• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Agreed. It is #2 . FV3 is dead last in all facets. Why do people still call it the GFS, ? Mets worth their stones do not look at it or use it. Yet on here, you’ll see posts about it and people thinking that it has any credence. That to me is mind boggling . 

Um because it's called the GFS and not the FV3?

NCEP, creators of the model, and pretty much every model site i use says GFS and not FV3.

8 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

According to who? If you're just going to throw out facts then back it up like i did.

According to the gov’t. Not sure why you’re so angry. But it’s not called the GFS anymore 

Upgrade to the FV3Edit

On June 12, 2019, after several years of testing, NOAA upgraded the GFS with a new core and dynamic scaling that uses the finite volume method. The resulting model, being developed under the name finite-volume cubed-sphere model (FV3), inherited the GFS moniker, with the archaic GFS model continuing to be run until December 2019.[9][10] Initial testing of the FV3 showed promise, outperforming the Integrated Forecast System in terms of hurricane tracks during the 2017 hurricane season (the IFS had been the most accurate operational model in predicting the paths).[11]

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

According to the gov’t. Not sure why you’re so angry. But it’s not called the GFS anymore 

Upgrade to the FV3Edit

On June 12, 2019, after several years of testing, NOAA upgraded the GFS with a new core and dynamic scaling that uses the finite volume method. The resulting model, being developed under the name finite-volume cubed-sphere model (FV3), inherited the GFS moniker, with the archaic GFS model continuing to be run until December 2019.[9][10] Initial testing of the FV3 showed promise, outperforming the Integrated Forecast System in terms of hurricane tracks during the 2017 hurricane season (the IFS had been the most accurate operational model in predicting the paths).[11]

I think this says they're still calling it the GFS, it's inherited the GFS moniker.

That almost reads like a Tip post.  :)

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Since I've been on the EPS train...

18z EPS Snowfall and Probs definitely backed off quite a bit from the robust 12z run.

Snowfall:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-total_snow_10to1-3300800.thumb.png.6db2add699310326493bf23881b2657e.png

Probability of 3"< snowfall:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-snow_ge_3-3300800.thumb.png.bd9f19a8f2d97b63cb84afb013e1280e.png

Congrats, Chris and Dave.

• Like 1

Just now, moneypitmike said:

Congrats, Chris and Dave.

To be honest I don't think the EPS snow probs jive that well with it's solution but it must be because of warm low levels to the south. 

It definitely looks warm to start, steadier and/or heavier precip would really help cool the surface in the vicinity of the front.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I guess maybe you missed this? It’s ok. 

being developed under the name finite-volume cubed-sphere model (FV3)

Really Kev,   It says afterward, right after how it’s being developed under the FV3, that it is inheriting the “GFS Moniker!!”

I mean please, just admit for once, that you’re WRONG!!  

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

According to the gov’t. Not sure why you’re so angry. But it’s not called the GFS anymore.

Upgrade to the FV3Edit

So, I am angry because i typed a single sentence with no explitives, no name calling, no exclamations, no nothing?

30 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Didn't miss that at all.....it then goes on to say they're calling it the GFS.

Reading comprehension, ftl.  :)

He needs to clear up with word "developed" and the word "moniker" apparently.

Either way this is a fruitless endeavor and does not contribute to the topic of thread. 

With that being said the hills of NW and NE CT are still in the game for a few inches of accumulating snow. It's beginning to look pretty bleak for the valleys and coastal CT. We still have a shot though, just need an obvious trend SE in tonights 00Z runs

I don’t believe models have any clarity till maybe tommorrow evening (given where energy / shortwavew are)

i would not anticipate accumulation over an inch even in Nashua at this point 

Killington to Wildcat is looking Good considering ML low tracks of stronger models at current times and areas south in N SNE  are certainly still in game we just need more time  (90 hours out is still a while ) w fast flow