Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Pittsburgh PA Area Rest of fall and Winter 2019-2020 thread

meatwad

8 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Anyone live in the area near Robinson? There must be some decent elevation out this way. I started working here a few years ago and I can't get over the difference in snow here compared to home (Oakmont). 

I’d imagine that is similar to the airport ~1250’

Oakmont along the River is probably similar or maybe a tad higher than downtown (I’d guess 900’)

19 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I’d imagine that is similar to the airport ~1250’

Oakmont along the River is probably similar or maybe a tad higher than downtown (I’d guess 900’)

That would make sense since the airport is only a few miles away, although I didn't realize there was that much elevation west of the city. The river definitely seems to impact accumulations. Last year there were a couple of times when driving a mile or two up the hill into Plum/Penn Hills you could tell a difference in the amount of snow on the ground. 

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Nice to take advantage of the warm lakes early in the season.

Recent November cold shots have been with a WSW flow.

I remember these events being pretty common in the past even in November... not so much I’m the last 10 years or so. Nice to have a bit of early season snow for sure. 

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I remember these events being pretty common in the past even in November... not so much I’m the last 10 years or so. Nice to have a bit of early season snow for sure. 

I remember a few years ago one band came through and dropped isolated 5 inches. 

Its snowing pretty hard again here. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, north pgh said:

Looking like an inch or less overnight which shouldn't be too bad.

What I find interesting is some models are showing a few possible squall lines moving through tomorrow afternoon. It should be interesting to see how scattered or strong they will be. 

This worked out just as I thought. Last night was minor and I was sleeping anyway so I didn't miss much. Today I spent the morning and early afternoon in Butler and just drove south through these snow bursts. A heavy burst right now and about 1.5 inches of snow on the ground. Like I have said before I would rather have the snow falling when we can enjoy seeing it fall as opposed to waking up to it already on the ground and shoveling it. As much as last weeks light snow under-performed, today was an over-performer.

34 minutes ago, north pgh said:

This worked out just as I thought. Last night was minor and I was sleeping anyway so I didn't miss much. Today I spent the morning and early afternoon in Butler and just drove south through these snow bursts. A heavy burst right now and about 1.5 inches of snow on the ground. Like I have said before I would rather have the snow falling when we can enjoy seeing it fall as opposed to waking up to it already on the ground and shoveling it. As much as last weeks light snow under-performed, today was an over-performer.

Solid lake enhanced NW flow FTW.

Nice to see early season LES.

9 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Classic turnpike band setting up on radar.

Yep, it's earned itself a special weather statement:

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
304 PM EST Tue Nov 12 2019

PAZ013-014-020-021-073-122215-
Lawrence-Butler-Beaver-Allegheny-Westmoreland-
Including the cities of New Castle, Ellwood City, Butler,
Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Monaca, Pittsburgh Metro Area,
Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington, Lower Burrell, Latrobe,
and Monessen
304 PM EST Tue Nov 12 2019

...BRIEF HEAVY SNOW AND LOW VISIBILITY IN LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND...

A band of moderate to heavy snow showers extends southeastward from
near New Castle to Pittsburgh, and then into western Westmoreland
County. The overall band will shift slowly eastward with time,
possibly affecting locations like Butler and Latrobe through 4
PM.

In this band, period of moderate to heavy snow will drop
visibility below one-half mile at times. A quick one half to one
inch of snow accumulation is possible, with wind gusts of 20 to 30
MPH also creating periods of blowing snow. Hazardous driving
conditions are expected in the heavier snow showers.

If you encounter snow-covered roads and low visibility while
driving, slow down and increase the distance between your car and
those that surround you.

$$

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Looks like this won’t come to fruition this year after all....

Not if we don't ever buck this current pattern. I'm hoping for atleast a white Christmas and one big storm. Other than that it could be 70s and I wouldn't care. 

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED Severe Thunderstorm Warning National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA 432 PM EST Sun Dec 1 2019 The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a * Severe Thunderstorm Warning for... Eastern Beaver County in western Pennsylvania... Southwestern Butler County in west central Pennsylvania... Northwestern Allegheny County in southwestern Pennsylvania... * Until 515 PM EST. * At 431 PM EST, severe thunderstorms were located along a line extending from New Brighton to near Leetsdale, moving northeast at 25 mph. HAZARD...Wind gusts to 60 mph and quarter-size hail. SOURCE...Radar. IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles. Damage to trees and power lines. * Locations impacted include... McCandless Township... Cranberry... Franklin Park... Aliquippa... Beaver Falls... Monaca... Hampton Township... Economy... Ambridge... Wexford... New Brighton... Beaver... This includes the following highways... Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 17 and 38. Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 71 and 93. Interstate 279 in Pennsylvania near mile marker 13. Interstate 376 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 34 and 49.

I didn't notice any wind to speak of, and the hail was more the size of BBs, but it certainly is a thunderstorm.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Looks like this won’t come to fruition this year after all....

Most of the forecasts I've seen are calling for snow in the middle and peak of winter, but the book-ends may be mild and undesirable for snow lovers.

If January comes and goes and we're still below average, only then will I get uncomfortable.  For now the lack of snow is merely mild disappointment.