’t pan out. Watching the 50 DBZ snow band over CT on 2-9-13 and the big 1-26-15 miss were much harder to take.;)

2/6/10...the ultimate heartbreaker. At least those others delivered a decent snow if not an all out crush job. I had a 2 inch mini blizzard that day, complete with mini drifts of 4 -5 inches.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Well you shoulda been here for 2/6/10, when you only had to go 10 miles down the NJ turnpike to see a foot, and more the further south you went....Boxing Day was also a mostly coastal event; 10 miles or so from the coast there was a huge cutoff. 

Boxing Day actually delivered quite nicely up here in Poughkeepsie and surrounding.  We had 16 inches.  Not as much as the 2-3 foot amounts near the coast, but I was still very happy. 

50 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It depends on where you're located. In northeast Queens, I've gotten slightly more than bupkis. Around 2 inches total with some white rain mixed in. Heavy salt though so good for the salt lovers 

53 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

typo, I meant to type 20, not 30.   Still, more than double what we have at the coast

Definitely. Always latitude. We have been lucky in the nyc metro this past decade. My parents still live near Hartford so I was like my dad didn’t tell me about any 30 inches! Haha I still love to ski at Ski Sundown up there. My grandparents lives on the CT shore growing up and most Christmases we would have snow in central CT and they never had anything at the shore. We’ll see what this winter brings 

41 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s one of the biggest misses just to our south of all-time. Probably the most extreme bookend winter for snowfall. Very odd to get a 50” season in NYC with so little between 12-21 and 02-09. Only a few inches  more snowfall than over the same period last year.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Ending Date
Total Snowfall Dec 21 to Feb 9
Missing Count
2019-02-09 1.1 0
2018-02-09 12.4 0
2017-02-09 17.3 0
2016-02-09 30.5 0
2015-02-09 22.2 0
2014-02-09 32.9 0
2013-02-09 14.1 0
2012-02-09 4.3 0
2011-02-09 57.6 0
2010-02-09 4.6 0

All the storms missed my area to some extent that year, but even the "misses" left me with 8-12...with the exception of that one.