• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/12/19 Tennessee Valley Early Winter Event

BlunderStorm

I missed this thread over the long weekend. Per water vapor and 12Z charts a true short-wave slide through the Deep South below Tennessee. Hence post-frontal snow verified at or above forecast. 

Chattanooga proper only had flurries - shocker there. Dusting fell up on Signal Mountain. Congrats to all who enjoyed snow, esp if above expectations.

• Like 4

No November day will top November 25th, 1950.  High 8, low -7 here.  8 inches of snow on the ground. It was -8 in Allardt that morning. Which may be the all time record low for November in Tennessee since a lot of stations weren't up back then. It was also -7 in Jamestown that morning and -6 in Monteagle. 

• Like 2

As the final total for the 12th I recorded 2.2 inches with flurries still falling on the measurement tile. In the grass I measured as much as 4 inches in some places. Currently I'm sitting at 16 degrees with the possibility of reaching single digits for a low tonight. It was nice to see old man winter finally return. I'm glad most folks in our region got some (or a lot) of flakes as well. Hopefully this sets the trend for the upcoming winter. ^_^

IMG_20191113_010057531.thumb.jpg.c22fb028916b1078df63b723cc46229b.jpg

• Like 5

We definitely saw NW-flow enhancement during the late afternoon/early evening hours yesterday. For most, flurries began falling in earnest just prior to sunset - a phenomenon that has been discussed within this forum before. @Carvers Gap, I feel like you were in on that original discussion and had some good insight. (But, I've slept and drank since then, so perhaps I'm not remembering correctly altogether!)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John1122 said:

No November day will top November 25th, 1950.  High 8, low -7 here.  8 inches of snow on the ground. It was -8 in Allardt that morning. Which may be the all time record low for November in Tennessee since a lot of stations weren't up back then. It was also -7 in Jamestown that morning and -6 in Monteagle. 

Holy cow! I don't remember ever looking at this one. Even Nashville had 9.2" and a low of -1. 

edit: after looking at I realized that is the Great Appalachian Storm of 1950. Didn't realize that it affected mid-TN as well. 

• Like 2

The Nov. 1950 storm was a monster ! Great writeups and pics can be found online. My County received 1 to 3 feet with much higher drifts. The official reporting station in Pennington gap (ele. 1400 ft) recorded 17". A relative of mine was in for Thanksgiving from Dayton Ohio and said his Car looked like a hump, completed covered when he went out to get ready to head back to Dayton. The Weirton Museum online has alot of pics from that part of WV in their site. 4 feet there. Most reported was in southern WV where 5 feet was reported ! 

• Like 1

Did MRX put out a graphic of snow fall totals on the current event we just had? I looked but couldn’t find anything? It’s funny how it all worked out, since I live in Morristown I go back and forth from both west to east side each day for work, school, etc.  Most of the county (Hamblen) got between 1-1.75in. Including me. However, there was an isolated area, close to and including where the NWS office is that picked up 2-3in+ and even looked like it could have approached 4! Only talking about probably a 3-5mi square radius. Had to have had some mesoscale components in that band in that area. Even just now, I drove through that area, and there is still a solid 2+in on the ground with hardly any grass showing. When I left the house, the snow had some gaps in it. Not nearly that much. I believe that @John1122had mentioned that he felt like some places E/NE of Knox could exceed WWA criteria, well this small area on the SW side of Hamblen came very very close to doing just that! Good forecasting John!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

We definitely saw NW-flow enhancement during the late afternoon/early evening hours yesterday. For most, flurries began falling in earnest just prior to sunset - a phenomenon that has been discussed within this forum before. @Carvers Gap, I feel like you were in on that original discussion and had some good insight. (But, I've slept and drank since then, so perhaps I'm not remembering correctly altogether!)

When I lived in JC off of Indian Ridge(might have mistakenly said Sunset earlier) up on the hill...it was crazy how much snow we would get.    That little ridge(as you are going towards the hospital) on the right just after you cross Indian Ridge Rd gets some nice little upslope.  It has a blue water tower on top.  I think I enjoyed upslope events there about as much as any other event anywhere, because it just kept snowing.  We get it here in Kingsport with enhanced flow if the system is to our south and east.  I could see the really light bands on Radarscope, so figured someone was seeing something.  When those NW flow bands set up perpendicular to the mountains...it is pretty fun.  It takes about an hour for us to get to Roan Mountain State Park.  I have driven from no snow in Kingsport to a foot there due to an upslope event.  I am always on Zillow looking for a good deal up there...never enough spare change sitting around.  Plus, everyone in my family would know why I wanted a house there...just to see snow.  Fortunately, the rest of my crew loves snow as well!!!

• Like 6

After looking back on the recorded low for today if my weather station is to be believed. (Kinda skeptical) It dropped to 8 this morning. Regarding additional snow beyond midnight, from what I measured in the morning I got an additional tenth of an inch. As of now I'd say I still have roughly an inch on the ground. (I live on a north-facing slope.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, EastTNWeatherAdmirer said:

Where did you get this image? Super Cool!

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php

Love this resource, so awesome to see snow after the affect or even check the current southern progress of leaf color change! 

Sometimes you need to switch between Terra and Aqua to find the highest resolution pass...

• Thanks 2

On 11/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, Knoxtron said:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php

Love this resource, so awesome to see snow after the affect or even check the current southern progress of leaf color change! 

Sometimes you need to switch between Terra and Aqua to find the highest resolution pass...

Thank You!