• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Me being old. I had this tiny transistor radio with NWS weather on it given to me as a birthday present when I was 8. I listened to wxradio constantly and got scolded by Mom many times to turn it off and go to bed.  I loved the marine forecasts. When they gave the wind direction I would write down each buoy and make a map. Lol I remember Feb 69 Lindsay storm warnings coming on that radio for PVD and staying up most of the night knowing no school the next day my birthday The biggie at the end of the month I was in the Berks at ski school with the YMCA.  So many wx memories about nws wx radio. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Did you grow up in the NYC area?  I can remember that voice...there was one window in our home where I could get reception.  I remember him saying "broadcasting on a frequency of 162.55 megaherz"

Born in BK NY, bred, in BK NY and eventually ...  we’ll you know. My first weather radio was a gift. A small barrel shaped brown plastic shape with a pull up antennae. I believe the voice was artificial. It sure sounded that way. 162.55 megahertz I’ll never forget that. Many years late4 I believe the voice was changed. To me the new one sounded stranger than the old one.. As always. ....

6 hours ago, rclab said:

Born in BK NY, bred, in BK NY and eventually ...  we’ll you know. My first weather radio was a gift. A small barrel shaped brown plastic shape with a pull up antennae. I believe the voice was artificial. It sure sounded that way. 162.55 megahertz I’ll never forget that. Many years late4 I believe the voice was changed. To me the new one sounded stranger than the old one.. As always. ....

WE6- 1212 NWS Hotline used to call it every hour when snow was forecasted  

everything is awesome

Sunday Night
A chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. South wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 51. South wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night
Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 55. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Sometimes it’s good to not worry too much about what’s coming.  I look outside and see beautiful snow cover still with lots in trees.   Cardinals in the bird feeder against the white back drop.  Long....live...winter!!!

Absolutely. Enjoy the now keep an eye on the future.  Going to be as deep a winter feel as it gets Saturday with cold and snow. The rainer Monday might be followed up with a surprise colder wave that has some tricks up its bag. Then all attention to the Miller A that will grab headlines nation wide. Not boring 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Absolutely. Enjoy the now keep an eye on the future.  Going to be as deep a winter feel as it gets Saturday with cold and snow. The rainer Monday might be followed up with a surprise colder wave that has some tricks up its bag. Then all attention to the Miller A that will grab headlines nation wide. Not boring 

Eps and gefs  are enthused  for the follow up wave.

It is really because we care less about storms bearing snow and wind, ...we care about the modeling whims. 

This is going to come off as less than entirely rational but this GFS model is infuriating to the frustrating point where I am challenged not to consider the modeling engineers are 'faking it'?  It seems they are deliberately putting anti-storm mechanical physical equations in the models, to stop storms from developing in this model.  

That D9 - 11 00z operational evolution is a perfect example, and I see this model do this over and over and over and over again... It sets the table with big sprawling arctic/polar highs with thick baroclinic instability; then, trundles plenty of vortex mechanics through TX...  end up up with a vesper up in New England.   I mean, yeah...storms dud some times... But when it deconstructs every f'n stinkin' one of them like 19 times out of 20, it starts to get a bit suspicious.  It's like they run the model in a raw form, it creates super nova storms, and instead of fixing the model so that it comes to a 'normal' cyclogenesis result more organically, they zap it with a dimming constant.   

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I noticed a low chance of frozen for all of new england on Wednesday...is that what you are referring to?  Miller A, eh?  for next weekend?  Probably good I'll be in Philly-NYC.