Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
11/24 storm obs

Damage In Tolland

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The HRRR did that on a storm last year then everyone ended up pissed off when it didn't happen, I take that model with a grain of salt.

It was spot on all day yesterday on the extended runs with precip slipping southeast significantly.

It honestly it was the first model to pull the rug out successfully and consecutively.

• Like 1

I'll give the HRRR another couple runs and see what happens. It's actually been strengthening the case for a flip to snow in SNE with each run....not weakening it as we usually see as we get closer. But it's still the HRRR more than 6 hours out, so you proceed with caution. If we're still seeing massive stingers on the 16z run, then it might be real.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I don't find it very reliable quite honestly, You won't hear me mention it, But i usually get a good laugh out of it when i look at it.

Ha, see it’s worked well for me up here.  

I’m going to start calling it Doctor No.  Each event has underperformed up here from 24-30 hours out and it’s always the HRRR that breaks the bad news.  I cant get excited until I see that thing go nuts.

Thats why I posted it yesterday and it’s been spot on up here lol

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha, see it’s worked well for me up here.  

I’m going to start calling it Doctor No.  Each event has underperformed up here from 24-30 hours out and it’s always the HRRR that breaks the bad news.  I cant get excited until I see that thing go nuts.

lol

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah hrrr was showing the slide SE so I’ll give it credit there. In general, I feel the extended stuff does waffle. 

It's hot and cold like any other short term meso model....I remember it shat the bed really bad in the Xmas 2017 storm...didn't figure it out until like 4 hours before it started. It was also too far west in the March 13, 2018 storm (the big one). But it has its coups too.

23 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Can someone translate this?

Raindrops falling are more wide than tall as they get bigger.  (Pancake shape if updrafts get strong in convection)

As they get smaller and/or freeze they become more spherical, so the horizontal polarized radar beam and the vertical polarized radar beam start getting closer in their returned power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, radarman said:

Raindrops falling on radar are more wide than tall as they get bigger.  (Pancake shape if updrafts get strong in convection)

As they get smaller and/or freeze they become more spherical, so the horizontal polarized radar beam and the vertical polarized radar beam start getting closer in their returned power.

Now he needs someone to translate this......:lol:

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

30.5F  Freezing rain.   Best I can tell it's snowing at Waterville Valley and Loon.  No mangled flakes here, just ZR.  Had a coating of snow and then bit of sleet earlier.  Temp inching up

Snowing on top, mix further down, although it seems to be doing nothing at the moment. 1/2” or so on the summit, have a hard time believing that we’ll hit the 4-7” forecast but a few quick bands this afternoon would go a long way.

43 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I don't find it very reliable quite honestly, You won't hear me mention it, But i usually get a good laugh out of it when i look at it.

Well, it was right in showing yesterday as sunny.  :)

.55" so far at ORH.  I'm not tossing in the towel yet for observing some flakes.