Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Not sure what you're trying to imply but I have 35+ years of experience observing the weather including courses at Lyndon and having been a coop observer.  I follow the standard practice of taking multiple measurements including sunny and shaded measurements.  I take my daily temperature readings in a Stevenson Screen about 50-75' from my house and while I'm walking to the station I drop the ruler in the snow and keep track of the measurements to the nearest inch per the coop standard.  I then average those for the daily snow depth.  I then average those numbers for the average depth over the winter.  I then average every winter for an overall average depth.  5" is what the math comes out to for all those measurements.

Yea that's what I thought.  Scott is skeptical of everything 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Let's run a poll here. 17 inch bomb in March or 2 inch snow otg Christmas morning. I can imagine with this group what the answer will be. Lol

I mean, I'm usually on his side in the Dec vs Morch debates (not climo wise but emotion wise), but even that was a strange one for me. A festive grass covering instead of 17"?

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Let's run a poll here. 17 inch bomb in March or 2 inch snow otg Christmas morning. I can imagine with this group what the answer will be. Lol

See here’s the difference... Folks like me, Will, Herb, Johnno, Iceberg, Wolf, Freak etc etc like any snow. You guys all know I get as excited for 1-3” as I do as 6-12”. Folks like Ray, you , Scooter, Tip don’t like snow as much as you crave the biggies. I would 100% prefer a winter of nickels and dimes or even ice with no biggies and extended pack. You guys are fine with no snow or ice other than 3 massive snow bombs a winter. So that’s why you guys prefer spring snows where you’re more likely to get a 4-1-97. Me..I prefer a Dec 92

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

See here’s the difference... Folks like me, Will, Herb, Johnno, Iceberg, Wolf, Freak etc etc like any snow. You guys all know I get as excited for 1-3” as I do as 6-12”. Folks like Ray, you , Scooter, Tip don’t like snow as much as you crave the biggies. I would 100% prefer a winter of nickels and dimes or even ice with no biggies and extended pack. You guys are fine with no snow or ice other than 3 massive snow bombs a winter. So that’s why you guys prefer spring snows where you’re more likely to get a 4-1-97. Me..I prefer a Dec 92

Woah I like snow depth days and all snow. Where did that come from. You think after all these years you would know me.

Christmas should have snow on the ground, period. Here in metrowest Boston, I just want enough snow to provide good nordic skiing - so give me a base of 6" of concrete with occasional freshies. Up north, I want deep snow for early and late skiing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea that's what I thought.  Scott is skeptical of everything 

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to stuff like that. They’re are coop observers who do the opposite. Measure at 7a after its changed over and report that snowfall too. You should always ask when stuff doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty good at stuff like that. I stare at data and compare it all day. It only took 15 months for me to get other mets to agree on Boston temps. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to stuff like that. They’re are coop observers who do the opposite. Measure at 7a after its changed over and report that snowfall too. You should always ask when stuff doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty good at stuff like that. I stare at data and compare it all day. It only took 15 months for me to get other mets to agree on Boston temps. 

How do you know this?

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I would be willing to bet that poll would be a landslide . 90%+ weighted Dec . Winter months are Dec- Feb

I think every single person has said they prefer snow in December and wish the climo was for March bombs in December.  But it's not.

There is empirical data that March is a better snow month BUT that has no bearing on personal preferences.  I'd rather it snow in November and I really enjoy November early season snows when it's supposed to be brown stick season.  But I understand what we are up against climo wise.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

How do you know this?

Read a PNS. Nobody knows that they’re doing. I’m not trying to dog someone, I’m just asking questions. Someone can walk through their backyard in the shade and say 3” when it’s bare all around them. Should they be considered a true snowpack?

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to stuff like that. They’re are coop observers who do the opposite. Measure at 7a after its changed over and report that snowfall too. 

That sounds like new snowfall measurements, not snow depth.  I know there are some coops that only measure new snowfall at 7a but that's not all of them.  The standard is to measure when the snow stops, not just at 7a and that's what I do.  The 7a measurements are just for snow depth.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How may IPAs tonight? Who said that? The conversation was about your insane view of reality and December snow. 

3 and 2 were DIPA’s. 

The point being.. gun to your knee.. you would take 12-20 “ in Oct like 2011 interior or Napril 1 97 and have them melt out quickly with little actual winter snow over a whole winter of 1-3 or 2-5” with ice and no biggies, but extended pack. That’s not necessarily wrong .. it’s just warped . But that’s why the good Lord above made people different. Plus, look at the discussion this created tonight as we gear up for Rains to Maines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

How do you figure the average pack depth? 

Wouldn't that just be averaging all the daily stake depth readings...throw a stick in the ground in the same place each winter and see what happens?

I always think of average depth as one small point on the Earth... it's hard to compare perfectly to other areas but it's real value comes with elapsed time.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Wouldn't that just be averaging all the daily stake depth readings...throw a stick in the ground in the same place each winter and see what happens?

I always think of average depth as one small point on the Earth... it's hard to compare perfectly to other areas but it's real value comes with elapsed time.

Do you count bare ground days? If my pack starts on Dec 11th and melts out by March 15th, do I count March 16-31 as zero or do I just not include them? Ditto December 1-10? 

Or do we sum up the total snow depth of every day and divide by 121 days between Dec 1 and Mar 31? Do we run a median or a true arithmetic average? There's a lot of different math you could do on all those numbers. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Read a PNS. Nobody knows that they’re doing. I’m not trying to dog someone, I’m just asking questions. Someone can walk through their backyard in the shade and say 3” when it’s bare all around them. Should they be considered a true snowpack?

The standard I use is one I learned in my Weather Observation course at Lyndon and that's if 50+% of the area is covered in snow I'll take the same number of measurements including the 0" ones.  So using your example, let's say 50% of the yard has snow, I'll still average 5-10 measurements so I would have 5 0" numbers and 5 3" numbers for an average of 1.5" which rounds to 2" of snow depth.  If the amount of coverage is below 50%, it's just a trace until there is no more snow.  I'm not sure about the coast but in spring I might have parts of the yard with 10" of snow and bare spots in a sunny area.  That bare spot still gets factored in because it needs to be but just because you have a bare spot doesn't mean you stop including it.

• Thanks 1

I want that elusive 20 Burger which has escaped me for 8 years as much as the next weenie, badly, but I also enjoy the tracking and subsequent snowy times regardless of amounts. I really never used to be a pack guy until these damn kids showed up either. Now I prefer it so my little weenie can enjoy the feel of winter for as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I want that elusive 20 Burger which has escaped me for 8 years as much as the next weenie, badly, but I also enjoy the tracking and subsequent snowy times regardless of amounts. I really never used to be a pack guy until these damn kids showed up either. Now I prefer it so my little weenie can enjoy the feel of winter as long as possible.

So now you're a queen.