Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Med/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

A decent event appears near the end of the 18z GFS run... probably going to be our first real threat of the season if what the EPS/GEFS are suggesting that we have we actually have 

Feel like the Dec 11-12 time frame might need to be watched too. I like the end of the GFS run as well.  Looking forward to your first play by play of the season. ;)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Feel like the Dec 11-12 time frame might need to be watched too. I like the end of the GFS run as well.  Looking forward to your first play by play of the season. ;)

If we could get a wave along the tail end of the front that time could have potential. 18z teases that, but the wave is weak and sheared.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Just be patient. Even though it looks like we go back to bn temps after a nice warm day or 2 next week, pulling an event out of the progressive flow with no block requires a lot of little things to work out. Most importantly tight spacing... Each airmass capable of producing snow will only be in a good spot for 2-3 days tops. Miss that window and the next event is likely rain. 

It does look like we're moving back into the game mid/late next week. Would be nice if the +pna pattern hangs on for 1-2 weeks so we can get more than one isolated chance at threading the needle 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Bank on it.  8 am flight to Key West on the 12th for a Friday the 13th birthday weekend. 

@frd  Some positive signs amongst the muddy waters, imo.  The propensity for HLB so far has been decent.  Nothing sustained.....yet.  Aleutian low seems to want to keep forming. No shortage of closed lows traversing the country.  No red flags with the strat and if anything signs are positive.  I know others have mentioned the MJO and the struggle models are having with it.  I think once we get to mid Dec we will see the MJO stopping its flirt with phase 3 and circle back to 8/1.   +IOD is coming down but SSTs still showing it plainly...it will have its say.

Feeling pretty positive about late Dec and Jan....Though, I feel pretty positive every time before I play golf.  Not so much once back to the clubhouse!

• Like 2

EPS is now fairly strongly picking up on the possibility of a deep dropping PV as well as the potential for a significant cold shot. Below is the run over run changes being seen. Note that we see a significant change in the heights. This is representative of the EPS  now seeing lower pressures associated with the pv much farther south then previous runs.

epsheightschange.gif.450f3771a05ccc262b76149d50234982.gif

Thus we are seeing very significant run over run changes with the 850 temps which are also indicative of a deeper dropping pv.

eps850tempchange.gif.13a0db8ab0597457068154e0106cf08e.gif

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

HM Tweets again reinforcing what is being discussed

Excellent animation by Hugo regarding the upcoming wave break in the North Atlantic. Gives more support to something near mid month. The evolution of any -NAO is still key to an any snow possibilities down our way. By this time we are deeper in December, will be interesting to see what transpires in the NAO domain the second and third weeks of December. Maybe the block times perfectly with some over-running moisture to our South, as signs are for an active STJ this month. 

Also,  note the changes here beyond December 7 th :

00Z GEFS 1.0° 100 hPa 60°N tercile categories

The tercile-category anomaly of the lower-stratospheric polar vortex, defined by the 100 hPa 60°N zonal-mean zonal wind, has been used as a diagnostic for the behaviour in the ‘coupling layer’ between the stratosphere and troposphere, i.e. the level in the stratosphere where circulation anomalies are important for influencing tropospheric weather regimes (e.g. Charlton-Perez et al. 2018, Lee et al. 2019). The chart below shows the percent of GEFS members in each tercile anomaly category, based on daily 1979-2018 ERA-5 climatology.

Weak = lower tercile; neutral = middle tercile; strong = upper tercile.

U100-60 GEFS terciles

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

That post by Webb is a prime example of why trusting ensembles right now past D10 is risky.  In 4 days it goes from CONUS torch/Pac flood to a nasty Arctic outbreak.  

You know avoiding a massive and prolonged warm up in Canada, along with a loss of snow cover, similar to last December, in my opinion really ups the ante for severe arctic outbreaks here in our area. Snow cover to our North and Northwest is very impressive right now.     

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

That post by Webb is a prime example of why trusting ensembles right now past D10 is risky.  In 4 days it goes from CONUS torch/Pac flood to a nasty Arctic outbreak.  

Webb jumped on the ens too quick. That look was fleeting and sporadic and not a building signal. There were plenty of conflicting signals at the same time but Webb wanted to be first to call the torch.

• Like 8

I generally look at the height fields and not numerical indices but the graphs are telling us something... Every major teleconnection has been zig zagging (that's a technical term) since mid Nov. There is no stability or persistence with long wave features. You know what that tells me? It tells me not to make any fast decisions/predictions about anything. 

Looks like we have building consensus for a +pna/-epo/+nao period coming up. That's enough to keep us in the game but the game will be difficult to win. Beyond that? Good luck guessing. 

• Like 2

Digging back through the last week or so of ens runs, one thing does stand out with the EPS. The EPS has had multiple false signals of having a trough dig into the GoA or west coast in the long range. The GEFS/GEPS have been more consistent in showing more of a +pna and/or -epo building. Could be the MJO forecasts or it could be some sort of inherent bias. Don't really know the whys but the GEFS/GEPS appear to be verifying better d10+ in the Npac versus the EPS. Something to keep in mind when comparing ens runs in the LR. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Digging back through the last week or so of ens runs, one thing does stand out with the EPS. The EPS has had multiple false signals of having a trough dig into the GoA or west coast in the long range. The GEFS/GEPS have been more consistent in showing more of a +pna and/or -epo building. Could be the MJO forecasts or it could be some sort of inherent bias. Don't really know the whys but the GEFS/GEPS appear to be verifying better d10+ in the Npac versus the EPS. Something to keep in mind when comparing ens runs in the LR. 

Great points here!  Have the GEFS/GEPS also performed better on the MJO front, in fact?  If so, then that's probably the best explanation for their better verification up-top.

8 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Great points here!  Have the GEFS/GEPS also performed better on the MJO front, in fact?  If so, then that's probably the best explanation for their better verification up-top.

I honestly don't worry about the MJO much unless it's an amplified wave in the crappy sectors. Since mid Nov it's been either a weak signal or in the COD. Ens have been agreeing on a weak trip in phase 2 and back to the COD and that's been going on for most of the last week although I don't check every day. Just a quick scan once in a while so my MJO obs could be flawed. 

The AO flip was well modeled by all ens and even ops. It's almost a lock that the east gets at least a brief warm period after the AO flips positive and that appears to be verifying over the next week or so. Back when the AO flip was first showing consensus it looked really ugly but thankfully that's backed off and the current +AO flip appears to be short lived and inconsequential in the bigger picture. The nPac appears to want to play nice and that's the best way to avoid a +AO shutout/torch. 

• Like 2

QBO for November came in at 5.07.  Looking at the progression the closest matches to this year are 

2004, 2002, 1997, 1978, and 1969.  Of those the best match purely on QBO continues to be 2002 with the last 3 months all being nearly identical.  Of the 15 winter months those years the AO was negative 12/15 months.  The only year of those that didn't feature a -AO for 2/3 months was 2004-5 but it is notable that year started with an extremely +AO and flipped mid January.  

There were 2 other years that were somewhat close, 1955 and 1961.  If we include those the AO was negative 17/21 months.  

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic