• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

I used to love the TWC crawler on the local on the 8s. Also when you saw *s all over there was trouble.  The crawler I think was NWS advisories etc.  YouTube has a bunch.  One time I DVRd an hour of TWC during a winter storm, and saved it for April Fools.  I turned on the DVR and left the room and waited until the family got worked up.  

we got a similar thread discussion down NY metro forum. 

Obs here: 32, winds calm.  

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah the dentist chair music was great when local on the 8's came on.

Kenny G and The Rippingtons while waiting for the hourly current conditions update around the top of the hour. The music of my childhood.

And you always wanted to see the big snowflake in the extended forecast (obviously the current conditions too).

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I used to love the TWC crawler on the local on the 8s. Also when you saw *s all over there was trouble.  The crawler I think was NWS advisories etc.  YouTube has a bunch.  One time I DVRd an hour of TWC during a winter storm, and saved it for April Fools.  I turned on the DVR and left the room and waited until the family got worked up.  

we got a similar thread discussion down NY metro forum. 

Obs here: 32, winds calm.  

Patrick ohearn..Zappa, missing persons, etc. Good memories

• Thanks 1

TWC was the only way we all got our fix between local news back then. There was no real internet weather. Even once in the dial-up days by the mid-1990s, there wasn't anything in real time....satellite and radars were like 30 minutes behind if you even got them to load on your 28k bps modem. 

• Like 4

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

TWC was the only way we all got our fix between local news back then. There was no real internet weather. Even once in the dial-up days by the mid-1990s, there wasn't anything in real time....satellite and radars were like 30 minutes behind if you even got them to load on your 28k bps modem. 

The TWC radars had basically 2 colors in the winter back in the early 90s. Light green was your light snow and the medium green was your mod/hvy. Dark green was damn near impossible, and I think yellow would've required an avalanche.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kenny G and The Rippingtons while waiting for the hourly current conditions update around the top of the hour. The music of my childhood.

And you always wanted to see the big snowflake in the extended forecast (obviously the current conditions too).

image.png

Tuning in just praying for that double snow icon..They had a different one for "Snow" before that one I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The TWC radars had basically 2 colors in the winter back in the early 90s. Light green was your light snow and the medium green was your mod/hvy. Dark green was damn near impossible, and I think yellow would've required an avalanche.

Yeah those were the old WSR-57 and WSR-74 radars before all the 88-Ds had been installed.  Getting into that dark green shade was really hard...you're right. I remember doing it in one of the 1994 storms but it was very fleeting. Lasted like one or two frames. 

30 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I had a weather radio that broadcast nws forecasts.  They would give a little discussion then the forecast.  Then the marine forecast.  I can hear the crackly voice...”from manasquan inlet to cape henelopen and 40 miles offshore...”

My parents had a CB radio base station with that.  TWC replaced it.  Both were the soundtrack of many winters. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Was that radar type around in December 23, 1997?

It was the 88-D by then. I think when NWS consolidated to Taunton, by 1995 they had the 88-D installed there. IIRC they brought the old radar and used that for a year after the consolidation? I think the consolidation happened in mid/late 1993 but I distinctly remember the old crap radar still in the '93-'94 winter. 

I can’t remember exactly when my local cable system got TWC but it was like 87 or 88. I remember visiting friends who went to UVM but lived off campus. We got back to their place and I remember passing out on their couch with it on TV. Even in my liquored up, foggy condition I was immediately hooked. Every time I would visit I would turn it on if I had the chance. Watching Local  on the 8’s while playing beer pong before hitting the bars. Needless to say, it wasn’t a chick magnet. Lol

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was the 88-D by then. I think when NWS consolidated to Taunton, by 1995 they had the 88-D installed there. IIRC they brought the old radar and used that for a year after the consolidation? I think the consolidation happened in mid/late 1993 but I distinctly remember the old crap radar still in the '93-'94 winter. 

This may offer a long sought explanation  to a question I never got an answer to, from years ago .,,

It was around that time that I started seeing higher tier DBZ during snow events and I wasn’t sure if that had always been the case or were storms suddenly got more severe. I guess I just assumed the technology got more sensitive so that does sort of confirm that. 

But case in point the morning of the 23rd 1997,  there was a massive area 50 to 55 DBZ returns over Eastern Connecticut and Southern Worcester County moving north north east toward us in Middlesex and I thought for sure it was sleet bright banding. 15” to  23” of immediate history in the making 

49 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I had a weather radio that broadcast nws forecasts.  They would give a little discussion then the forecast.  Then the marine forecast.  I can hear the crackly voice...”from manasquan inlet to cape henelopen and 40 miles offshore...”

Did you grow up in the NYC area?  I can remember that voice...there was one window in our home where I could get reception.  I remember him saying "broadcasting on a frequency of 162.55 megaherz"

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My mom use to take the weather channel away from me when I was bad lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 3

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This may offer a long sought explanation  to a question I never got an answer to, from years ago .,,

It was around that time that I started seeing higher tier DBZ during snow events and I wasn’t sure if that had always been the case or were storms suddenly got more severe. I guess I just assumed the technology got more sensitive so that does sort of confirm that. 

But case in point the morning of the 23rd 1997,  there was a massive area 50 to 55 DBZ returns over Eastern Connecticut and Southern Worcester County moving north north east toward us in Middlesex and I thought for sure it was sleet bright banding. 15” to  23” of immediate history in the making 

Oh yeah...the 1997 event would have shown up yellow even on the old garbage radar. Nevermind the bright reds on the Doppler. That one is in a league of it's own for intensity. 

7 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Did you grow up in the NYC area?  I can remember that voice...there was one window in our home where I could get reception.  I remember him saying "broadcasting on a frequency of 162.55 megaherz"

Delaware.  I had the same problem with reception!  Find the right spot and stay there all night before snowstorms