• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro hit us good this week. That worked out how?

I guess they’ll say that’s also a meltdown post 

Lol...when the trends were going bad yesterday afternoon..you said the trends were looking good.  

Ginx told you that the probs were heading north yesterday afternoon, and you argued they were getting better for SNE.  ?? 

You are off to a poor start.  Time to step up your game DIT.  

On 11/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

According to the gov’t. Not sure why you’re so angry. But it’s not called the GFS anymore 

Upgrade to the FV3Edit

On June 12, 2019, after several years of testing, NOAA upgraded the GFS with a new core and dynamic scaling that uses the finite volume method. The resulting model, being developed under the name finite-volume cubed-sphere model (FV3), inherited the GFS moniker, with the archaic GFS model continuing to be run until December 2019.[9][10] Initial testing of the FV3 showed promise, outperforming the Integrated Forecast System in terms of hurricane tracks during the 2017 hurricane season (the IFS had been the most accurate operational model in predicting the paths).[11]

FV3 is the core, GFS is the name. Still poop emoji.

• Haha 1

Nothing like having a second meltdown over someone else telling you already had one. Just to funny. 

I'll be happy if I see any flakes this week and will wait to see if we can cash in early next week. Would rather see the slopes get the goods this time of year anyways even if that means rain for SNE. 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We've been boiled slowly like a frog into being tricked that we don't notice that day 3-4 back in 2011 considerably worse than it is now. Hell, back in 2007 or 2008 we used to weenie tag people starting a thread for a threat that was 5 days out...now it's pretty rare that a threat makes it to even 4 days out without a thread. 

And as has been mention ad nauseam, the  graphics improvements in the past 5-7 years have been incredible...but that hurts people's perceptions IMHO. We look at pretty QPF maps and snow maps that have been resolved down to 5-10 sq km and it creates this false sense of accuracy when they shouldn't. We used to be more skeptical of QPF and that seemed to create more discussion on the model variables that scored higher like H5 and midlevels. We still discuss that but those maps always seem to go viral everywhere and force their way into the forefront of the discussions. I get it...they look nice and they have some utility, especially when the model uncertainty isn't high...it can highlight favored areas. But in setups (which are frequent) that there is more uncertainty or marginal temp profiles, they can be a distraction. 

Precision and accuracy.

Models are quite accurate, but they are rarely precise anymore. You aren't going to see run after run of the same solution given both the frequency of runs and model resolution. 

When your grid scale was 80 km, subtle shifts made little difference to the outcome. When you drill that down to 13 km and start focusing on QPF/snow maps you are going to see some big moves from haves to have nots. There is a reason why the best mets are using the forecast funnel approach (large scale to small, top down).

Like mid level magic. It isn't just a term we made up for the picnic tables, it's that modeling frequently overdoes QPF near the low center (with latent heat release) and underestimates forcing via deformation processes (in Canada that reads "DEE-formation PRO-sess-ees"). 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Where is Rays location, i honestly am still unsure after these past 5 years here...All i can gather is its somewhere remote, somewhere north and snowy, most likely N MA but not ruling out VT or NH either.

It took you five years to glance over under my avatar?

I moved about 12 mi due north last fall, from Wilmington to Methuen, MA. Not at all remote.

• Haha 1