Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Seeing signs low heights in the PAC get displaced in the LR. 

I always look towards Hawaii.....There is a bit of a glimmer around there in the 11-15 day range, but....this might be the season of 2-3 weeks good, 2-3 weeks bad pattern. So lets hope for some good after say January 5-10 period.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Serious cold in AK Russia, that dam will break. Timing it

:wub: At least it's winter somewhere.  From Rick Thoman (AK state climatologist) twitter feed at one of my favorite webistes: http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/

Manley Hot Springs 15NE (near Eureka) cooperative observer reports -65F (-53.9C) Friday morning (obs only since summer 2016). This looks to be the lowest official temperature in Alaska since Ft. Yukon -66F (-54.4C) in January 2012. In case you are wondering, the lowest official temperature in #Alaska in December is -72F (-57.8C) on December 31, 1999 at Chicken (Taylor Highway south of Eagle).

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

:wub: At least it's winter somewhere.  From Rick Thoman (AK state climatologist) twitter feed at one of my favorite webistes: http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/

Manley Hot Springs 15NE (near Eureka) cooperative observer reports -65F (-53.9C) Friday morning (obs only since summer 2016). This looks to be the lowest official temperature in Alaska since Ft. Yukon -66F (-54.4C) in January 2012. In case you are wondering, the lowest official temperature in #Alaska in December is -72F (-57.8C) on December 31, 1999 at Chicken (Taylor Highway south of Eagle).

Its good to see Canada cold, they need it. But we know what that means for our weather down here...It should make everyone a bit nervous seeing the last temperature that cold was in January of 2012, what was the winter like in this neck of the woods in 2011/2012? :maphot:

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Its good to see Canada cold, they need it. But we know what that means for our weather down here...It should make everyone a bit nervous seeing the last temperature that cold was in January of 2012, what was the winter like in this neck of the woods in 2011/2012? :maphot:

The pig has been there but forecasted to flush in the longer range.

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Most of Canada is above normal temp wise lol with the exception of far northern Yukon. It's not a good pattern for any of us. 2011-12 sucked for us too. 

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was writing up my seasonal bible last fall knowing full well folks would be bailing when the PAC went to $hit around the holidays...especially on the heels of last year.

Funny-

Maybe those that didn’t get in on a high end event are...in fact without that storm ...I probably would be hanging on by a thread after last year 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

4 days to go in the month and negative departures all but eliminated.  Could end up slightly positive with at least 2 + days ahead.

Neg temp reduced to -1.2 and today will probably cut that in half unless evening is clear and temps dive.  Morn low here 31-32, average hi/lo for 12/28 is 28/9.  I'd guess the month finishes between -0.5 and +0.5.  Snow total could be half normal (currently 8.9" and average is 19.3) or could be close to par if act 2 overperforms.

55 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Neg temp reduced to -1.2 and today will probably cut that in half unless evening is clear and temps dive.  Morn low here 31-32, average hi/lo for 12/28 is 28/9.  I'd guess the month finishes between -0.5 and +0.5.  Snow total could be half normal (currently 8.9" and average is 19.3) or could be close to par if act 2 overperforms.

Down to -0.7F here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Have all the people comparing this year with 011-012 forgotten what November and December were like that winter? No friggin comparison thus far. Really.

About 6° colder this year, but snowfall a wash - 2.3" more this year thru 12/28 but 2011's pre T-Day 9.7" storm is way better than anything her so far.  (Also the biggest storm of the "winter") season.