• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

IDK what to tell ya Ant. They totally killed it. As bad as it was before there was use knowing its bias. Its so all over the place there is no bias its just wrong, warm, cold , rain, dry and everything else between. 

It is still the same gfs model. I dont see any improvements.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The difference in whether this event ends up being shreaded rad/2"er above a wiper annoyance cold showers, versus a more cohesive cyclogenesis, is going to come down to whether the trough over the Dakotas can start to re-orient its self into more of a neutral tilt by the time the mid levels are nearing the Lakes. If so, we'll have a 998 to 1002 mb type close surface reflection somewhere near SW PA with semblance of a new center itching to implode over S NJ.  

This could be somewhere in between that, or if the native speed saturation in the flow claims another S/W soldier we'll see instead the southern arc of the trough start to absorb nearing the Lakes as it slopes more positive ...and that lead surface reflection is a blown up ravioli with associated mix and snow shrapnels racing through the OV/NE...

Obviously, folks want the former solution. 

The Euro's not quite into it's wheel house being that this is D5 here... However, in this case we get a cheat insight because the way this thing is situated in the flow means that it IS in the Euro wheel house up there near the Dakotas, where the trough has a bit of a robuster look and that makes for an easier extrapolation. Certainly clearer so than having to wait for the governing mechanics to at last over B.C. 

So I'm thinking more along the more cohesive ravioli in this case - which, I'm aware that is going to come across as schnitzely, but I can assure you, no buns are necessary.  This thing is in the Euro's wheel house over the D's, which in some cases, fast flow ftw!

Obviously too early to discuss details

Pretty detailed post though.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

We need some different rules for November. 2012 had 6"+ in the interior on Nov 7 and it ended up a huge winter. We had other years too with big early/mid Nov snows like 2004, 1987, and 1986 that were good winters too. 

Maybe "if the storm gives over 8" and it occurs on a Friday and happens within 3 days of the ides of November" then it will be a ratter winter. 

Didn't November of 1995 have a big snowfall in New England?

6 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Didn't November of 1995 have a big snowfall in New England?

Off the top of my head I recall an event later in the month that seemed to get the ball rolling into winter. It was before sunrise and resulted in school delays/cancellations. I wanna say there was a widespread 2-5".

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Off the top of my head I recall an event later in the month that seemed to get the ball rolling into winter. It was before sunrise and resulted in school delays/cancellations. I wanna say there was a widespread 2-5".

I was in sixth grade. I don't think I had a full week of school that winter. It was amazing.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

We need some different rules for November. 2012 had 6"+ in the interior on Nov 7 and it ended up a huge winter. We had other years too with big early/mid Nov snows like 2004, 1987, and 1986 that were good winters too. 

Maybe "if the storm gives over 8" and it occurs on a Friday and happens within 3 days of the ides of November" then it will be a ratter winter. 

Early Nov 2004 or 2005 gave us a couple inches in NE CT

16 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I was in sixth grade. I don't think I had a full week of school that winter. It was amazing.

Lots of snow that Winter, snow from November into May. I lived in Queens, NY at that time. NYC broke it's snowfall record that season.

I have video of the aftermath of the 1/96 blizzard. I've got to transfer it to digital and post it on YouTube.

• Like 2

Always nice to see ski season references in the AFD.  BTV knows even if it doesn’t snow we can all enjoy some good snowmaking.

From NWS BTV....

"There is disagreement on how to handle this feature beyond Thursday. The GFS keeps the fledgling system weak and shunted to the south due to strong high pressure building in the Northern Plains. This prevents it from interacting with a northern stream ...    

The CMC/EC depicts a stronger system, and the northern stream shortwave is slow enough to support additional development...

The North Country would be placed in the northern fringes of the low`s precipitation shield, and we would be looking at widespread light snow.

Timing of shortwave interactions tends to be difficult for medium range forecasts. So this forecast will be refined going forward. 

If nothing else, the coldest air of the season will follow this system late next week, which should be helpful for snowmaking operations."

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yup you knew when tip came back giving analysis on the Icon that the GFS is useless.

Lol exactly my thought too.

What a POS that GFS is...that’s atrocious that our country in 2020 can’t produce a somewhat reliable and decent numerical model for meteorological purposes.   Totally Embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Euro is a miss for the 0Z run.

Actually, as nice as it would be to have our first flakes/snow event of the season, I would also be fine if it doesn’t work out too...don’t need the roads getting all slopped up in early November. I hate the chemicals they treat the roads with and what it does to our vehicles.  

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Eps a little flat at 18z. I think it also shows you that’s it’s a bit of a needle threader too. Not a surprise in the early season. Regardless, still early either way. 

I'd like to congratulate Scott for the season's first use of 'threading the needle'.

A great example of the value of having this thread.  Great practice for later on.