Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

No way in hell we can complain. First off that’s a huge assumption for the interior. Secondly, I think ORH had like 0.2” last December. Pretty effing bad.

Tough to get a big long lasting pack in SNE in December. 

This is true......it's also tough to get between 20-30" of snow in December and have nothing to show for it.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH has 20 Decembers over 20 inches. But very few of them had that much by mid-month. 

Yeah, I can see getting 20" over the whole month, Chances of hanging on to snow pack increases as you get further along in Dec too if you can avoid the grinch, I avg 22" here for the month, But never had those totals in the first 10 days or so.

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I know sometimes for convection if you're looking for something subtle to get lift going, or in the tropics when the steering currents are tough to visualize, it helps.  Any good sites for that? I usually have a couple of ones that I normally look at. 

College of DuPage has the dynamic tropopause for the GFS, and Alicia Bentley has some good stuff on her UAlbany webpage. Pretty sure Tidbits does some now too.

14 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

The strong shortwave idea maybe even makes more sense to me as an untrained/uneducated layman.  So the PV(potential vorticity)perhaps can help strengthen the initial S/W even further??  Is this right? 

Yes

Cyclones+and+PV+Cyclogenesis+is+viewed+a

The PV anomaly has a cyclonic circulation around it, which can contribute to vorticity at 500 mb (but that's just one level which is the problem if the shortwave is located higher up in the atmosphere). The circulation that develops at the surface as a result can then result in low level PV generation once WAA gets going (diabatic heat release (convection) is the most common way). This then induces enhanced circulation aloft, and so on. Kind of like constructive interference where the lower and upper levels continue to feed off one another. 

• Thanks 2