Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2019

George BM

12 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

So basically HM has been sounding the alarms that winter is coming early December not sure that means snow or not but I'm riding his train until it hits the parked dump truck on the tracks

And said dump truck is full of snow, so the train hits it and snow goes everywhere!

12 minutes ago, mattie g said:

No prediction. They were a actually here! :lol:

Sad thing is that three of them died from flying into our front window (which isn’t huge or anything). Wife said that dozens hit it. The dangers of migration, I suppose.

We all saw you with a 09-10 insinuation.

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, mappy said:

methinks some forgot to read the guidelines. 

Mappy,

You are assuming everyone here can read...   Now, think about that...    (please read on if you dare)

The analogy is like the flight safety card in the seat back of the Pakistani Airlines flight I took way back in the 90's (I was sitting in an emergency exit aisle).  The card said, "If you can't read this card please notify a cabin attendant".  (again, think about that - I'm not making this up)  Thinking to myself, if you can't read, how the h*ll will you know to notify a cabin attendant?  It said the same thing in about 6 languages - I speak German, and the translated message said the same thing in German.  So they really went out of their way to get it wrong in multiple languages.  (and mind you, Pakistan and India both had nuclear weapons then and now - and I lived in India at the time). 

Unable to avoid the temptation, I pushed the overhead light for the cabin attendant.  She came to see what was wrong.  I asked if the card was a joke and she asked why?  I explained the situation and she looked at me perplexed and asked if I wanted to move to a non-emergency aisle seat.  I laughed said no and asked her to get the purser.  

The purser came and I asked the same thing about the card.  At first she gave me the same perplexed look as the first attendant.  Then all of a sudden, it hit her, as if the load of the entire PIA organization was on her shoulders.  She got so embarrassed her eyes welled up.  She sheepishly said thank you and that she would bring this unfortunate oversight to the attention of her superiors.

The purser went back up to the front of the cabin and had a conference with the rest of the attendants and the captain.  Pretty soon they were all laughing with a muted chuckle in an ill-fated attempt to downplay the hilarity of the moment.  Everyone else on the flight was wondering what was going on except them and me.  

Wonder if they ever did reprint the safety cards?  Which brings us back to the quandary here...  If only everyone here could read...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You have lived quite a life @RDM

:lol: 

Well shucks...  I sure hope it ain't over with yet.     But thank you.  Been fortunate to have some interesting experiences and witness some of the most stark examples of weather Mother Nature can muster.  I hope this coming winter brings us all a spectacle to remember.  We are definitely due!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BristowWx said:

If it wasn’t for the -NAO the East would burst into flames with that h5 look.. 

11 hours ago, BristowWx said:

I’m a believer now.  Remove that feature with that -PNA depicted on 18z at h5 and we could cook our turkey on the sidewalk.  

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

I still see the closed contour high near Greenland[...]...but point well taken how long does it last because with that -PNA it just serves to prevent a lava flow in the east...that's what those extreme red colors look like to me on the temp anomaly maps...molten lava

OK. We get it.

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The most fun thing is we can go from a great look coming in 10-15 days and then the great look (which hasn’t even happened yet) showing signs of breaking down less that 12 hours later.

Its all pretty comical.

Let's see what today brings

28 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The most fun thing is we can go from a great look coming in 10-15 days and then the great look (which hasn’t even happened yet) showing signs of breaking down less that 12 hours later.

Its all pretty comical.

I guess that's one thing that keeps me away for periods of time. I like it in here in summer because while people b*tch about big heat, there's really no expectation of weather that would get the juices flowing like snowstorms do, and thus there's no freaking the F out over every. single. model. run. Get into winter and it can all be too much. It's just a drag, and it takes some of the joy away from observing the weather.

One thing I have never understood about the rending of garments etc about winter long range and temp discussion is...the average highs and lows - the AVERAGE highs and lows - are not really all that cold. Kinda warm is sorta the default state for our part of the mid-atlantic. A January 6 that is 43 for a high and 29 for a low - that's pretty much average.

AND, in a related thought, it still does snow here most years. Sometimes a lot. Even with the average days being not all that cold, relatively. 2009/10 was not all that cold - but still had the 3 mega-snows. We don't need blue balls of death cold as it were, centered over Laurel, to snow here.

15 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I guess that's one thing that keeps me away for periods of time. I like it in here in summer because while people b*tch about big heat, there's really no expectation of weather that would get the juices flowing like snowstorms do, and thus there's no freaking the F out over every. single. model. run. Get into winter and it can all be too much. It's just a drag, and it takes some of the joy away from observing the weather.

Speaking of every model run, 0z euro gave us snow D9 and nobody even mentioned it!!?!

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic