• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-2020 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

I really don't see any chance of snow the rest of the season....if so, very minimal. Again this week we hit mid 40's -50's with rain than a another cold shot by Thurs - Friday or so. And not really cold...mid to upper 30s highs? And  repeat after that? Pretty sure Philly is under 1" for the  year. I may be at 2"? Really a pathetic winter and if this becomes the norm moving is certainly an option. And one would only need to move 100-150 miles to see something resembling winter... 

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I really don't see any chance of snow the rest of the season....if so, very minimal. Again this week we hit mid 40's -50's with rain than a another cold shot by Thurs - Friday or so. And not really cold...mid to upper 30s highs? And  repeat after that? Pretty sure Philly is under 1" for the  year. I may be at 2"? Really a pathetic winter and if this becomes the norm moving is certainly an option. And one would only need to move 100-150 miles to see something resembling winter... 

Here's an interesting thought experiment...where would you rather live? No middle ground here. Pick one or the other:

A place like Marquette MI where even in a bad season, you're gonna get 150" of snow. No need to worry about teleconnections, blocking, ENSO, sun spots, any of it! Just get the wind to blow from the right direction and you're digging out. But then I wonder, would I care about snow at the point? Would I quickly get bored with it like the kid who has a pool in his backyard but never goes swimming? I think that's what make us weenies -- even though it does snow around here, it's still something special. Even in our best winters, we're still only talking about 3 good storms or so.

Or would you rather live in a place like Key West, where there is absolutely NO chance of snow. Again, you're not torturing yourself looking at long-range guidance or seasonal outlooks. It's not going to snow, who cares! Just spend the winters drinking margaritas and watching beautiful sunsets.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Here's an interesting thought experiment...where would you rather live? No middle ground here. Pick one or the other:

A place like Marquette MI where even in a bad season, you're gonna get 150" of snow. No need to worry about teleconnections, blocking, ENSO, sun spots, any of it! Just get the wind to blow from the right direction and you're digging out. But then I wonder, would I care about snow at the point? Would I quickly get bored with it like the kid who has a pool in his backyard but never goes swimming? I think that's what make us weenies -- even though it does snow around here, it's still something special. Even in our best winters, we're still only talking about 3 good storms or so.

Or would you rather live in a place like Key West, where there is absolutely NO chance of snow. Again, you're not torturing yourself looking at long-range guidance or seasonal outlooks. It's not going to snow, who cares! Just spend the winters drinking margaritas and watching beautiful sunsets.

I thought about different regions of the country and believe parts of Colorado are the place to be. Great scenery and you can go from 70-80F and get slammed with 1-2' snow in the blink of an eye. Better than other areas that are bland and colder that hit their totals nickle and dime all winter. Colorado would give you that big nor' easter hit feel. Almost no long cool dreary wet patterns from coastal influence and  slow upper level lows like we get subjected too.

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I thought about different regions of the country and believe parts of Colorado are the place to be. Great scenery and you can go from 70-80F and get slammed with 1-2' snow in the blink of an eye. Better than other areas that are bland and colder that hit their totals nickle and dime all winter. Colorado would give you that big nor' easter hit feel. Almost no long cool dreary wet patterns from coastal influence and  slow upper level lows like we get subjected too.

As I creep closer to retirement (55)  I’m thinking about moving to the Phoenix/Mesa AZ area.  Been out there several times and it’s gorgeous with great temps for half the year.  Sure the summers are hot but very little humidity make it much more tolerable.  If you want to get your appetite of snow, Flagstaff is only a 4 hour drive North.  Averaging 100 inches a year and an elevation of almost 7000 feet, taking the easy drive up occasionally on weekends would satisfy your snow hunger.  I believe it was last winter, Flagstaff set a 24 hour snow record of 36”. 

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I want no part of this....I want to see snow and hate warmth and the idea of no snow ever would be very depressing. Ideally N/NW Maine/New Hampshire  would be great. Plenty of snow, cooler summers, hunting, fishing etc. Locally speaking, I would head to a place like Jim Thorpe. Nice scenery, history and usually don't get shafted by the rain/snow line like down here. If anything, it changes to sl;eet/frz rain and it's still a cool event.  

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm considering a family relocation to either VT or ME. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm considering a family relocation to either VT or ME. 

Sounds great in my book! I'd still be a Philly sports fan but would enjoy better climate/wilderness life and less congestion from the 95 corridor big cities/close suburbs. I could do without the hassle as I grow older....

I really love snow and would like to move northwest however with my son racing Mx and his future in the sport we will likely be relocating South or Southwest where he can ride and train year round, although this winter he has been riding and training locally he only went o Fla. once this winter.  I still have that feeling that we are in for one surprise before we officially hit Spring. 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

The Delaware Water Gap along I-80 right now...

87228747_661634337711610_6689708255565840384_o.jpg

It hasn't been that dry has it? 

Also dreamplace to take a trip to would be Cordova, AK with (heli) access to the chugach mtns.  They recieve the most snow in the world and it is often stable and skiable.  Really gnarly terrain too.  Not sure if I'd want to live there, I dont know if I can handle a population of just over 2,000.

From wiki: "The Chugach Mountains of southern Alaska are the northernmost of the several mountain ranges that make up the Pacific Coast Ranges of the western edge of North America. The range is about 250 miles (402 km) long and 60 miles (97 km) wide, and extends from the Knik and Turnagain Arms of the Cook Inlet on the west to Bering Glacier, Tana Glacier, and the Tana River on the east. It is bounded on the north by the Matanuska, Copper, and Chitina rivers. The highest point of the Chugach Mountains is Mount Marcus Baker, at 13,094 feet (3,991 m), but with an average elevation of 4,006 feet (1,221 m), most of its summits are not especially high. Even so, its position along the Gulf of Alaska ensures more snowfall in the Chugach than anywhere else in the world, an annual average of over 1500 cm (800 in)."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Good to know ty.

If this is the program all the funds are depleted at this time.

https://www.thinkvermont.com/remote-worker-grant-program-2019/

UPDATE

As of January 6, 2020, the Remote Worker Grant Program awarded all of the funds allocated to it. The funding was awarded on a first come first served basis as appropriated. We apologize for the inconvenience, but applications are not being accepted at this time while the Agency of Commerce and Community Development and the Legislature evaluate the possibility of additional funding for the continuation of the program.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

If this is the program all the funds are depleted at this time.

https://www.thinkvermont.com/remote-worker-grant-program-2019/

UPDATE

As of January 6, 2020, the Remote Worker Grant Program awarded all of the funds allocated to it. The funding was awarded on a first come first served basis as appropriated. We apologize for the inconvenience, but applications are not being accepted at this time while the Agency of Commerce and Community Development and the Legislature evaluate the possibility of additional funding for the continuation of the program.

Guess a bunch of us MA weenies signed up and overwhelmed the program!

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Guess a bunch of us MA weenies signed up and overwhelmed the program!

Quite frankly the whole program seemed like a "bait and switch" where only the top tier were selected and middle to lower tier were screwed and already made plans to move to Vermont...they said no funds available...Vermont wins.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:55 AM, Mikeymac5306 said:

As a former road crew guy, I used to count on bad winters to pay the Christmas bills, and such. I know those guys are scrimping right now to pay their Summer rental deposits. 

we actually do ok in seasons like these, my company has a decent amount of Seasonal contracts, they pay whether it snows or not, its the bad winters they get screwed on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, penndotguy said:

we actually do ok in seasons like these, my company has a decent amount of Seasonal contracts, they pay whether it snows or not, its the bad winters they get screwed on.

Yeah Local Government here so steady income, but A Good Winter makes or breaks your one or two week stay at the beach! 

This winter has been a true definition of Azz, or as the New Englanders say A Ratter either way ya slice it sucked, the fact that I had 3 snow events that totaled 6" really tells the story its even worse around Philly. I hope this is the Grand Finale of Shitty winters and next year we really cash in because quite honestly it couldn't get any worse, That's my Rant to close out Winter. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

This winter has been a true definition of Azz, or as the New Englanders say A Ratter either way ya slice it sucked, the fact that I had 3 snow events that totaled 6" really tells the story its even worse around Philly. I hope this is the Grand Finale of Shitty winters and next year we really cash in because quite honestly it couldn't get any worse, That's my Rant to close out Winter. 

Yeah hopefully we get another 02-03 winter after suffering though 01-02 all over again. Then again we could always get another 12-13 which was only a little bit better(still horrible) than 11-12. 4th straight year though now with 0 events >6" during met winter at PHL. Largest snowfall in that span being 4.1".  Largest event including March is only 6.7" and we've only hit the 6" mark twice in those 4 years both being in March 2018.  2016 we had the HECS but by and large it was a dud winter that we got lucky by nailing our 1 window of opportunity. So really we're going on 5 straight met winter's that were absolutely brutal. You'd think something has to give next year...unless this is our new normal..

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Where can i move to get the most snow and least COVID-19?

Cabin in the Tughill- check

I'm seriously considering ordering some giant snowshoes off Amazon and sending it up there sat night after work to snowboard the ~400-500ft ridges near Whetstone Gulf State Park and Snow Ridge on sunday.  If the 3-4 feet they're calling for materializes, I am totally there.  Everywhere in NNE is gonna be concrete aside from quebec and I've been craving some deep dry powder turns all winter.  

• Like 1