Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-20 Mid-Atlantic Guidelines

WxUSAF

Friends,

With winter around the corner and Bob opening the December mid/long range thread, we the staff want to make a few things clear. We’ve lost some good posters over the last few years due to trolling, junk posting, whining, etc. and this is an effort to stop the bleeding in that regard. 

So, to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high, we’re going to do the following:

1. All mid/long range threads and storm-specific threads will be more heavily moderated. This doesn’t mean don’t post useful questions, this means don’t whine about lack of snow or try and make jokes in these threads. 

2. Normal running obs and banter threads will operate as usual and moderate only normal forum rule violations. 

Remember you can quote a post and respond in another thread if you just have to snark about something. 

Thanks!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 13
  • Weenie 3

Thanks for this, WxUSAF.  In a way, kind of sad we actually need this kind of notice, but given the past couple or so winters it's necessary.  I'm reminded of Bob's similar post at some point (2 winters ago?  I've lost track!).  The medium range threads really did get to be a chore to slog through at times, to the point of being unreadable.  The panic room thread is great, because it's nice for people to vent in there or be snarky, and also just make fun of it all when the going is tough (Thanks, WxWatcher007/Reaper)!

So yeah, with that, just have to take things how they go, even if it's not easy.  As frustrating as it can be when it's not going well, I still try to at least get some understanding from a scientific/meteorological standpoint as to why events happened as they did (because the geek in me still is interested in that!).  I have zero expectation one way or another on this upcoming winter season, given some of the discussion I've seen.  Looks like too many factors on either side to make a set determination...so whatever!

On 11/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, WxUSAF said:

Friends,

With winter around the corner and Bob opening the December mid/long range thread, we the staff want to make a few things clear. We’ve lost some good posters over the last few years due to trolling, junk posting, whining, etc. and this is an effort to stop the bleeding in that regard. 

So, to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high, we’re going to do the following:

1. All mid/long range threads and storm-specific threads will be more heavily moderated. This doesn’t mean don’t post useful questions, this means don’t whine about lack of snow or try and make jokes in these threads. 

2. Normal running obs and banter threads will operate as usual and moderate only normal forum rule violations. 

Remember you can quote a post and respond in another thread if you just have to snark about something. 

Thanks!

methinks some forgot to read the guidelines. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ji said:

i want to complain in an active thread where it can be seen  by alot of people

That’s what the panic room and banter is for. Both are active and we see it. It just doesn’t blow up the main discussion.  If blowing up the discussion is what you want...then tough. I actually like your act. I find it funny. But the problem is there are 20 other posters that also want to do that and if allowed whenever the pattern isn’t good or we get screwed by a storm the discussion thread would turn into a hot mess of bitching and moaning. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s what the panic room and banter is for. Both are active and we see it. It just doesn’t blow up the main discussion.  If blowing up the discussion is what you want...then tough. I actually like your act. I find it funny. But the problem is there are 20 other posters that also want to do that and if allowed whenever the pattern isn’t good or we get screwed by a storm the discussion thread would turn into a hot mess of bitching and moaning. 

I could care less if Ji wants to complain... as long as he does it in the right thread.  I have sort of become numb to his complaints and just pass on his posts to be honest

1 minute ago, yoda said:

I could care less if Ji wants to complain... as long as he does it in the right thread.  I have sort of become numb to his complaints and just pass on his posts to be honest

The issue is what PSU touched on - it isn't just Ji, he touches off a hive of 20 who also do it. And not as artfully. And without Ji's understanding. Then it devolves into an unending circle of despair. Doing it in the correct threads isn't too much to ask, for sure.

Another move to make things more sterile. If there was a thread for complaints it would be one thing, but Banter is mostly offtopic and Panic room is dead/a game.

I don't think the model discussion thread should be a lot of people complaining, but there is way too much sensitivity to it. Really takes nothing to set PSU off in a rage when people are frustrated with winter. But now that he has super secret mod title.... So he will just be removing everything not super sterile.

"Ah the 18z GFS took a step in the wrong direction. We can't win"..

PSU: Ah how dare you complain!!!! How dare you! This is how the mid atlantic winters are around here!!! AAAHHGGGG!!! Take it to the panic room!!!!!

• Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

24 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Another move to make things more sterile. If there was a thread for complaints it would be one thing, but Banter is mostly offtopic and Panic room is dead/a game.

I don't think the model discussion thread should be a lot of people complaining, but there is way too much sensitivity to it. Really takes nothing to set PSU off in a rage when people are frustrated with winter. But now that he has super secret mod title.... So he will just be removing everything not super sterile.

PSU: Ah how dare you complain!!!! How dare you! This is how the mid atlantic winters are around here!!! AAAHHGGGG!!! Take it to the panic room!!!!!

Then... don't post here if you don't like it?

53 minutes ago, yoda said:

Then... don't post here if you don't like it?

Love it or leave it? Nah. I will take from here what I still enjoy and voice my opinion on what I think is foolish.

I believe in leaving most banter and ridiculous complaints out of the model thread actually. What I don't believe in is flying off the handle at the smallest bit of disappointments. Imagine going to football game and being unable to express disappointment when your team loses. The horror of it!

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I love you too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic