• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

The next 8 days are averaging 38degs., or about 8degs. BN.

Month to date is  -3.3[47.4].         Should be near  -5.3[43.4] by the 20th.       (used 57/25 for today)

I, too, reached 60* yesterday.

57* here at 6am.   57* with drizzle at 7am.   54* with drizzle at 8am.     44*, breezy at 9am., getting there.   41* by 11am.     39* at Noon.

Models are ooSnow and we are ooLuck.  Next two weeks could be a borefest winterwise.

CFSv2 is near Normal+ for second halve of month.    Does show large upper low over GL/Ohio at month's end.    Maybe that will tickle us some.

At 6:35 am, the first showers associated with an approaching Arctic cold front were just west of Newark and Yonkers, NY. Showers had already moved into such cities as Philadelphia and Newburgh.

Following the frontal passage, tomorrow morning will see widespread record cold readings in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas.

As a result, by November 15, New York City will likely have a mean temperature near 44.5°. That would be the coldest first half of November since 1976 when the mean temperature was 42.1°.

Yesterday, record low temperatures were set in among the following cities:

Chicago: 13° (old record: 15°, 1950)
Milwaukee: 14° (old record: 15°, 1986)
St. Louis: 16° (old record: 18°, 1911, 1950, and 1976)

Chicago had a temperature of 9° at 5 am CST, which was just above the daily record of 8°, which was set in 1986.

Record daily snowfall yesterday included:

Buffalo: 8.7" (old record: 5.3", 1942)
Burlington: 3.4" (old record: 1.3", 1986)
Chicago: 3.4" (old record: 1.9", 1995)
Detroit: 8.5" (old record: 4.1", 1984) ***Biggest one-day snowfall on record in November***
Indianapolis: 2.8" (old record: 1.2", 1995)
Milwaukee: 3.4" (old record: 2.3", 1995)
St. Louis: 1.5" (old record: 1.0", 1911)

8 minutes ago, Cfa said:

“Winter Storm” posted along the LIE since yesterday and I saw them loading up the salt trucks just a short while ago. This is overkill imo. Car is displaying 60 degrees right now with on and off light rain.

To go along with the record  cold coming...Probably set a record there for " warmest temp when salting  streets" :axe:

• Haha 1

Yet, you were on this site (social media) complaining about the city being unprepared for a (surprise) storm last year at the same time.

Outrage at elected officials ensued

That manufactured outrage, spread with total disregard to reality on every form of social media possible is what has created the plastic safety bubble world we live in today.

Enjoy the salt down there in the boros...you sure paid for it in taxes. Also enjoy the inside knowledge that it was never really going to snow today...that much has been obvious for several days.

57 here. For sh**s and giggles, bought a cheap-o weather station for $25. It came with an indoor and outdoor thermometer that's waterproof. I put the outdoor thermometer in a shallow hole I dug in the yard and covered it with dirt. Curious to see how cold the ground gets relative to the air.

35 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Not even a winter storm warning 

The Euro had 5-6”. But we are in an era of overperforming snowstorms when you are in the jackpot zone. The North American snow extent is right near the top as of the 11th for the period of record.

2890F3BA-47B4-4239-9C73-F2000E4C7108.png.df9b2c738d2f85674a2050e539424e9b.png

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

At 7 am CST, Chicago reported a temperature of 7 degrees. That broke the daily record low of 8 degrees, which was set in 1986.

That’s insane, that’s about as cold as it typically gets for the entire year here, and never that cold this early, even December rarely sees single digits.

Temp is now free falling, currently 45°F, down from 55°F about 20 minutes ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarLover014 said:

57 here. For sh**s and giggles, bought a cheap-o weather station for $25. It came with an indoor and outdoor thermometer that's waterproof. I put the outdoor thermometer in a shallow hole I dug in the yard and covered it with dirt. Curious to see how cold the ground gets relative to the air.

The official depth for measuring soil temps is 4" I think. This is a good idea, if it works I could see doing the same thing.

19 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

That 15* drop in Brewster confirms my suspicions. It's significantly more uncomfortable than it was early this morning.