• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

10 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Fast flow, N stream dependent...I bet a congrats Atlantic City is more likely than congrats Mt. Mansfield. 

Could honestly end up anywhere in a 300-500 mile wide band. It's an unmanned firehose look. But I agree the fast flow and limited time for amplification will make it tough to get too far north. But if that southern stream ejects a bit stronger, you could end up with a congrats Montreal and powderfreak easily. 

But the models are where you want them to be right now...either SNE hit or too suppressed. THat can still change. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wonder how pivotal (I think Brettjrob is still there?) is pulling off the free euro qpf?

It looks like ECMWF lowered licensing fees recently. Pivotal would also appear to be heading towards a subscription-based service based on some recent changes to the site. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One nice thing about this is that there is a bit of a scooter streak preceding this s/w, north of Maine. That helps to press the cold south. There is the unmanned firehose aspect...but it doesn't seem like a system digging towards the Gulf and the latent heat machine takes over and helps lift this into CT. I don't expect much this time of year, I'd be happy with rain ending as a coating of paste. It's refreshing to even entertain this type of system this early. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could honestly end up anywhere in a 300-500 mile wide band. It's an unmanned firehose look. But I agree the fast flow and limited time for amplification will make it tough to get too far north. But if that southern stream ejects a bit stronger, you could end up with a congrats Montreal and powderfreak easily. 

But the models are where you want them to be right now...either SNE hit or too suppressed. THat can still change. 

Just copy and paste this post all winter, pretty much covers all bases 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

This will be a congrats PF before we know it. :lol: 

The superstitions are out in full force.  

If it can’t get the two streams to interact there’s no way it gets up here.  

You do have to like it being either at your latitude or south...easier to come north than south seems to be the case in these?

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You do have to like it being either at your latitude or south...easier to come north than south seems to be the case in these?

It won’t take much at all to bring more of a taint or cold rain. I half kid, but it’s early season and it won’t take much, that’s all. I don’t have a feeling either way. I’d probably feel good interior and north of pike for now,  but it’s early in the game. 

The gfs refuses to budge. This should be interesting. 

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

EPS probability over 3 is highest for you

It won’t take much at all to bring more of a taint or cold rain. I half kid, but it’s early season and it won’t take much, that’s all. I don’t have a feeling either way. I’d probably feel good interior and north of pike for now,  but it’s early in the game.

Agreed. Could easily take a track that would guarantee snow in Jan and Feb but still be a cold rain in this early in November. Everything really needs to come together just right. We’ll see but expectations of big accumulations should be in check despite what models are showing.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Man pivotal.....they have a nice zoomed in sector for BOS. Can tell there are grid spacing issues as it tries to show mix into 128..but real nice to see.

I was about to pull the trigger on Maue’s site, but this may make me hold off for a bit.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just copy and paste this post all winter, pretty much covers all bases 

Well unless there's a good block. In those cases, you can rule out scenarios like ORH to TOL raining.

But this is fast flow with southern stream interaction being a key piece...even if not a full phase....but the system origin is southern stream and then the northern stream sort of takes it over on a euro scenario as a little southern streak ejects across Oklahoma and Arkansas and the northern stream gobbles it up. 

To get this more north than the euro, two things can do it:

1. Northern stream digs even further southwest 

2. Southern stream ejects a lot more energy quicker. 

Or some combo of the two.