Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2019

George BM

• H2O pinned this topic
4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I've seen widespread severe twice in the 41 years of my life in this area. It happens less the 25" snowstorms. 

Just me being Curious George here...

Other than the June 29, 2012 derecho (we all know that that's one of the two events you're referring to) what was the other widespread severe event in your 41 years here?

46 minutes ago, George BM said:

Just me being Curious George here...

Other than the June 29, 2012 derecho (we all know that that's one of the two events you're referring to) what was the other widespread severe event in your 41 years here?

Honestly I can't even remember the year. It was a line of storms that I remember causing lots of tree damage from AA county to where my aunt lived in PG county. It may of not even been widespread. So I really only remember one solid event. We all know what that was. That was probably a 75 year event. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

In the next five years - who gets closer to the promised land - the Wizards or the Snyders?

Skins will never come close to a championship as long as Snyder is in charge. Beal is probably gone by next year, but at least the Wizards will suck enough to have decent draft capital. 

13 hours ago, Weather Will said:

Biggest Metro snow in my lifetime was Veterans Day, November 11, 1987.  About a foot fell in thundersnow in less than 6 hours.  A 20 minute drive from University of Maryland, College Park to Greenbelt took me 4 hours with cars abandoned everywhere.  No one predicted it!  I always start tracking around this date.

Remember that snow very well.  Was in downtown DC when it hit taking some training for work.  Rode into work that morning with a friend from Woodbridge  who had an Isuzu Tooper.  We put our snow skiing gear and my logging chain in his Trooper that morning before heading to work (sheer luck on throwing in the chain - that part comes later).  It started snowing between 9 and 10 and by 11 the government decided to closed at noon.  The chaos gripped the area very rapidly as it was a heavy wet snow that was very slick.  Remember the big flakes that never let up.  Instead of heading straight home, we helped a couple cars get out of the hilly parking lot at the compound on the Naval Observatory grounds across from the main State Dept Building on 23rd street.  That delay cost us big time...

Heard the reports about 395 being a parking lot, so we headed down the Mt Vernon Pkwy through Old Town.  Found out later on the news there were over 1600 car abandoned around the roads just in the vicinity of the Pentagon - the news that night showed women in heels and men in wingtips trying to walk down Shirley Hwy.  With all the abandoned cars the plows could not do their thing, although the plows were very late to the game anyway.  That storm is one of the reasons why VDOT, MDOT and DCDOT send out the plows early now with the slightest hint of anything.  

It was slow heading South on the Pkwy through Old Town, but moving until we approached Mt Vernon.  A couple of BIG pines had fallen across the Pkwy completely blocking both directions of travel.  We put on our gear and commandeered people to pile inside, on top of, and hanging off the doors of his Trooper.   They were literally hanging on the 4 open doors and sitting on the roof and hood to maximize the body count.  At one point we had over 15 people on the trooper and the extra weight did it.  We were able to use the logging chain to pull near the top of the trees and slide them around enough to open up one lane of travel in both directions.  People where hooting and hollering and honking horns like crazy when we got the Pkwy open.  Clearing the pkwy was alone an amazing experience I'll never forget, let alone the rest of the day's experience. 

Went through Ft. Belvoir only to sit in traffic stalled on Rt 1 southbound.  Got turned around, went through Ft. Belvoir again and took Backlick Road over to I-95 and headed south.  95 south was crawling, but at least moving.  Got to the bridge overpass where Pohick Road crossed 95 and my friend let me out - while still driving on 95.  Yea, I know, pedestrians are not allowed on the interstate byways - at that point nobody gave a F...    I climbed up the embankment, over a fence and walked the last 2 miles home on Pohick.  As I crossed walked across the Pohick road bridge I looked back down on I-95, and there were half a dozen people following my tracks up the embankment from 95 to Pohick road.  Guess they picked up on the idea.  I had on my warm Gortex ski jacket and snowmobile boots - they had on dresses, suits and business attire.  It was a pretty dire situation for many. 

From the time we departed the compound on 23rd street until I arrived home that evening was over 6 hours.  That storm caught everyone by surprise including all of the big 3 network forecasters in the DC TV market.  None of them called for anything more than flurries.  The Weather Channel that morning said we could get a few inches, which is what prompted my friend and I to throw our gear in the Trooper that morning.  The Weather Channel was VERY difference in the 80's and in a good way - you could actually stand to watch it back then.  Never forget that event.  Brought the DC Metro area to its knees...  

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic