Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Models are super heavy with rain tonight and tomorrow. Heavy heavy basement flooding. 

I still have water in my basement from the last one. There’s no pack this time around, but the ground got a nice freezing the past couple nights. I wish we could torch into the 50s up here to thaw the ground out and let it soak in, but it’ll probably run off to my foundation and soak in there. At least I’m running 100ft of drainage pipe from my back gutters to the side of the yard so that half of my old problems now become my neighbor’s.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

I noticed that yesterday over there finishing a generator installation. I was surprised to see that much still otg by the airport. Close to the same up here in Westfield, about 9 inches left.

Do you know how warm BDL got Tuesday? I know it took a while for the warmer air to move up into that area. I think they finally pushed well into the 40's? But when I was getting home like 7:00ish there was some pretty damn dense fog. Then again...when you got like 15'' or whatever from a storm it takes a bit to melt...especially considering the fact that all the snow gets piled up further with snow removal 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I still have water in my basement from the last one. There’s no pack this time around, but the ground got a nice freezing the past couple nights. I wish we could torch into the 50s up here to thaw the ground out and let it soak in, but it’ll probably run off to my foundation and soak in there. At least I’m running 100ft of drainage pipe from my back gutters to the side of the yard so that half of my old problems now become my neighbor’s.

French drain maybe?

Get the sandbags ready, Ginx!

* Heavy rain late tonight through Saturday morning will result in
  widespread 1.50 to 2.50 inches of rain. Localized higher amounts
  of 3 to 3.50 inches are possible. This will bring the potential
  for flooding, which will continue through the weekend on some
  rivers as a result of runoff.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Colder press from the high and more juice from the gulf = more frozen qpf. Wild times ahead this month 

I'd be surprised if anyone got more than a quarter inch of accretion. Maybe a third if everything goes right. System is moving too fast. 

I'm not sure how deep the  frozen ground is at this point.  Aside from the diaster earlier in the week, I imagine the cold of the month has it pretty deep.  I suspect that could make for a lot of lawn puddles and more 'street streams' than in a typical heavy rain event.

Meanwhile, no mention in the BOX AFD about icing potential, simply to a 'mixed-bag' of precipitation.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure how deep the  frozen ground is at this point.  Aside from the diaster earlier in the week, I imagine the cold of the month has it pretty deep.  I suspect that could make for a lot of lawn puddles and more 'street streams' than in a typical heavy rain event.

Meanwhile, no mention in the BOX AFD about icing potential, simply to a 'mixed-bag' of precipitation.

Too early to really get that specific about next week. Could be a classic SWFE where we get advisory snows followed by some sleet and ice but accretion isn't a big deal....or maybe it ends up a bit icier. I don't think it would be a big time ice event with the speed of the system. It's mostly in and out in about 12-18 hours. 

The shortwave gets sheared apart which tells me this will not be that big of a deal. Maybe that changes on future runs. 

• Thanks 1