• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Germanweenie eh?  Do you run the ICON out of your basement? :D

Haha yup.  It actually seems to perform quite well over in Europe.  Was in the Alps last winter during an epic 2week period with 15' of snow.  But snow events are very different compared to the US / East Coast.  More of a sustained/constant NW flow that pushes cold moisture against the alps for days and weeks at a time.  Gets really interesting with blockage/upslope ("Staueffekte"), sometimes some areas get 5' while 5 miles south it's nothing.  Soundings (upper level winds) tell you how far "in" the snow will make it.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Good first post. Welcome aboard.

Usually we just hand out weenies, but you're german so here's a frankfurter. :weenie:

:D I thought about it but was worried that most won't pick up on Germanfrankfurter.  Not sure it's a thing here, alongside the Wiener and Hamburger.  I grew up close to Frankfurt, so there's that.

Anyways, don't mean to derail/hijack this thread...back to being a silent observer.

Keep it up guys!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Germanweenie said:

:D I thought about it but was worried that most won't pick up on Germanfrankfurter.  Not sure it's a thing here, alongside the Wiener and Hamburger.  I grew up close to Frankfurt, so there's that.

Anyways, don't mean to derail/hijack this thread...back to being a silent observer.

Keep it up guys!

No, no ... you can stay - you seem like a cool dude.  Let's get rid of one of these other crapweasels though.  #hidrdews

4 hours ago, jbenedet said:

I know you’re being facetious here but I think many are confused...And this point is important enough to elaborate on...Forecasting is an art and an independent skill that can be developed. Some are much better at it than others. Dare I say there are many “professional meteorologists” out there who are terrible forecasters. A major contributor to this is atmospheric sci programs and the NWS are not filtering candidates based on forecasting skills/ability, but I digress....

Models are built based on scientific theory, but the inherent uncertainties within the models —chaos and complexity—require the art of forecasting to produce accurate —or at least better than consensus— forecasts. 

What a post. Cheers. Hear this a lot from some of the best Mets around, behind closed doors. It's nice to see some acknowledge it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Germanweenie said:

Keep it up guys!

Welcome to the forum. My Mom was born in Wiesbaden.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

idk...these setups can keep a pesky relatively warm shallow layer east of the high terrain with NW flow and slowly drying low levels. I'm leaning on the pessimistic side. Hope for flakes at the end. A coating or more is a bonus. I'll be happy up here if we get a coating.

Twas why we posted ,beware the warm tongue 2 days ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Welcome to the forum. My Mom was born in Wiesbaden.

Thanks!  Ha, I was born in Wiesbaden.  Medenbach (a small suburb) is where I grew up.  No snow to speak with, but I have (written) recordings of the daily weather from my youth

8 minutes ago, Germanweenie said:

Thanks!  Ha, I was born in Wiesbaden.  Medenbach (a small suburb) is where I grew up.  No snow to speak with, but I have (written) recordings of the daily weather from my 

My parents lived in Stuttgart during 1970's. Very beautiful, especially Munich, got to spend almost a month in Europe in 1990

23 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

My parents lived in Stuttgart during 1970's. Very beautiful, especially Munich, got to spend almost a month in Europe in 1990

Did you go into East Germany? I did in 1989 in West Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie. My uncle lived in Frankenhain/Berkatal right on the former BDR/DDR border.

Checkpoint Charlie 7/1/89

CheckpointCharlie.jpg

56 minutes ago, Germanweenie said:

Thanks!  Ha, I was born in Wiesbaden.  Medenbach (a small suburb) is where I grew up.  No snow to speak with, but I have (written) recordings of the daily weather from my youth

My Mom and uncle would tell me that snow in Wiesbaden in the 40's and 50's was a regular Wintertime occurance.

21 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Did you go into East Germany? I did in 1989 in West Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie. My uncle lived in Frankenhain/Berkatal right on the former BDR/DDR border.

Checkpoint Charlie 7/1/89

CheckpointCharlie.jpg

It’s a tourist trap now. This was taken this past August when my 15 year old son and I visited Germany

D7B2BB09-152F-4FC1-A798-831AE4434F50.jpeg