Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter 2019

George BM

3 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Its inclusionism. This is our Safe Place. Even though some of us are no longer located in the sub-forum area, we may Identify as a Mid Atlantic member. 

i dunno man, you left the area. You know how we roll around here ;) 

glad you got to see some snow! 

43 minutes ago, mappy said:

wasn't that because you called him out for snow ending too soon or something silly during the Jan blizzard? 

Yup. He kept doubling down on "not that bad"  and going to radar and saying that it would top out around 8-12 inches as I recall. Even as it was exploding. He didn't like my responses to those tweets (apparently).

16 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yup. He kept doubling down on "not that bad"  and going to radar and saying that it would top out around 8-12 inches as I recall. Even as it was exploding. He didn't like my responses to those tweets (apparently).

lol thats what i thought. good stuff. 

I know others on here have become the default "weather nerd" for their workplaces - here is one that amuses me - when the co-workers somehow get charged up for weather events that are non-events because of social media or TV or what the heck ever and then confront you about it?

I just got the "hey weather guy, what happened to the storm" challenge question....

Internal sigh, counts to three, "you never heard ME tell you it was gonna snow, did you?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I know others on here have become the default "weather nerd" for their workplaces - here is one that amuses me - when the co-workers somehow get charged up for weather events that are non-events because of social media or TV or what the heck ever and then confront you about it?

I just got the "hey weather guy, what happened to the storm" challenge question....

Internal sigh, counts to three, "you never heard ME tell you it was gonna snow, did you?"

if it makes you feel better, i had a coworker call and ask me to define twilight and when it shows up. apparently being the office weather nerd means i also must explain sunrise/sunsets and how light refracts across the earth. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, mappy said:

if it makes you feel better, i had a coworker call and ask me to define twilight and when it shows up. apparently being the office weather nerd means i also must explain sunrise/sunsets and how light refracts across the earth. 

You're a better person than I am.  I would have suggested reading the books and watching the movies.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mappy said:

Ha!  For some reason this reminds me of something I read years ago.  The basic story was that this one guy who was working at some factory while on summer break from "University" (he was British, yes).  Apparently he was working with someone who was not very bright and kind of obnoxious, and was having trouble loosening one of these large bolts from a nut.  The "university" guy kindly offered advice to heat it so that the nut would expand and break free more easily.  The "not very bright" guy was a bit put off and said "Oh, so things get bigger when they get hotter, eh??"  To which "university" responded sarcastically, "Yeah, that's why the days are longer in summer than they are in winter"...and Mr. "not very bright's" face looked puzzled for a moment, then cleared as he apparently bought it!!

22 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

How long should I microwave a 25 lb turkey for Thanksgiving? Asking for a friend.

First, find a big enough microwave. Second, place turkey in microwave safe dish, season to taste. Put 7 sticks of butter in the bottom of the dish. Next, place dish with your turkey into the microwave for 500 minutes, on 25% power. Once time is up, rotate π/6 radians then cook again for 500 minutes. Continue with this until you’ve rotated the turkey a full 2π radians, and then your turkey is complete... Last step, beg your power company to lower the cost of your power bill, as running the microwave for 6000 minutes cannot be cheap.

Gravy: Add 1 stick of butter to a bowl, stir in 1 stick of butter with 1 stick of butter.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

for the record:

According to Butterball:

1. You must first thaw the turkey (never put a frozen turkey in the microwave).
  2. Then place the turkey breast side down on a microwave-safe dish or plate (don't put it in aluminum). 
  3. First, microwave it for 4 minutes per pound on full power to get the cooking process started. After the initial cook time, the rest of the cooking needs to be on a lower power setting. 
  4. Remove the drippings and baste the partially-cooked turkey so it begins to get that golden-brown skin. 
  5. Flip the turkey over and cook it at 50 percent power for 8 minutes per pound. Stop cooking every 18 minutes to check the turkey's temperature with a meat thermometer and baste it with the natural juices or a browning sauce. 
  6. When the turkey reaches a temperature of 180 to 185 degrees in the thigh and 170 to 175 degrees in the breast it is ready and safe to eat. 
  7. Baste the turkey once more before serving. 

(Though 5 1/2 minutes @ 150 will kill somenella and make for a much better turkey breast... when smoking that is when I pull them)

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Place in microwave, set time to infinity, when smoke starts coming out of microwave, it is done.

This brought back memories of college. Tried to cook a whole chicken in the dorms microwave. Doesn't work too well. Freaking thing exploded. Scared the hell out of some of my dorm mates who happened to be near by. Chicken was splattered all over the place, even had a wing hanging down from the ceiling of the microwave. But me being on a limited college budget ate it anyway. At least the pieces that were still somewhat recognizable.

• Haha 5

Beware the positive PDO. It will shunt very frigid air into the US. It also has a tendency to cause Texas and the Eastern US, Mid Atlantic Region inclusive, to experience much more precip than is normal. These anomalies will help bring about a much colder and very much snowier winter in the Mid Atlantic, and I suspect, possibly into the southern plains at times. Washington DC will be obliterated by ridiculously frigid air and snow. Nor'easters loaded with high wind and torrential snow will be common thru this winter! Some of these nor'easters will devastate major metros up and down the Eastern Seaboard with strong winds and a ton of fresh snows, to be followed up by incredibly frigid airmasses. Strong cold advection will blow much of the fresh snow around, creating monster drifts. Many of you in the Washington DC Metropolitan Region will be utterly WEARY of shoveling snow! You will cry for the Jebman to come back and dig you all out!

This past arctic front was VERY COLD in south Texas where I reside. Today we only managed low 40s for highs. This, at a time when 71 degrees is normal down here! Tonight we will dip possibly to the low 20s! This, at a time when we should hit the low 50s for lows! Last night it got so damned cold that the rain changed to sleet and freezing rain and elevated surfaces became coated with an eighth of an inch of fresh ice! I damn near smashed up my lower back trying to obtain a rainfall reading last night! It was dark and I never saw the ice! Wind chills were brutal, in the single digits at times! That north wind gusted to 45 mph at times!

Trust me, it was no time for a jebwalk. I tried. It was very, very cold and stuff was breaking off trees and flying around in the strong gusts.

This is going to be a very severe, extremely cold and very snowy winter, all over the US. The Mid Atlantic is going to be particularly hard hit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fourseasons said:

You're a better person than I am.  I would have suggested reading the books and watching the movies.

I got a good laugh out of this. :lol:

12 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Ha!  For some reason this reminds me of something I read years ago.  The basic story was that this one guy who was working at some factory while on summer break from "University" (he was British, yes).  Apparently he was working with someone who was not very bright and kind of obnoxious, and was having trouble loosening one of these large bolts from a nut.  The "university" guy kindly offered advice to heat it so that the nut would expand and break free more easily.  The "not very bright" guy was a bit put off and said "Oh, so things get bigger when they get hotter, eh??"  To which "university" responded sarcastically, "Yeah, that's why the days are longer in summer than they are in winter"...and Mr. "not very bright's" face looked puzzled for a moment, then cleared as he apparently bought it!!

Hahahahahaha good stuff. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

This brought back memories of college. Tried to cook a whole chicken in the dorms microwave. Doesn't work too well. Freaking thing exploded. Scared the hell out of some of my dorm mates who happened to be near by. Chicken was splattered all over the place, even had a wing hanging down from the ceiling of the microwave. But me being on a limited college budget ate it anyway. At least the pieces that were still somewhat recognizable.

OMG I just spit out my tea reading this!!! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

How long should I microwave a 25 lb turkey for Thanksgiving? Asking for a friend.

11 hours ago, Rhino16 said:

First, find a big enough microwave. Second, place turkey in microwave safe dish, season to taste. Put 7 sticks of butter in the bottom of the dish. Next, place dish with your turkey into the microwave for 500 minutes, on 25% power. Once time is up, rotate π/6 radians then cook again for 500 minutes. Continue with this until you’ve rotated the turkey a full 2π radians, and then your turkey is complete... Last step, beg your power company to lower the cost of your power bill, as running the microwave for 6000 minutes cannot be cheap.

Gravy: Add 1 stick of butter to a bowl, stir in 1 stick of butter with 1 stick of butter.

Why would you do all that when you can make a Flamin' Hot Cheetos Turkey

turkey.jpg

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic