Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2019

George BM

2 hours ago, George BM said:

There is something magical about December 5th snow indeed. The December 5th, 2002 event was the first real snow event I have vivid memory of. I just remember opening my window blinds in my apartment in Falls Church as a six-year old looking at this mysterious, bright, radiant, white landscape. It was surreal... almost like I'd been teleported to a foreign planet. Thus further sparking my interest in the wintery aspects of weather. Of course, after that we would see 4 more "first snow on December 5th events" within the following seven years.

I have to agree about the December 5th snow, which also happens to be my birthday.  In the early 2000's whilst at elementary school/middle school, it always would seem to snow around that time.  That got me interested and hooked into winter weather.  I distinctly remember that those snows were more on the wintry mix side.  A lot of 4-5 inch crunchy/icy snows.  After those years, I always anticipated more of those early December snows, but it rarely if ever occurred.  Of course as a child the added bonus was a day off of school :P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

The PV should shatter early on and doom every month except for perhaps Late February/Early March before the sun angle moderates the flow. These are my official thoughts at the moment. Don't get depressed I am just one guy making a prediction but I feel it's strongly backed by the science and climate mode.

As a disclaimer. The PV may not shatter but instead end up on the Siberian side. We all know how that works out for us.

It's been a long time since that happened. In a strange twist it may be worse for us versus the PV going away completely due to the quasi resonance ridge pumping over the SE Conus.

Only thing shattered here is your grasp on reality 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

BAE5EFE8-21D9-45D0-BB20-90EFCA3BFB3A.jpeg.4e79ee1a9d68bb5284125f51dd036b01.jpeg

Great pic PSU.  I'm guessing that really ruined someone's day.  Myself, couldn't help but laughing out loud when I saw it.  Can just hear the insurance adjuster now.  "You have a what?  A broken hot dog bun?"  How would they ever process the claim without cracking up?  And what about the person the hot dog ran into???  How would THEY explain it?  You got hit by a what???

As for all these comments about getting old at "20".  Givemeabreak....  I'll be 58 in a month.  Can't even remember what it was like when I was 20, other than the vivid memory of the blizzard of 78 in Ohio when I was 17.  

• Weenie 1

39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha. I can’t remember who it was...it might have been you...who once told me that life is short and youth is shorter. I took that advice to heart.

We have a fair amount of age diversity on the board. I like it. 

007, Regret I can't claim that quote, but I sure do agree with it.  Retired from 30 years of federal service 4 years ago.  Spent nearly half my career overseas in 5 different countries having the good fortune to experience some of the most dramatic forms of weather mother nature can muster.  Can't believe how fast the 30 year year career went, let alone the last 4.  

I do have a philosophy about time....   When we are 10 years old, a year is 10% of our life (at 10, we could solve every problem imaginable in an hour), at 20,,, a year is 5%,,, at 50, a year is 2% etc.  The older we get, the less each year means in the big picture.  Thus, I can't even believe we're just a few weeks from Thanksgiving and Home Depot has Christmas decorations out already.  Where does the time go?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stormpc said:

The last 2 days were by far the best and funniest days on this regional board in a long time. The maniacs are out and active. Some people are so far gone it's scary we live amongst them. I love this place. Lurkerboy, Vice, Maestro etc. Just to name a few. 

:hurrbear: Wait, what did I do? Yeah I may have overreacted a little bit to PSU's post, but outside of that...thought I'd been doing pretty good!

1 hour ago, RDM said:

007, Regret I can't claim that quote, but I sure do agree with it.  Retired from 30 years of federal service 4 years ago.  Spent nearly half my career overseas in 5 different countries having the good fortune to experience some of the most dramatic forms of weather mother nature can muster.  Can't believe how fast the 30 year year career went, let alone the last 4.  

I do have a philosophy about time....   When we are 10 years old, a year is 10% of our life (at 10, we could solve every problem imaginable in an hour), at 20,,, a year is 5%,,, at 50, a year is 2% etc.  The older we get, the less each year means in the big picture.  Thus, I can't even believe we're just a few weeks from Thanksgiving and Home Depot has Christmas decorations out already.  Where does the time go?

Were you ever able to find that VHS recording that you and/or one of your friends took of the 18"+/hr snowfall rates on the glacier?

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Were you ever able to find that VHS recording that you and/or one of your friends took of the 18"+/hr snowfall rates on the glacier?

Hi George - Thanks for the reminder.  I did some poking around in my archives of VHS-C tapes and couldn't find it.  Then got side tracked.  That was the summer trip to Hintertux, Austria in 89 or 90.  What an event - short lived, but so intense!  Still remember the very unsettling feeling of having total vertigo and not realizing I was falling over until my head hit the slope.  You hear people talk of getting vertigo and think, yea - uh huh - not me, or I used to think so.  That experienced helped me understand the actuality of vertigo and my own mortality.  

Don't recall if I mentioned before I was a avid tele-mark skier back then.  Did a lot of back-country in the Alps, with skins, beacons etc and encountered some pretty intense snowfalls.  But nothing anywhere ever came close to that squall.  Even the intense snowfalls on the windward side of the Japanese Alps did not compare in intensity - and they get a ton of snow there.  Search on Yahoo for "Zao Snow Monsters" - the pictures that show up are the wind swept snow encrusted tops of pine trees - they get that much snow and it's excellent quality.  

I'll renew my search for the squall video and see if I can find it.  Once I do, I still need to finagle a way to get it converted from analog VHS-C to digital.  Thanks again for the memory jog.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Watching a wizards game isn't the same anymore without Buchantz . When they got rid of Phil Chenier it was bad enough.

It's difficult to watch just about any NBA game anymore.  The "it's all about me syndrome" is nauseating.  On half the plays the player's reaction would make you think they just made the greatest play in the history of sports.  Defense is nearly nonexistent in many games until the post-season.  The pecking order of who gets by with violating the fundamentals is atrocious - seeing LJ take 6 or 7 steps and not get called for traveling, the obvious carry on many cross-overs, the "Euro Step" - it's so sad to what the game has become compared to what it was in the 80's and early 90's.  Then there's the subculture of stats, bonuses, ball time etc constantly lurking in the dark shadows.  It's muted the fun factor of fundamental athletic competition.  It's no wonder attendance and tv ratings have plummeted.  If they really played a full game flat out and as a team on both ends of the court, it may be worth watching again.   

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic