Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-20 Mid-Atlantic Guidelines

WxUSAF

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s what the panic room and banter is for. Both are active and we see it. It just doesn’t blow up the main discussion.  If blowing up the discussion is what you want...then tough. I actually like your act. I find it funny. But the problem is there are 20 other posters that also want to do that and if allowed whenever the pattern isn’t good or we get screwed by a storm the discussion thread would turn into a hot mess of bitching and moaning. 

The act got old 10 years ago.

Ignore is a great function.

• Like 1

Do the people who want to fill up the main thread with their complaints realize they will chase all the quality contributors away?  I can deal with it. I think it’s absurd the way some carry on but I don’t mind mixing it up and getting into debates about how absurd they are being. But that crap is chasing away good posters. I want people to discuss weather with in here. Do they really want this to become a sub dominated by constant complaining about our climo and no substantive meteorological analysis?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Do the people who want to fill up the main thread with their complaints realize they will chase all the quality contributors away?  I can deal with it. I think it’s absurd the way some carry on but I don’t mind mixing it up and getting into debates about how absurd they are being. But that crap is chasing away good posters. I want people to discuss weather with in here. Do they really want this to become a sub dominated by constant complaining about our climo and no substantive meteorological analysis?  

Even if they did want it, it won’t happen that way. We have this discussion every winter. People get over the moderation eventually. 

There is a difference between excessive complaints and disappointed commentary mixed in.

The only thing worse than people complaining about lack of winter weather, is the people who complain about the people who complain about the lack of winter weather.

#getarealproblem

#itsjustsnow

#justforgetaboutwinterandgofocusonsomethingelse.

15 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

There is a difference between excessive complaints and disappointed commentary mixed in.

The only thing worse than people complaining about lack of winter weather, is the people who complain about the people who complain about the lack of winter weather.

#getarealproblem

#itsjustsnow

there are two threads for complaints and whining. Banter and the Panic Room. Either use them correctly, or don't. Won't be my posts that disappear. 

25 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

#getarealproblem

#itsjustsnow

whats worse is people using the thread, that explains the effort to limit complaining, to complain about the complaining and tell the people trying to limit the complaining how to limit complaining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, H2O said:

whats worse is people using the thread, that explains the effort to limit complaining, to complain about the complaining and tell the people trying to limit the complaining how to limit complaining.

LOL

True. You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Just now, RevWarReenactor said:

LOL

True. You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

your reality is that you're free to post whatever you want, where you want, but there will be consequences to what you post. 

I agree with the concept of keeping the complaints in the two threads banter and panic. I certainly occasionally slip up and post my humor in the obs thread and in general my feelings don't get hurt when my post gets deleted...thems the rules.

All of that said...I'm not really sure what kind of personality you are if you get so frustrated and butthurt because people aren't talking about weather in technical terms with at least one year of meteorology at some semi serious college that you take your ball and go home and never post again. Especially if it's properly moderated which it generally is here. I'm quite sure there are some pure science sites out there for those types of posters. Dont you come here because you're a nerd and weather geek and get excited about stuff and want to share that nerdiness or do you come here to show us how smart you are?

Anyway I'm sure someone will get pissed off and stop posting. Sorry about that I'll take the blame. At least you guys like Ji's style :hurrbear:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I agree with the concept of keeping the complaints in the two threads banter and panic. I certainly occasionally slip up and post my humor in the obs thread and in general my feelings don't get hurt when my post gets deleted...thems the rules.

All of that said...I'm not really sure what kind of personality you are if you get so frustrated and butthurt because people aren't talking about weather in technical terms with at least one year of meteorology at some semi serious college that you take your ball and go home and never post again. Especially if it's properly moderated which it generally is here. I'm quite sure there are some pure science sites out there for those types of posters. Dont you come here because you're a nerd and weather geek and get excited about stuff and want to share that nerdiness or do you come here to show us how smart you are?

Anyway I'm sure someone will get pissed off and stop posting. Sorry about that I'll take the blame. At least you guys like Ji's style :hurrbear:

FWIW, I'm not talking about the dis/obs thread. just the LR threads, and eventually storm discussion threads. I know how giddy I get when snow is coming, and I want to kid and carry on with everyone too. Just, as a group, we need to collectively do better at making sure we post banter and such in the correct threads. 

This topic gets discussed at the start of every winter season. People complain about the moderation, while others complain about how there isnt enough moderation, some leave, some throw tantrums in the threads. 

We can't please everyone, we aren't pizza. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

FWIW, I'm not talking about the dis/obs thread. just the LR threads, and eventually storm discussion threads. I know how giddy I get when snow is coming, and I want to kid and carry on with everyone too. Just, as a group, we need to collectively do better at making sure we post banter and such in the correct threads. 

This topic gets discussed at the start of every winter season. People complain about the moderation, while others complain about how there isnt enough moderation, some leave, some throw tantrums in the threads. 

For the record I'm on your side I'm just wondering why someone would leave? Honestly who has really left over the years and did they specifically say because X poster is a dingaling?

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

For the record I'm on your side I'm just wondering why someone would leave? Honestly who has really left over the years and did they specifically say because X poster is a dingaling?

I know you are, and I appreciate that! Was just clarifying for others who may be reading. 

I can only think of Mitch, but not sure why he left. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mappy said:

And the pizza we serve is Hawaiian.  The perfect balance of sweet and savory.  

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

I actually personally lean towards less moderation.  I always liked the side comments and banter mixed in.  But the last few years it got completely out of control at times.  And some people started attacking people who wanted to make legitimate posts about the pattern.  And while there weren't many who flat out left, although I can think of a few, what happened more frequently were regular contributors suddenly took extended breaks because things had just got too negative.  And I fully admit I was as much a part of the problem as anyone else.  I would post stupid comments that had no value, jokes, and worse would argue about climo with the people whining in the main thread when all that stuff belonged in banter.  And last year I got upset when I realized the MJO was going to collapse and cycle right back into warm phases mid January and I posted about 10 times saying the same thing out of frustration.  I should have had more self control. I need to be better.  And this year I have had to stop myself several times and post in banter instead.  But this really is the best way IMO to give everyone as close to what they want as possible.  We can all say what we want in banter and panic room but this way it keeps the tone and discussion in the main threads more productive.  The last thing we need in the main thread is an echo chamber of how crappy our climo is every time it doesn't snow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:02 AM, WxUSAF said:

So glad we’re getting the annual moderation philosophy discussion out of the way early this year 

was just looking for the popcorn emoji when i read your post...SMH.  

Whats funny is that some think even this thread is debatable....

Thx for setting things straight.  We owe you beers for all you do...but never see.

Carry on.

edit - Give that Mappy chick a beer too....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

was just looking for the popcorn emoji when i read your post...SMH.  

Whats funny is that some think even this thread is debatable....

Thx for setting things straight.  We owe you beers for all you do...but never see.

Carry on.

edit - Give that Mappy chick a beer too....:rolleyes:

You can keep your eye roll. Thanks 

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

You can keep your eye roll. Thanks 

sorry wrong emoji. was just tryin to be inclusive.

is this better? :P

theres a little smartass in all of us.  

Just playin w/ ya.  

I dont envy any of you mods here.  You all earn your keep/beer.  

19 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

sorry wrong emoji. was just tryin to be inclusive.

is this better? :P

theres a little smartass in all of us.  

Just playin w/ ya.  

I dont envy any of you mods here.  You all earn your keep/beer.  

Sorry, rough day for me today and a bit sensitive. 

53 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

And for some reason, @mappy, @H2O, and @Bob Chill don’t have green tags still. @stormtracker I am willing to generously reduce my ample wages to help pay their salaries. 

I've asked.  Heck, I've offered things that you wouldn't want to know about to get more spechul privies.  

*crickets*

I think he doesn't like white people who are funnier than him.  and taller.  Which means he hates 95% of us.

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic