Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019 Med/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

27 minutes ago, Mr. Kevin said:

Does anyone know where the mjo is located currently? Dr. Roundy told me there are two areas of convection, one in the IO and in the Pacific. I would think we want the IOD to weaken some. That imo is hurting the mjo progression. 

The models all seem to think it is in the Indian Ocean right now, right on the border between zones 2 and 3.

41 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

GEFS again showing a PAC improvement toward the end of the run.  Out there in fantasy land but hoping we can make this a trend....Building some serious cold in NW Canada.

If correct, will be interesting tracking that serious cold for mid Jan.  

Just now, cbmclean said:

The models all seem to think it is in the Indian Ocean right now, right on the border between zones 2 and 3.

As mentioned previously, a few mets believe the +IOD will weaken.

Actually, it has started to weaken, hopefully that trend continues and the caveat is the lag period needed to wash out the residual atmospheric effects of the record + IOD  takes some time.   I have not heard anyone yet venturing an estimate on when that will be.    

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

GEFS again showing a PAC improvement toward the end of the run.  Out there in fantasy land but hoping we can make this a trend....Building some serious cold in NW Canada.

The epo ridge is our fastest way out of the crappy period coming up. We can work with the repeating "san diego trough" if we can get some cold to build in nw canada. The atl looks workable start to finish on all guidance. We don't need a perfect pac but it no doubt needs to improve considerably before we start getting chances again. A ridge somewhere/anywhere north of say...San Fran would work. Split flow and a source of even just normal continental air is workable. Especially late Dec through mid Feb. 

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I think we are heading there just dont know when....maybe we have some clarity in about a week when we see what the MJO wave will do.

Also, consider the source (GEFS)

Good point about sources. I know various models have different ideas about the MJO progression. Some on the colder side, other warmer.  

I believe the ECM depiction might be the warmer phase(s). 

Meanwhile we have a vortex strengthening event taking place. The vortex normally fluctuates in strength, and I believe this is the time of the year when it is the strongest. 

I still prefer it to be weaker honestly. Also, the precursor pattern pattern that weakened it after the last ramp up , well, I am not so sure we get a healthy attack going on any time soon. I hear things, but nothing very firm. 

The seasonal models, as I know, called for the vortex to be on the stronger side and remain so, however that does not mean a weakening vortex can not happen in Jan. Even a SSWE can still occur later in the season, including  vortex elongations, and displacement events.    

A lot to keep up with.

@frd  What's interesting is the pattern depicted by the GEFS toward the end of the run is what you would expect to see as we approach a phase 8.  Yet, the EPS is not too far from the GEFS... just a few days behind schedule.  Not what you would expect to see as we approach a phase 6.

Regarding the strat, i dont know what to think the future might hold.  One common theme this season has been for a more bottom up disruption and that has worked in our favor a few times.  The SPV is forecasted to be strong and I think these strat guys focus on that.  Using the LR Euro just as an example...the bottom up disruption looks to continue and that's all we need for snow and cold potential.  

yWT7Lgk.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

One common theme this season has been for a more bottom up disruption and that has worked in our favor a few times. 

Even though we have not had any significant snowfall in the Dc and Baltimore areas so far, it does seem the HL have been friendly and any vortex elongations , at least cold air delivery-wise have benefited the NE part of the country, including us. I hope that continues.

14 minutes ago, frd said:

Even though we have not had any significant snowfall in the Dc and Baltimore areas so far, it does seem the HL have been friendly and any vortex elongations , at least cold air delivery-wise have benefited the NE part of the country, including us. I hope that continues.

Fair enough...A lengthy stretch of bias cooler temps has indeed netted pertty much zero.  Pretty meh as a whole. 

Give it 12 hours and hopefully we all have a nice 1-3" blanket of white!

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Fair enough...A lengthy stretch of bias cooler temps has indeed netted pertty much zero.  Pretty meh as a whole. 

Give it 12 hours and hopefully we all have a nice 1-3" blanket of white!

Good luck out there tonight ! 

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Overnight EPS now has ridging building into Alaska at roughly day 13. Have a decent -EPO by the end of the run.

eta: GEFS is quicker establishing the -EPO then the EPS as we are seeing height builds around day 9.

That sounds like an improvement even from yesterday.  Baby steps. 

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Run over run changes from yesterday's EPS to tonight's shows we are seeing better height builds (starts day 13 or so) through the EPO region.

epsrunoverrun.gif.27c98b32340e9494aa4e6cd46b1ae19d.gif

Looks like we have a trend rather than just model noise now. Also looks like the TPV is re-positioning itself in a more favorable location.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:
End of the run actually looks half decent. 

We lose the Atlantic though

Not really sure we are. Not that I take too seriously anything the models throw at us in the extended when it comes to the NAO domain but some of the things I see suggest we don't. Though we do see +heights anomalies disappear I think that is more a function of the PV rotating down through the western portions of the NAO domain at that time. Where that eventually ends up will probably determine the NAO fate. We see that further to the east planted over Greenland, then yeah we have issues. But besides that, the fact that we are seeing lower heights planted in the 50/50 region suggesting troughieness  through there suggests to me that something is holding that feature in place. And if you look in eastern Greenland we do see slight ridging there as well as higher heights to the south of it. Get this setup nearer in time we probably see more distinct ridging there as that feature doesn't get washed out from the smoothing the models tend to do in the extended. 

NAOdomain.gif.04954a8779706813b5d2adc8b36c0a5b.gif

20 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Looks like we have a trend rather than just model noise now. Also looks like the TPV is re-positioning itself in a more favorable location.

There is definitely a light showing at the end of the tunnel on both the GEFS and the EPS when it comes to our torchfest.

I know I am the only one so call me stubborn or just a fool, but I still believe when all is said and told the east (especially mid-Atlantic and north) clocks in with around seasonable temps through the coming torch. Of course the GEFS has pretty much crapped in my bed its last few runs on this belief so there is that.  :whistle:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic