Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Med/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

1 minute ago, frd said:

I only had three beers.......  getting ready for the Eagles game. I need to be a little buzzed to watch my home town team. Ugh !   

To clarify, they look a bit on the warm side until the end of January.

They also look like the Euro seasonal model runs which depict little high latitude blocking.  So, they match the Euro seasonals from Sept and October that forecast little blocking and a not so good pattern for us.  I hope that is clearer.  

To me they look washed out and imply the eps has no clue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

One thing I noticed is there are no strong 500mb height anoms parked anywhere. No strong teleconnection signals either. That tells me that inside of the weekly's mean panels are equal distribution of every possible outcome. Lol. 

Yes, as to my remark they seem washed out. Nothing remarkable . but NOT a torch either. 

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Yes, as to my remark they seem washed out. Nothing remarkable . but NOT a torch either. 

They basically tell us nothing other than long duration extreme wx patterns are unlikely. Imgur app isn't giving me direct links so I can't embed but here's the 30 day mean for d15-45. I have never seen such an ambiguous panel.  Lol

http://imgur.com/a/XKJR0Yp

ETA: @psuhoffman. Lol- identical thoughts again. Uncanny at times 

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

They always look ambiguous. One reason why I find them mostly useless. Its pretty much up for interpretation for those who insist on "seeing" something telling there. Pretty subjective.

Not mostly useless, completely useless. A blind squirrel finds a nut  occasionally and that’s the perfect analogy for anytime the weeklies are correct.

Euro upped the ante for the day 7 period. Kuchera actually shows greater totals for the cities and north I just couldn't get the whole time frame for the whole region using it.

204653045_snowmap.gif.0c49905b35a0bbb78ef2b27cbe492a16.gif

Believe it or not though, If this idea of closing off the 500's with the trailing trough is legit there is even more potential upside with the snow map above especially for those in the southern and eastern portions of our region. As it is the blowup we see on the snow from the previous run is directly related to how the trough is handled. We are seeing the trough axis having a more neutral look compared to the somewhat sheared look previously. We are also seeing a quicker closing of the 500's as well. These things are enabling a better feed of moisture into our region. Right now the trough is lagging behind somewhat from the lower pressures we are seeing first in the south and then off the east coast. But if we can see the separation between the two lessened by 1/2 to a day as well as possibly a quicker closing of the trough we probably would see a much more vigorous system or even possibly a 1, 2 punch.

****Actually saw encouraging signs across the board (GFS, GEFS, Euro, EPS) But we are talking seven days away, so...***

983215275_closedlow.gif.dab63ed96993061671b4a211799bd045.gif

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Euro upped the ante for the day 7 period. Kuchera actually shows greater totals for the cities and north I just couldn't get the whole time frame for the whole region using it.

Believe it or not though, If this idea of closing off the 500's with the trailing trough is legit there is even more potential upside with the snow map above especially for those in the southern and eastern portions of our region. As it is the blowup we see on the snow from the previous run is directly related to how the trough is handled. We are seeing the trough axis having a more neutral look compared to the somewhat sheared look previously. We are also seeing a quicker closing of the 500's as well. These things are enabling a better feed of moisture into our region. Right now the trough is lagging behind somewhat from the lower pressures we are seeing first in the south and then off the east coast. But if we can see the separation between the two lessened by 1/2 to a day as well as possibly a quicker closing of the trough we probably would see a much more vigorous system or even possibly a 1, 2 punch.

****Actually saw encouraging signs across the board (GFS, GEFS, Euro, EPS) But we are talking seven days away, so...***

GFS looks pretty similar re the snowfall map, but the heavier snow is just north of our region a bit further up into PA. Given the advertised pattern there is a ton of potential, and yeah at this range there are just a few options on how this evolves. It's a pretty classic advertised look up top for a MA winter storm, maybe for as far south as NC. Long way to go ofc.

• Like 1

Probably the biggest reason we are seeing a more favorable trough setup is because of the higher heights showing above it through southern Canada on this latest run. Below is the run over run change from yesterdays 12Z. This helps to create better dig as well as a better turning of the trough axis. The changes with the lower pressures reflect the response we see from the trough from those higher heights.

500schange.gif.e605366101738bcdbe697e22e108e715.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

983215275_closedlow.gif.dab63ed96993061671b4a211799bd045.gif

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this would be around the 10 year anniversary of the 2009 storm. That would be pretty awesome if it happens. 

• Weenie 1

MSLP anomaly and precip panels still look enticing. This is the third straight run on the EPS with a pretty strong storm signal for this period.

1576648800-cjLac1QPqvQ.png

1576648800-pnnTE5GmReQ.png

I know you hate snow maps from Ensembles but this period is really popping up.  With the advertised look up top, this could get fun, quickly.  Again, some of the best "clustering" at this lead so far.

Euro Snow DEC 18.png

• Like 3

pretty classic advertised look up top for a MA winter storm, maybe for as far south as NC.

Might be going towards this down the road and the talk of an improving Atlantic has been discussed here for the last several days. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I like seeing those big hits to the south of DC. 

That is what I like to see as well. However, some might be apprehensive after the recent screw job last year in early December.

I don't think we would see anything like that weird set-up again this go around. If I recall correctly is was a piece of the vortex rotating and/or a pv streamer that deflected and or prevented the storm from moving further North. This was also the time too of the continuation of the SWE and the I believe there was even large North Atlantic High. I don't recall the specifics, but the after thought was in a typical progression the Northern Mid Atlantic should have been hit by that SECS.  

13 minutes ago, frd said:

That is what I like to see as well. However, some might be apprehensive after the recent screw job last year in early December.

I don't think we would see anything like that weird set-up again this go around. If I recall correctly is was a piece of the vortex rotating and/or a pv streamer that deflected and or prevented the storm from moving further North. This was also the time too of the continuation of the SWE and the I believe there was even large North Atlantic High. I don't recall the specifics, but the after thought was in a typical progression the Northern Mid Atlantic should have been hit by that SECS.  

HL blocking that appears to be well-timed may end being the saving grace with this particular threat. Like many of us often allude to, we dont need an anchored blocking look for weeks at a time. Nice window next week for something.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, frd said:

We always need wiggle room. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic