Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-2020 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

4 hours ago, penndotguy said:

Mild and wet, cold and dry surely the theme of this winter and the cold has been short lived 2-3 days at a time, while I have pulled the plug on this season I'm not so sure we don't go through BN temps in March and April just prolonging this agony. There's always next Winter, in all reality it cant be worse than this one can it ? 

I'll take that...anything to postpone the summer heat.

Hopefully the entire Spring is a rainy chilly mess w/T-Storms and Summer gets a late start and Fall arrives early. That would be perfect...reload and start fresh next winter. 

4 hours ago, penndotguy said:

Mild and wet, cold and dry surely the theme of this winter and the cold has been short lived 2-3 days at a time, while I have pulled the plug on this season I'm not so sure we don't go through BN temps in March and April just prolonging this agony. There's always next Winter, in all reality it cant be worse than this one can it ? 

It sure can. We could get 0 snow. I know statistics say next year should be better but that doesn't mean it will be. I thought last year was bad....I would have paid money to have a repeat 2018-19 if I knew 2019-20 would be this brutal.

46 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It sure can. We could get 0 snow. I know statistics say next year should be better but that doesn't mean it will be. I thought last year was bad....I would have paid money to have a repeat 2018-19 if I knew 2019-20 would be this brutal.

Maybe - not saying, - but with a strong showing this year from the Artic Ice: best in 7 0r 6 years maybe we get our chances. Then all we need is some huge volcanos to erupt, and game on JK of course but the ice is going the right direction!

. Maybe that will do it.

28 minutes ago, LVwhiteout said:

Maybe - not saying, - but with a strong showing this year from the Artic Ice: best in 7 0r 6 years maybe we get our chances. Then all we need is some huge volcanos to erupt, and game on JK of course but the ice is going the right direction!

. Maybe that will do it.

Arctic ice maximums mean very little, its the mins that matter.  Just look at 2012....it wasn't much behind where we are at present on extent, but look where it ended up at the minimum.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Currently my forecasted highs for Fri and Sat are 32F and 33F. I remember when arctic outbreaks meant daytime highs struggled to reach the low teens.

Just a side swipe of arctic air in mid February though and should be the last significant cold of this pathetic winter.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

As a sidenote here - and I meant to mention - but early this week (either Monday and I know for sure Tuesday), KYW radio switched up on their meteorologists (after their move to their owner's (Entercom) facility at 2400 Market St. in downtown Philly) and they dropped the CBS3 ones and are now using the NBC10 group including Hurricane Schwartz, who I was surprised to hear on their station early that morning (his shift is apparently now later during the day).  Their end-of-weeather-report tagline - "Count on it!"  :lol:

On 2/14/2020 at 10:36 AM, Hurricane Agnes said:

As a sidenote here - and I meant to mention - but early this week (either Monday and I know for sure Tuesday), KYW radio switched up on their meteorologists (after their move to their owner's (Entercom) facility at 2400 Market St. in downtown Philly) and they dropped the CBS3 ones and are now using the NBC10 group including Hurricane Schwartz, who I was surprised to hear on their station early that morning (his shift is apparently now later during the day).  Their end-of-weeather-report tagline - "Count on it!"  :lol:

I was a die hard KYW listener in my youth but since the internet I rarely listen to them at all. I would always wait for the Mets to chime in...sometimes live (during a snowstorm) or recorded when not much was going on.

This may be a good avenue for Glenn as he approaches retirement. He may want to quit the NBC10 gig altogether and just report for KYW which he probably could do from home. If I was him I would take that route if available.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I heard Glenn on KYW the other day and thought it was odd. Now I know why.

KYW was always on when I came down for breakfast as a kid. Can't tell you how many times Elliot Abrams broke my heart saying, "snow quickly changing to wind-swept rain".

You got that right...damn! Dagger in the heart. However I remember w/the 83' blizzard they had him on every half-hour or so and he kept increasing the amounts....happy day! I think initially it was 8-12"...then 12-16"...then 16 - 20".....then we exceeded that.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

You got that right...damn! Dagger in the heart. However I remember w/the 83' blizzard they had him on every half-hour or so and he kept increasing the amounts....happy day! I think initially it was 8-12"...then 12-16"...then 16 - 20".....then we exceeded that.  

I remember Jan. 1987 and Jan. 1978 particularly for 2 or 3 northeasters in a row, and Elliot on at 25 after the hour I think when he would do a synoptic discussion of what was going on, and why it would start as snow and then change to rain with 2 to 4" in the NW suburbs before the changeover. And in both years the last storm didn't changeover until we had like 11". That was pretty cool.

I really enjoyed the in depth discussions. Might have had it at 55 after the hour as well, not sure though.

GFS is almost dropping the PV in late month, been talked to death about late winter cold in the analogs early in the season but it's the last thing I want to happen. Of course this GFS has been over doing the long range chill all season but this would be the time it will get it right uggh.

Not three years in a row....no no no

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JTA66 said:

I heard Glenn on KYW the other day and thought it was odd. Now I know why.

KYW was always on when I came down for breakfast as a kid. Can't tell you how many times Elliot Abrams broke my heart saying, "snow quickly changing to wind-swept rain".

But then he usually (maybe once a week) would do a pun-filled forecast too. :lol:

In fact, the Centre Daily Times (from Centre County PA) had an interview with him a little over 7 years ago where he shared one of his favorite (and then "once a year") forecasts - https://www.centredaily.com/living/article42810012.html

This one (the annual Thanksgiving forecast) here is: Turkeys will finish thawing Thanksgiving, then warm in the oven to a high near 190 in the afternoon. The kitchen will turn hot and humid, and if you bother the cook, be ready for a severe squall or a cold shoulder.

Then during the late afternoon and early evening hours, the cold front of a knife will slice through the turkey and cause accumulations of 1-2 inches on plates. Mashed potatoes will drift across one side while cranberry sauce creates slippery spots on the other, especially if it mixes in with the green bean casserole. Please pass the gravy. A weight watch has been issued for the entire area and we expect intervals of indigestion, with increasing stuffiness around the beltway.

During the evening the turkey will diminish and taper off to leftovers and drop to a low of 34 in the refrigerator. Looking ahead to Friday and Saturday, high pressure to eat sandwiches; flurries of leftovers can be expected both days with a 50 percent chance of scattered soup during the midday hours. We expect a warming trend baste on where soup develops. For AccuTurkey, this is gobble-ologist Elliot Abrams.

• Like 1