Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Pretty good agreement between the EPS and GEFS on a flip to +NAO and +AO in early December. The only difference is that the GEFS seems to get there a few days earlier. But both models eventually have a similar look. This has been has been a common theme since December 2011.

35BE1920-2C5F-474C-984E-3035D68D3763.thumb.png.6f108917d406e0223e7126b0cb10ddf2.png

6425B936-EDB5-4E21-8884-0A8F0FE6E091.thumb.png.62c402ee280a823903bf11c7c1ef6ce8.png

Out of curiosity, was 2013 2014 a positive AO NAO year, with all our success based on an east based negative EPO? Not suggesting same for this year but could the EPO save us again to some extent? The EPS above looks a little better in that regard.

33 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Out of curiosity, was 2013 2014 a positive AO NAO year, with all our success based on an east based negative EPO? Not suggesting same for this year but could the EPO save us again to some extent? The EPS above looks a little better in that regard.

We had our moderate winter -EPO blocking intervals from 15-16 to 18-19. But nothing rivaling the extreme -EPO blocking in 13-14 and 14-15. That was the last time we had cold winters here. Seems like our strongest -EPO episodes  since then have come in November. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trends definitely are not looking good for the cold- and snow-lovers amongst us.  The trauma from last year is still raw and, so far, this year bears an uncanny resemblance.

Last year, I “closed the shades” after the first few days of December and never opened them back up.  If the AO catapults to +4 or +5 in December, that’s going to be a pretty steep climb out of craptasm.  At that point, we’d be banking on a SSWE which, as we saw last year, can fail to deliver the goods anyway (TBH, I feel like once the conversation focused on this, it’s often a pretty good indicator that we are toast).

Hoping things turn around but, at this point, it’s hard to go against continuity of these repeating patterns.....

36 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

mainly NYC north and east but interesting nonetheless...still 7 days away though

I think this will be a significant storm with a good sign being the massive change in the teleconnections following it. 

I don't see why it wouldn't keep trending south if the 50/50 low is as strong as depicted. Last December we actually got screwed by a system that was too far south, will a south trend repeat itself?

Afterwards we should enter an extended warm-up as AO & NAO soar. The -EPO could keep us on the colder side first 1/3 of December though. 

January could surprise us this year, it's sort of been the neutral month this decade with a mixed bag of events.

February has been terrible post 14/15 and of course there's always March to the rescue with the massive late season blocking that screws our early spring weather.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Please!!!

FA17BF62-38FC-4086-B840-0E33A1D853F3.png

The early Cobb Method snow outlook for this is  2.4" Rain  and 5.0"  Snow      Looks too complicated to actually happen as indicated.      I would bet on all Snow or more likely all Rain, some slush.

5 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Maybe but these can change in an instance.   Long range still looks good.

Even prior to today’s charts showing that spike with the apparent immediate drop back down HM has been saying for about a week on Twitter he felt the AO rise was going to be brief and then go right back to negative.  Today’s ensembles start showing that idea but still too far out to know 

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Even prior to today’s charts showing that spike with the apparent immediate drop back down HM has been saying for about a week on Twitter he felt the AO rise was going to be brief and then go right back to negative.  Today’s ensembles start showing that idea but still too far out to know 

Yes I read that also plus guidance looks like it wants to develop a negative EPO positive PNA in the post day 10. I read a few pages back were  Don Sutherland said the PNA has more correlation to snowfall in the Northeast then the Nao or AO in december. Anyway guidance is all over the place as is to be expected as we head towards winter and the changing wavelength. One thing is clear is that the last month or so our weather has looked nothing like the euro weeklies or any monthly guidance had advertised. maybe we'll be in for a pleasant surprise this year

1 minute ago, binbisso said:

Yes I read that also plus guidance looks like it wants to develop a negative EPO positive PNA in the post day 10. I read a few pages back were  Don Sutherland said the PNA has more correlation to snowfall in the Northeast then the Nao or AO in december. Anyway guidance is all over the place as is to be expected as we head towards winter and the changing wavelength. One thing is clear is that the last month or so our weather has looked nothing like the euro weeklies or any monthly guidance had advertised. maybe we'll be in for a pleasant surprise this year

The AO has a better correlation in December than the NAO but we did have one fairly -AO December recently (maybe 2012) where for several reasons we ended up torching despite the -AO 

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The AO has a better correlation in December than the NAO but we did have one fairly -AO December recently (maybe 2012) where for several reasons we ended up torching despite the -AO 

Dec 2012, 2001, 1996 ...there are more bad Decembers with a neg ao than good Decembers with a pos ao...

6 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

I’ll take flurries at this point something to look at non the less after this brutal day of putting my dog down:(

I know how you feel, so sorry for the loss of your furry family member.  Hope you get some of that snow to lift your spirits.

• Like 2