Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-2020 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

17 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Eagles-Cowboys game in Philly could be alot of fun with the entire season riding on it for both teams 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_31.png

That would be amazing to witness, but I have to imagine the NFL would cancel the game if this happened.

Obviously the league did the same back when that Vikings' game was rescheduled and the Eagles, perhaps infamously, lost to Joe Webb later in the week.

Link to postponement story: https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5956740

Link to game results: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201012280phi.htm

5 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

the Jan 4 signal is something to track. These blockbuster miller A's tend to show up on modeling a lot earlier. Looks like it needs a little more block to work out. 

Good chance that period does in fact materialize. However looks like the euro has 2 potential threats leading up to that. Again....enjoy the relax/reload next 7 days or so.

dark-vader-winter-is-coming-season-funny.jpg

• Like 1

I havent been too active in regards to tracking as my foot has been injured since the first week of September and I really thought I may never be able to snowboard again.  I was beginning to grow bitter after 3 1/2 months of failed  treatments.  But it must be a Christmas miracle because it's finally starting to feel better, no more pain in the ball of my foot with each step.  We were never able to diagnose a cause, x-ray, MRI, blood test, and ENG (nerve test) were all normal aside from some mild inflammation (bursitis between 1st and 2nd metatarsal) shown on the MRI.  Cortisone shot didnt do jack, but we tried a boot for the past month as a last ditch effort to help.  That must have done the trick, along with taking time off work, as this past week I've been mostly pain free!  Time to rehab it and get back to chasing flakes.  

I cant say how grateful I am to have my health and have you guys here tracking these storms.  This injury really put everything into perspective, as it has really affected my mental health these past few months.  You guys are such an awesome resource for knowledge and I just want to thank you all and wish everybody a happy holiday.  Let it snow!! 

Here's a short and simple edit I did for class of last year's snowboard season.  Most clips are from Vermont featuring Jay Peak, Smugglers Notch, Magic Mountain, Mount Snow and theres one PA blue mountain clip.  

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

Happy New Year to all of the forum members. Be safe.

same to you. Whats upcoming?  After carefully dissecting and analyzing  the LR models., I am still going with a return of winter like patterns  around the 8th-9th of January( maybe even small accumulating snow event)  There will another brief warm up the following week, then winter hell will break loose like I said around MLK weekend(Jan17-20) in my earlier banter post. Why have I predicted this?  The MJO will becoming out of Phase 4 and 5 into 7. This change most often produces a nice MIller A type (similar) storm event with the the expected pattern change . This evenings GFS model is already beginning to hint of the formation of  a TN Valley LP screamer forming. MA forum is beginning to see these changes as well. Don S in his NYC metro posts sees this situation as well as JB.  As a physical geographer/atmospheric sciences major for the past 40 years, I too see whats coming around the bend.  stay tuned

On 12/31/2019 at 11:04 PM, Albedoman said:

same to you. Whats upcoming?  After carefully dissecting and analyzing  the LR models., I am still going with a return of winter like patterns  around the 8th-9th of January( maybe even small accumulating snow event)  There will another brief warm up the following week, then winter hell will break loose like I said around MLK weekend(Jan17-20) in my earlier banter post. Why have I predicted this?  The MJO will becoming out of Phase 4 and 5 into 7. This change most often produces a nice MIller A type (similar) storm event with the the expected pattern change . This evenings GFS model is already beginning to hint of the formation of  a TN Valley LP screamer forming. MA forum is beginning to see these changes as well. Don S in his NYC metro posts sees this situation as well as JB.  As a physical geographer/atmospheric sciences major for the past 40 years, I too see whats coming around the bend.  stay tuned

stated this on 12/19/2019 --winter is put on hold until jan 5-8. enjoy the mild temps the next two weeks==============  Looks like winter does indeed return temporarily this week. 1-3 inches of snow for eastern PA in several nuisance storms. Most is white rain. All snow on the ground is  history after the 10th as temps head up to the 60's. I am still looking at MLK holiday week time frame as a major pattern change for us returning us back to winter. Still looking at several storm events. Many of us will be up all night model hugging and tracking storm potentials during and after this MLK week

well on cue winter has returned tonight on Jan 5th, Currently snowing in Macungie. Expect a dusting to half inch tonight with maybe an inch or two Wed. Then it melts and we return to spring temps on the weekend. MJO expected to go into phase 7/8 by MLK week still. With pattern change, still seein the poential for MIller A's being tracked shortly before MLK. Its coming, like a thief in the night.

Do any of you have apple devices? I have like ten weather apps on my iphone and most of them frankly suck. I just wondered if any of you have any weather app suggestions? 

Sorry if this was the wrong place to put this...Oh! Also, a late Merry Christmas. Happy New Year, and happy solstice, happy holidays, and happy everything:)

532C8992-A43F-482A-A1ED-5A3CC87080F8.gif

7 hours ago, Albedoman said:

well on cue winter has returned tonight on Jan 5th, Currently snowing in Macungie. Expect a dusting to half inch tonight with maybe an inch or two Wed. Then it melts and we return to spring temps on the weekend. MJO expected to go into phase 7/8 by MLK week still. With pattern change, still seein the poential for MIller A's being tracked shortly before MLK. Its coming, like a thief in the night.

Where are you seeing the MJO forecasts for emerging into 7/8? Having a hard time finding it. All MJO forecasts I see bring it high amplitude 4/5 killing the amplitude quickly in 6 then back into the cod. Thanks.

yes, that is what is forecasted now but weather history dictates that a high amplitude six death spiral will not occur that quickly. There will be a time  where part of it will be in the 7/8 near the COD. Its this pattern change near 7/8 where the MIller A's will pop. 40 + years of weather watching is telling me this. The GOM will open up for business for a short time.