Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA Area Rest of fall and Winter 2019-2020 thread

meatwad

59 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Happy to see you guys getting some snow. Been a string of really rough winters for you!

CNY looks to get pummeled, the storm is deepening pretty rapidly now. I don’t know your climo well but when it comes to synoptic storms riding up inland, those rare inland tracks that get us are also good up that way. 

This winter you can’t complain about getting any snow, but if this thing could have started deepening a little further south given the track we could have easily doubled totals. There’s definitely going to be a stripe of snow that over performs with this one!

• Like 2

Official 7am update for KPIT is 3".  We're getting the biggest storm of the year!  Commute wasn't terrible for me, slushy, so slower, but everybody was moving and there were less people on the roads.  Helps that school is shut down too.

This is just one of those really great tracks.  We need more of them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

CNY looks to get pummeled, the storm is deepening pretty rapidly now. I don’t know your climo well but when it comes to synoptic storms riding up inland, those rare inland tracks that get us are also good up that way. 

This winter you can’t complain about getting any snow, but if this thing could have started deepening a little further south given the track we could have easily doubled totals. There’s definitely going to be a stripe of snow that over performs with this one!

Yeah, latitude was definitely your friend with this storm. Another 10 degrees south and we would be getting warning level amounts.

Euro showed decent moisture through this evening, maybe we get some LES enhanced this afternoon.

I live in Oakmont and work in Washington County. I left at 5:20 and just got to my desk about 7:30. People were very careful on the roads but 79S was pretty bad. 100% covered and a car spun out and was in the median. I'd say about 2.5" down here in Washington right now. 

28 minutes ago, OutnOakmont said:

I live in Oakmont and work in Washington County. I left at 5:20 and just got to my desk about 7:30. People were very careful on the roads but 79S was pretty bad. 100% covered and a car spun out and was in the median. I'd say about 2.5" down here in Washington right now. 

I’ve said it before on here...employers need their feet held to the fire for not being more understanding of people have to come in late on a day like today. I tried to call and say to my employer I’d be there around ten and was basically told no 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, it's coming down heavily. 1 to 2 inch per hour snowfall rates in my area. Unfortunately, the heaviest banding is just to my east...reports of 3" per hour under that band.

We over-achieved and got 5 inches from the first wave Thursday night, then a lull yesterday, then got caked in freezing rain last night, and have now picked up 5 inches in 3 and a half hours and still coming down hard.

Waited all winter for SOMETHING! I'm fairly new to the Syracuse area, and have been told that these tracks have been very rare lately. Seemed to happen much more in the 90s. Thankfully, Lake Effect and Lake Enhancement come into play (but even those have been rare this awful winter.)

Average 140 inches a year here. We still have a long ways to go, but this storm should help. :)

Enjoy your snow, Pittsburgh friends!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Meh, it’s hard to be thrilled with this knowing that a couple hundred miles away they are getting a foot. We missed timing on this by a few hours...of this got its act together sooner we would have been crushed. 

Ehh less to shovel. 

27 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Meh, it’s hard to be thrilled with this knowing that a couple hundred miles away they are getting a foot. We missed timing on this by a few hours...of this got its act together sooner we would have been crushed. 

Easy for me to be thrilled.  This year has been so terrible so far, that 3"+ is a miracle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I can confirm, just got in from shoveling and averaged just a hair under 4. It’s heavy wet snow so I could easily imagine we lost a half inch to compaction/ melting.

Yeah my back doesn't appreciate the heavy wet snow. Hopefully we get under some bands later. Yeah it sucks we missed out on a bigger snow but atleast we got something note worthy for a change even if we should get one or two of these a year. 

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Yeah my back doesn't appreciate the heavy wet snow. Hopefully we get under some bands later. Yeah it sucks we missed out on a bigger snow but atleast we got something note worthy for a change even if we should get one or two of these a year. 

It was nice change of pace to track something in the short range that actually worked out. This year has been almost all spent looking past day 7 hoping to see a window of opportunity. This window showed itself probably 5-6 days ago but it didn’t really look good until 48 hours out then thing’s kept getting better.

3.75 on the ground here. Models did a pretty good job I think in the last couple days. Anywhere from 3 in eastern and central Allegheny county  to 5 over in Westmoreland Co..

Not a big storm but the biggest so far for us this year. Also better than what most of us thought earlier in the week when it looked like we would get our usual inch or less on the back end. 

Let's push for 6-8 on the next storm in the next couple weeks. :snowwindow:Here's hoping.

I think my 3.2" is a final.  We've been getting showery snows for a while now but nothing is adding up.

I measured 1.7" at 5:30 AM and 2.8" at 7:30 AM.  Center cut Allegheny got stuck under subsidence/divergence earlier and that limited our totals.  Likewise, a lot of our snow was very fine flakes.  I think one of the things the models didn't handle well was snow growth.  Perhaps that was due to wind shear in the upper levels?  I'm not well versed in the DGZ.

This one hit the target; not an overperformer nor did it disappoint, necessarily.  If we had some blocking it could have been amazing.  To get anything in this winter is luck, though.  A shame we don't see these inland low tracks more often.  Still waiting for that widespread overrunning event that gets everyone.

SXUS71 KPBZ 072143
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
0442 PM EST FRI FEB 07 2020

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT PITTSBURGH PA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 4.8 WAS SET AT PITTSBURGH PA TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 4.5 SET IN 1967.

• Like 3

It definitely looked like about 5".  My car definitely showed it.  A very nice overachiever.  I'm happy with it.

And in regards to the 12" we all want, I of course want it, but I'd rather it happen when we can keep it on the ground for a while, I'm sure this snow will mostly be gone by early next week.