Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So I think this year is a perfect example of how December is a deep winter month and always was growing up. It would make me so mad seeing posts other years..”it’s only Dec 15th, wait until January” or “it’s not supposed to snow in December”. And someone would then Try to rationalize that It was early and plenty of winter left . F that. Those posts infuriated me. Winter starts in Dec and it’s supppsec to be chilly and snow . If you punt Dec , you’re left with hoping Jan and Feb work out. And if The first 12 days of Jan are punted .. you’re hoping for a good month and a half. And by Feb, Tip is already posting about taking his pants off in warm sun filled cars  and driving around. And Morch snow is nothing more than stat padding. This year is exhibit A of why it’s imperative to start snowing in December. What a great start to winter we’ve had. Everyone except 2 posters up north are in great spirits. And the rest of the month looks awesome. LFG!

Well, so far, the December snow has been nothing more than stat padding....we all ahve bare gound again in 40 hours. Lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Reporting is weak. We police ourselves. Dews mehd himself to 20 plus so far. 

If he hates cold and snow, then it has been a nightmare start for him...like -4 departure so far with 20+" less than 2 weeks into met winter. :lol:

Maybe his trolling is good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

When does snowcover last consistently around here for more than a few weeks at a time?

Down here in CT rarely. Significant long stretches that come to mind are Jan 2011 and Jan 24th-Mar 21st 2015. During that crazy 2+ month timeframe i had 6" or more snowpack the entire time with no rainers at all, max depth was 20" on Feb 1st 2015.

7 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

My 35 year average is 64 days of snow cover with an average depth of 5" peaking at 16".

When I lived in Coventry at 825', I remember snowcover lasting for like 3-5 weeks at a time. Not from early December into March. More like January and February. And like you said a thaw would rapidly melt it. This area is more protected.

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Down here in CT rarely. Significant long stretches that come to mind are Jan 2011 and Jan 24th-Mar 21st 2015. During that crazy 2+ month timeframe i had 6" or more snowpack the entire time with no rainers at all, max depth was 20" on Feb 1st 2015.

Rarely in CT?  Maybe in your neck of the woods but in the hills of NE & NW CT it's typical to have snow cover for a chunk of the winter.  My longest stretch is 122 days.  Now, the past few winters have only been in the 40-50 day range but my 35 year average is 64 days here in CT so I wouldn't call it rare.

Just now, MetHerb said:

Rarely in CT?  Maybe in your neck of the woods but in the hills of NE & NW CT it's typical to have snow cover for a chunk of the winter.  My longest stretch is 122 days.  Now, the past few winters have only been in the 40-50 day range but my 35 year average is 64 days here in CT so I wouldn't call it rare.

He lives on the ocean. Huge contrast vs any elevated areas of the state.

Just now, MetHerb said:

Yeah i meant rarely for like the majority of the population located along the center I-91 and on the shore I-95. The hills of litchfield are a whole different animal. Look at this average snowfall, it's dated but you get the idea. 80-90" for the hills of litchfield vs 20-30 on the shore.

694865967_SNEAverageSnowfall.PNG.c1129d85ec15b2a71d32465c932ee38b.PNG

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

When I lived in Coventry at 825', I remember snowcover lasting for like 3-5 weeks at a time. Not from early December into March. More like January and February.

Yeah, it's rare to have it last from early December onward but we do have decent stretches starting later in the month through February/early March.  Looking at my record I've had it last from early December 3 times and almost 4 at least 100 days.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He lives on the ocean. Huge contrast vs any elevated areas of the state.

I wouldn't say i live on the ocean. North Haven is about 10-15 miles inland and specifically im in the NW part of the town. I'm in the 30-40 range on that map. Snowfall isn't that big of a difference but i radiate unbelievable compared to HVN, i usually look at MMK for temps/weather as they are usually closer to my sensible wx. But yeah a big majority live on the spine up 91 and A LOT of the population lives on the shore. I don't know the exact numbers but i'd be willing to be it's over 50%