Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/12/19 Tennessee Valley Early Winter Event

BlunderStorm

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Not a huge event, but November accumulations outside the last 10 days of the month aren't very common. This one gave us a preview of some model biases to keep in mind as winter unfolds. Hopefully this is the first of many tracking situations that actually works out for us to some extent.

Considering that Knoxville averages 0.4 inches of snow in November, I'd say it was a good little event.

• Like 2

Just now, John1122 said:

Not a huge event, but November accumulations outside the last 10 days of the month aren't very common. This one gave us a preview of some model biases to keep in mind as winter unfolds. Hopefully this is the first of many tracking situations that actually works out for us to some extent.

Agree 100%, how much did you end up with? Happy for everyone who got in on this event, hopefully a preview of winter when climo brings a lot more in the game.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Agree 100%, how much did you end up with? Happy for everyone who got in on this event, hopefully a preview of winter when climo brings a lot more in the game.

1.25 inches. About 1/2 what the more optimistic models were spitting out here but pretty close to what the HRRR was showing towards the event approaching, which was around 1 inch. It closed schools here, so the kids are happy with it too.

• Like 3

Jed, we must be under that same band on the back side.  Just looking at the radar...looks like that band set up from Morristown into western Sullivan Co.  I have about 1" of snow in my front yard with nothing under the big tree.  On raised surfaces in the back yard...1.25" roughly.  IMBY...some places have two inches.  So, sitting at 1.5" roughly with lots of variation and still working through this last band of snow.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

I took this screenshot because it was funny that RadarScope was popping a hail indicator but you can see the band that set up on me. Now an hour before that the yellow was a little bigger and some orange was mixed in but when I looped the radar it was almost like a deform band where that backside edge was moving slower than the main body of precip. aea68172a5f3d57b77d2ac5629a527a0.jpg&key=3c6d8f997f2f94a2d14e336736be8a9e45bc282e0c109c594afb9ebfb9894a01

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Jed, we must be under that same band on the back side.  Just looking at the radar...looks like that band set up from Morristown into western Sullivan Co.  I have about 1" of snow in my front yard with nothing under the big tree.  On raised surfaces in the back yard...1.25" roughly.  IMBY...some places have two inches.  So, sitting at 1.5" roughly with lots of variation and still working through this last band of snow.  

Hey Carver, yes we must be. I have close to 2in in some spots as well with mostly 1.75in as the mean. This turned into a nice little event!

• Like 2

Looks like about .75 to an 1 inch in spots around north Johnson City.  This was a good tune up for what will hopefully come later (and often).  Looks to be one band just to my northwest with a nice little max in it.  Guessing if you are under that you are watching a bunch of fatties fall from the sky.  Congrats to all who saw at least SOME snow!  Throw an extra log on the fire tonight and another blanket on the bed............

• Like 5

After 5 in the morning I crashed and decided I would just wake'n see... and wow, I have to say this system did not disappoint. Currently sitting exactly at 1.8" on my level tile surface I use to scientifically measure. In the grass I got as much as 3"+. As of now there's still some nw flow action under the radar so another 0.2" to round the total out is completely possible. :snowing:

• Like 4

Found this on twitter since @griteater liked it.  Few places in the world are as pretty as our mountains when it snows.  I have seen snow on peaks that rise to 13K', but our mountains have something extra.  When the ceiling drops and the snow starts falling...just a rare kind beauty not found in many places.  I know the neighborhood in the Tweet below.  Would like to own a home their one day!  Not to far from...Carvers Gap.

• Like 4