Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

33 minutes ago, PaulyFromPlattsburgh said:

I remember this one. Short range models killed it. SREF, RUC, RAP, HRRR especially! I remember we had a raging +NAO also!

That was not a raging +NAO pattern....we actually had kind of a bootleg -NAO which helped out a bit. We had an ugly AK vortex during that, but the NAO was just enough to give us a few threat along with split flow out west which prevented a total PAC firehose torch.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I was just reading that thread and wondered where some went. Ate they alive? Like Allenson from Vt, how about that ice storm commander dude lol. Sankaty? So nice to have it preserved ,still choke up a little when I read a messenger post. Good stuff though 

I'm still bummed that eastern went off line. We had it online for many years after we migrated...maybe like 4-5 years. I had the 12/16/07 obs thread bookmarked because I loved watching all the totally surprised (and dumbfounded, lol) reactions when people woke up during that one.

The link is still in my bookmarks....lol:

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/?/topic/150209-sne-obsdiscussion-for-1216-noreaster/page__st__1210

It obviously doesn't work now.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I haven’t looked back to 2008 and 2009 but this might be best December in Greenfield since we moved here in 2007.

Almost certainly the snowiest Dec evah down this way.  Better than 07 and 08 for sure and nothing since has compared.  IIRC we got like 19" in the back to back storms in 08. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radarman said:

Almost certainly the snowiest Dec evah down this way.  Better than 07 and 08 for sure and nothing since has compared.  IIRC we got like 19" in the back to back storms in 08. 

How much do you have so far?

Not to be a nitpicker....but I'd bet that Dec 1945, 1947, 1969, 1970 all give this year a run for its money and likely a couple of them exceed this year. A couple of those were prob over 30" out there.

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd bet that Dec 1945, 1947, 1969, 1970 all give this year a run for its money and likely a couple of them exceed this year. A couple of those were prob over 30" out there.

just pulled the Amherst Coop data... For those Decembers you mention they report 18.8, 17.6, 24.2, and 26.6 respectively.  Granted the Amherst Coop hasn't done quite as well as MBY this year, so that 1970 number might edge it out at present, or is close.  (edit- always the possibility of missing data, but no indication thereof)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

just pulled the Amherst Coop data... For those Decembers you mention they report 18.8, 17.6, 24.2, and 26.6 respectively.  Granted the Amherst Coop hasn't done quite as well as MBY this year, so that 1970 number might edge it out at present, or is close.  (edit- always the possibility of missing data, but no indication thereof)

Oh, I thought you were up the hill a bit from Amherst in Belchertown/Pelham area. So that would have been a higher threshold....30" in Amherst in the valley could def be a record.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Oh, I thought you were up the hill a bit from Amherst in Belchertown/Pelham area. So that would have been a higher threshold....30" in Amherst in the valley could def be a record.

I'm at 540', but Belchertown rises sharply headed toward Pelham which is over 1k'.   Climatologically speaking we behave a little more like the valley I'd say... Amherst also has some latitude on me, and as we know this area is often close to the pinger battlezone where a little bit helps (like on Tuesday for example).  I'd say the extra 300' buys us maybe 5 inches more annual snow, and the longitude occasionally helps in coastals too.