Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Lake Effect 2019-20 Thread

sbnwx85

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

One last thing Ill say on the subject, is that lake effect snow here, far outside the belts, growing up, always meant lots of flurries and the occasional snow shower where you might get lucky and dust up a few tenths. However, the past decade or so we have seen multiple les bands drop snow in inches, not tenths, into southeast MI. They happen almost yearly, including a few crazy instances of 6"+ (I have not been lucky enough to be in those bands lol). I N-E-V-E-R saw LES of that "magnitude" make it to this portion of the state when I was a kid (Ive been a weather watcher since the age of 11 or so, ie, early to mid-1990s).

FYI, heres average seasonal snowfall & snowcover per decade at Detroit & Chicago, 2 Great Lakes cities outside the belts and on opposite sides of Lake MI.

DECADAL SNOWFALL AND 1”+ SNOWCOVER DAYS

DETROIT                                                               CHICAGO

2010s     49.9”     53 days                                42.7”    44 days

2000s     45.3”      51 days                                 38.5”    45 days

1990s    37.9”     37 days                                 33.5”    36 days

1980s    45.2”     47 days                                 38.1”    45 days

1970s    45.6”     57 days                                 55.6”    56 days

1960s    31.8”     57 days                                 44.6”    48 days

1950s    37.8”     47 days                                 38.2”    38 days

1940s    27.8”     48 days                                 33.7”    42 days

1930s    32.9”     44 days                                 30.9”    32 days

1920s    46.1”     49 days                                 27.3”    32 days

1910s    39.6”     59 days                                 31.2”    49 days

1900s    46.3”                                                     36.6”

1890s    43.2”

1880s:   43.1”

As for the belts, Ill be on Lake Superior in Munising Feb 16-19, so BRING IT!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, michsnowfreak said:

One last thing Ill say on the subject, is that lake effect snow here, far outside the belts, growing up, always meant lots of flurries and the occasional snow shower where you might get lucky and dust up a few tenths. However, the past decade or so we have seen multiple les bands drop snow in inches, not tenths, into southeast MI. They happen almost yearly, including a few crazy instances of 6"+ (I have not been lucky enough to be in those bands lol). I N-E-V-E-R saw LES of that "magnitude" make it to this portion of the state when I was a kid (Ive been a weather watcher since the age of 11 or so, ie, early to mid-1990s).

FYI, heres average seasonal snowfall & snowcover per decade at Detroit & Chicago, 2 Great Lakes cities outside the belts and on opposite sides of Lake MI.

DECADAL SNOWFALL AND 1”+ SNOWCOVER DAYS

DETROIT                                                               CHICAGO

2010s     49.9”     53 days                                42.7”    44 days

2000s     45.3”      51 days                                 38.5”    45 days

1990s    37.9”     37 days                                 33.5”    36 days

1980s    45.2”     47 days                                 38.1”    45 days

1970s    45.6”     57 days                                 55.6”    56 days

1960s    31.8”     57 days                                 44.6”    48 days

1950s    37.8”     47 days                                 38.2”    38 days

1940s    27.8”     48 days                                 33.7”    42 days

1930s    32.9”     44 days                                 30.9”    32 days

1920s    46.1”     49 days                                 27.3”    32 days

1910s    39.6”     59 days                                 31.2”    49 days

1900s    46.3”                                                     36.6”

1890s    43.2”

1880s:   43.1”

As for the belts, Ill be on Lake Superior in Munising Feb 16-19, so BRING IT!

Yeah, the LES making it into SEMI was rare in my youth there too. There was the Feb '85 event when the Low stalled N of Superior and spun for 2 days. East of KFNT at my folk's place we had 4-6" of ice cold pixies. More commonly, we would get squalls around Genesee Cnty that would drop 1 or 1.5" in short order, then the sun would come back out. Those I do remember as the better LES hits. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, weatherbo said:

There's been a lot actually the past several years, although my little corner here has not been under 200" a season since I've lived here.  One or two years it was close and the depth only peaked around 30" one year, think it was 2016-17.

Hey bo/Josh, we’re looking at some land, 15 acres, over near your old stomping ground bo, East Jordan. It’s actually just off M66 about 1/2 way between East Jordan and 131. Just wondering what you’re thoughts are of that area. Looks like they average a little over 100” of snow and it’s close to some really good mountain bike trails and some great inland lakes. Any thoughts you could pass along would be appreciated, thanks 

7 hours ago, slow poke said:

Hey bo/Josh, we’re looking at some land, 15 acres, over near your old stomping ground bo, East Jordan. It’s actually just off M66 about 1/2 way between East Jordan and 131. Just wondering what you’re thoughts are of that area. Looks like they average a little over 100” of snow and it’s close to some really good mountain bike trails and some great inland lakes. Any thoughts you could pass along would be appreciated, thanks 

I know the that area very well pass it everyday as I have an office in East Jordan. Snowfall is just okay in that area, I wold say they do alright for snowfall, however once you get towards Mancelonna the snowfall picks ups quite a bit, there is a decent elevation change  as EJ is kind of in a ditch. Same way towards Bo's old  stopping grounds as that area always has more snow on the ground then EJ area.  I'd say my area probably almost sees 50-75 percent more on average.

Now regarding other outdoor activities there are plenty of Lakes nearby, obviously Lake Charlevoix being a big attraction. Just take M66 up towards Charlevoix its a beautiful area along with some amazing houses along the lake. There is great hiking and biking in the area as well, snowmobiling towards Jordan valley is a great area, I'm sure you been there before and towards DeadMans Hill??

Also property is fairly cheap, taxes are okay, if you hunt it is a very good area for Deer, Turkey, etc. But just keep you expectations tempered especially regarding LES as it does fall short to other areas only 30-40 miles as away.  For example I have about 22" OTG at my house and EJ maybe has 8" OTG currently.  Although they can get hammered in a NNW flow or SW flow if the bands align just right (Both rare flows for Northern Mi). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, slow poke said:

There's not much negative to say about the area that's for sure.  When I lived there, winter's were awesome and summer was perfect (lake shadow ftw).  Not too hot and especially not too cool like it can be up here in summer.  That area isn't hugely populated so that was nice. You nailed it tho, lot's of woods and trails for riding all year long.  Some of the best fishing I've ever done was in six mile lake.  The hillbillies there are a different variety than anywhere I've lived...and I'll just leave it at that :whistle:

Looks to get pretty nasty up here with the arctic front... snow wind and temps plummeting to near 0.

6-8" snow up this way with a low visibility, small flake type snow.

MQT_snow_00-24hr.png.b770efefcbf449966d54b5f573823f5f.png

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:05 AM, weatherbo said:

There's not much negative to say about the area that's for sure.  When I lived there, winter's were awesome and summer was perfect (lake shadow ftw).  Not too hot and especially not too cool like it can be up here in summer.  That area isn't hugely populated so that was nice. You nailed it tho, lot's of woods and trails for riding all year long.  Some of the best fishing I've ever done was in six mile lake.  The hillbillies there are a different variety than anywhere I've lived...and I'll just leave it at that :whistle:

Looks to get pretty nasty up here with the arctic front... snow wind and temps plummeting to near 0.

6-8" snow up this way with a low visibility, small flake type snow.

MQT_snow_00-24hr.png.b770efefcbf449966d54b5f573823f5f.png

Thanks for the feedback guys, we went and looked at the property Friday, it's not something were interested in after seeing it. I think some of the hillbillies that you mentioned live on the road this property was on, pretty rough looking area. Junk cars in in yards, piles of scrap metal and old tires, its a shame because the view and area was really nice. The lower elevation was really noticeable compared to up the hill near 131, about 1/2 the snow cover as up the hill.   

3 hours ago, slow poke said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, we went and looked at the property Friday, it's not something were interested in after seeing it. I think some of the hillbillies that you mentioned live on the road this property was on, pretty rough looking area. Junk cars in in yards, piles of scrap metal and old tires, its a shame because the view and area was really nice. The lower elevation was really noticeable compared to up the hill near 131, about 1/2 the snow cover as up the hill.   

Yea that area is definitely not pristine outdoor living for Northern Mi standards. Also the snow differences is rather stark for that area heading east towards Mancelonna and towards my area. Are you looking for just property or a house as well, there are several parcels and even some houses available near my neck of the woods which would probably be more in line with what your looking for??

• 2 weeks later...

EC trying to forecast a Lake Blizzard?

1:23 PM EST Thursday 27 February 2020
Blizzard warning in effect for:

• Hanover - Dundalk - Southern Grey County
  • Saugeen Shores - Kincardine - Southern Bruce County

Blizzard conditions with poor visibility in snow and blowing snow are expected or occurring.

Conditions worsening tonight into Friday.

Snow and blowing snow off of Lake Huron is giving poor travel conditions to the regions this afternoon with local near whiteout conditions..

A particularly intense snow squall is expected to develop off Lake Huron this evening and become nearly stationary late this evening in a line from roughly Saugeen Shores to Durham. Dangerous widespread whiteout conditions are forecast. Local snowfall totals in excess of 50 cm are also expected.

The squall is expected to begin to shift southward and weaken somewhat Friday afternoon.

That's only the 3rd or 4th blizzard warning I've had, I'm guessing it won't verify past Kincardine but even there I'm skeptical. It will be the most significant snow event of the season here, but the winds aren't enough for blizzard. I got at least 35 cm already and another 40-50 cm is expected shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

EC trying to forecast a Lake Blizzard?

That's only the 3rd or 4th blizzard warning I've had, I'm guessing it won't verify past Kincardine but even there I'm skeptical. It will be the most significant snow event of the season here, but the winds aren't enough for blizzard. I got at least 35 cm already and another 40-50 cm is expected shortly.

Lived almost my entire life in Toronto and we've never been under a blizzard warning :(

So, you're looking at 2.5-3 feet of snow basically.  Photos would be swell!

11 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Lived almost my entire life in Toronto and we've never been under a blizzard warning :(

So, you're looking at 2.5-3 feet of snow basically.  Photos would be swell!

I think Toronto came close prior to the Groundhog day storm in 2011.

January 2-3, 1999 was also classed as a blizzard, I believe.

I would love to have experienced the January 1966 storm.

7 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I think Toronto came close prior to the Groundhog day storm in 2011.

January 2-3, 1999 was also classed as a blizzard, I believe.

I would love to have experienced the January 1966 storm.

We never realized blizzard conditions in 1999.  sustained winds were just under the threshold. Also, there was a temperature criteria back then that we likely didnt meet.

And the warning was WSW, but I dont remember completely.

20 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

We never realized blizzard conditions in 1999.  sustained winds were just under the threshold. Also, there was a temperature criteria back then that we likely didnt meet.

And the warning was WSW, but I dont remember completely.

We need a strong Gulf Low with the PV parked near Hudson Bay to get blizzard like conditions. A storm like Dec 92, but a bit colder, would likely meet that criteria. Isn’t there like a snowfall criteria too? 

20 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Wow, impressive lake effect for late February, ice free lakes will do that I guess 

Yea, the above avg temps and the strong SW winds that cleared what ice we had on Lake Mi is really helping the cause. Sadly this has probable been one of the biggest LES events of the season so far.

10 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Yea, the above avg temps and the strong SW winds that cleared what ice we had on Lake Mi is really helping the cause. Sadly this has probable been one of the biggest LES events of the season so far.

Not a great setup around here (maybe an inch total of LES), but I do believe this is the first time all year that the lake effect window lasted more than 6-8 hours.  Nothing heavy around here like your region is getting, but nice to see the radar lighting up with LES for once.

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Not a great setup around here (maybe an inch total of LES), but I do believe this is the first time all year that the lake effect window lasted more than 6-8 hours.  Nothing heavy around here like your region is getting, but nice to see the radar lighting up with LES for once.

Been getting hammered since last evening, picked up another foot so far, easily the best LES of the season which is definitely not the norm but the torch winter has impacted the whole region. 

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Been getting hammered since last evening, picked up another foot so far, easily the best LES of the season which is definitely not the norm but the torch winter has impacted the whole region. 

Nice, we’ll be up in your area tomorrow, gonna ride up to some friends of ours place in Lakes of the North, let it snow!