Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The official depth for measuring soil temps is 4" I think. This is a good idea, if it works I could see doing the same thing.

That 15* drop in Brewster confirms my suspicions. It's significantly more uncomfortable than it was early this morning.

You can see the soil temps at various depths at Brewster here too: http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#network=nysm&stid=brew

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

The official depth for measuring soil temps is 4" I think. This is a good idea, if it works I could see doing the same thing.

I wasn't sure how deep to go, but I believe its about 6" down. That is reading at 50, but it might be off by a bit since it was a cheap thermometer

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The Euro had 5-6”. But we are in an era of overperforming snowstorms when you are in the jackpot zone. The North American snow extent is right near the top as of the 11th for the period of record.

2890F3BA-47B4-4239-9C73-F2000E4C7108.png.df9b2c738d2f85674a2050e539424e9b.png

This cant really explain much given how last winter were in the same place and the winter basically sucked between Nov 20 and March 1

5 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

This cant really explain much given how last winter were in the same place and the winter basically sucked between Nov 20 and March 1

It shows how much snow extent there is at any given time. It is not meant to be a predictive tool. Right now we are near the top just as we were last November. It’s a reflection of the current record cold and snowy November regime.

11 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

Looks like NJ and possibly NYC will see it's first flakes after all today around the 1pm hour as precipitation back builds a bit to our southwest

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes very likely now with things quickly cooling below 0C aloft with still a moist layer present.

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Still just a cold rain on the island. Looks like we aren’t going to get a squall type burst with the arctic front but some lingering moisture snows. Obviously the warm ground and weak rates aren’t going to cut it for accumulations. 

yeah some models show a coating, but agree-light rates and it was in the 50's and 60's last 2 days and temps in the mid to upper 30's today....unlikely to see anything accumulate

14 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

It’s flurries and the column is drying out as we downslope, this is Not an anafront setup as stated many times, down by DC and VA the jet is more supportive of back building 

guess it's time to block you again. all the precip is behind the front, which is literally the very definition of anafrontal. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2