Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-2020 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

On 2/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, The Iceman said:

Yeah hopefully we get another 02-03 winter after suffering though 01-02 all over again.

What distinguishes this winter from 01 - 02 was that right after 9/11, the precip. just about shut off (which was helpful for NYC and their long arduous cleanup of Ground Zero through that winter).  But then that put our area in an extreme drought - and that was during the wintertime!

20020226_usdm.png

20020226_pa_trd.png

And the lack of precipitation continued through spring, which resulted in extended and often excessive heat during that summer of '02 (where dry begat dry). And by late August 2002, the CWA was in horrible shape!!

Compare to the current conditions -

20200225_usdm.png20200225_pa_trd.png

So as long as the precip faucet is flowing like it is now (vs what happened back almost 20 years ago), it won't really be the same... Seems it's closer to 2011/2012 (at least where I am based on what fell so far).

All links lead to Imgur photo albums.

Smugglers Notch, Monday March 2nd

Best snow of the trip, before the thaw.  2-3ft powder conditions.  Amazing.

Burke Mountain, Tuesday March 3rd

Almost 50f, wore a sweatshirt.  Really unique terrain.  Powerline was my favorite trail.

Gilpin Mountain Backcountry, 1165 Vertical Ft (3015ft Summit) Wednesday March 4th

Adjacent mountain to Jay Peak.  Can be accessed from the road and offers steep and mellow open glades, untouched snow but a rain crust with variable 3-5 inch drifts on top.  Took two laps, one to the summit, using snowshoes and then snowboarded down.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Flyers baby! 7 in a row, 1 point out of first... could this be the year? They're getting hot at the right time...

Was lucky to snag them at +2400 to win the conference a few months back. Down to like +600 now and vegas has them favored to win the cup in several simulations. I can see them coming out of nowhere when the city least expected it and making a real run. All the pieces were there from day 1. It was just a matter of getting them used to playing together and getting Hart some consistent playing time. Have a good feeling bro. They have shown several times they can beat the elite teams this season. Only team that concerns me believe it or not is TB. They are the real deal. The other 'elites" are loaded with aging veterans. 

On 3/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, The Iceman said:

Flyers baby! 7 in a row, 1 point out of first... could this be the year? They're getting hot at the right time...

9 and have Bos next...pretty pumped.

As far as winter...what a dud. I mean, I didn't use a shovel all year...didn't even use a broom to dust off a coating. That's really sad.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

As far as winter...what a dud. I mean, I didn't use a shovel all year...didn't even use a broom to dust off a coating. That's really sad.  

AV and Fletcher made a trade with God last fall:  Philly's 19-20 winter and a winter to be named later in exchange for a Cup in the spring. It's tough in the short term but the long term should play out nicely. 

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I never broke out the kerosene heater this winter. I put down some grass seed last weekend and am currently running the sprinkler.

Not that we didn't already know but I'm watching NBC10 at 11am and Glenn says "Winter is over". That's a little bold for him considering there's 2/3 of March left and even early April. I agree w/him but I'm not an on air Met who will have to eat crow if a freak storm happens...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greenskeeper said:

No Snow and No Sports how long is the line at the Walt Whitman bridge for you guys?

I was gonna post something about this.  The ultimate insult - the winter of azz leading to the unthinkable and unprecedented.  I felt the pain that I know you guys are going through right now (especially right when the Flyers were on a hot streak). And now the immediate Philly 'burbs are about to lose their state stores by Tuesday (expect the rest of them across the state will go dark eventually too).

:cliff:

Stay safe everyone but can maybe track some storms - might even be an early 'cane season too!  CPC is predicting ENSO-neutral at the moment (and that tends to result in an enhanced number of storms based on past data during ENSO-neutral years) - https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

5 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I was gonna post something about this.  The ultimate insult - the winter of azz leading to the unthinkable and unprecedented.  I felt the pain that I know you guys are going through right now (especially right when the Flyers were on a hot streak). And now the immediate Philly 'burbs are about to lose their state stores by Tuesday (expect the rest of them across the state will go dark eventually too).

Stay safe everyone but can maybe track some storms - might even be an early 'cane season too!  CPC is predicting ENSO-neutral at the moment (and that tends to result in an enhanced number of storms based on past data during ENSO-neutral years) - https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

And I was one of those idiots who, after seeing that report on the 6 o"clock news, grabbed my cc and ran to the state store...lol! So much for "social distancing".

In all seriousness, hope everyone stays virus free and things get back to usual sooner rather than later.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:59 AM, Hurricane Agnes said:

You would think it's New Years Eve if you venture to a state store today.

No booze, no sports and the stock market is tanking again. Down 2100 as I type...happy times!

13 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

They are trying to be politically correct. Notice how the anchors are seated 2 miles apart as well? (Social distancing...annoying )

I hear you but it is setting a good example. I think thats a big reason they are doing it as well as maybe trying to avoid criticism for being hypocrites.