DANBURY:  46.8
WEST THOMPSON LAKE:  44.2
MIDDLETOWN 4 W:  41.9
HARTFORD:  41.3
MANSFIELD HOLLOW LAKE:  40.3
MT CARMEL:  38.4
BRIDGEPORT SIKORSKY AP:  29.1
GROTON:  21.8

Toss those coop snow totals as long and far as you can . 

17 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Average number of days with snow cover in CT:

NORFOLK 2 SW:  101.8
BAKERSVILLE:  80.0
BARKHAMSTED:  59.5
WOODBURY:  48.4
DANBURY:  46.8
WEST THOMPSON LAKE:  44.2
MIDDLETOWN 4 W:  41.9
HARTFORD:  41.3
MANSFIELD HOLLOW LAKE:  40.3
MT CARMEL:  38.4
BRIDGEPORT SIKORSKY AP:  29.1
GROTON:  21.8

That's a pretty extraordinary variance across such a small state. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, those 60 temps w high dews will vaoporize a pack faster than 60/20 day under March sun..

I was thinking that too.  

Much rather watch the snow slowly disappear when it’s sunny and 45F by day and 15F at night and clear skies....than going to bed with a foot and waking up to 58/58 with 1” rain and a foggy lawn.  

Just a slow decrease of 1-2” a day maybe instead of just vaporized in 8 hours while you sleep.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I was thinking that too.  

Much rather watch the snow slowly disappear when it’s sunny and 45F by day and 15F at night and clear skies....than going to bed with a foot and waking up to 58/58 with 1” rain and a foggy lawn.  

Just a slow decrease of 1-2” a day maybe instead of just vaporized in 8 hours while you sleep.

And we have had some pretty good March snows lately that lasted longer than Dec ones. Fluff vaporizes with Sun no matter the month. All about the base. 

It's hard to run the table in early December. Really hard. Exception is the obscenely weenie CAD areas of NNE and the usual upslope spots. And even some of those spots will start their run more toward mid-December. 

A lot of our great Decembers in SNE didn't even really get going until mid-month. In 2008, it wasn't until 12/19...in 2007, not until 12/13. There's been a few exceptions of course like 1970, 1995, 2002....but so often you might just punt the first 10-15 days of December. Even in good Decembers. 

If we end up re-establishing the snowpack next Tuesday, then we will have been really fortunate thus far. I think I've had a total of about 30 hours without pack this entire month...basically Dec 1st before the snow started late afternoon and then Tuesday afternoon/evening before the rain flipped back to snow overnight. That's pretty amazing for a 12 day period of hostile snowpack climo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Metherb, my point is how do you average 5”? Is it from sight  and you take into account all areas from sun to shade, or weenie measuring behind the shade of a spruce? That seems high. 

Not sure what you're trying to imply but I have 35+ years of experience observing the weather including courses at Lyndon and having been a coop observer.  I follow the standard practice of taking multiple measurements including sunny and shaded measurements.  I take my daily temperature readings in a Stevenson Screen about 50-75' from my house and while I'm walking to the station I drop the ruler in the snow and keep track of the measurements to the nearest inch per the coop standard.  I then average those for the daily snow depth.  I then average those numbers for the average depth over the winter.  I then average every winter for an overall average depth.  5" is what the math comes out to for all those measurements.