• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

Yeah...heh, front loaded winter full of average highs and uninspired events. 

I've sensed a kind of tendency to verify closer to average, comparing original model assessments going back through the summer actually.  Like we're doing the same thing .. in the early cold season now.  Makes me wonder if it's all just over-modeling in general .. I mean, considering it's doing it regardless of season, normalizing outlooks is happening either way. 

But, things are trending to verify at less than the amplified sides, relative to their capabilities/what they could have given original appeals.   Damping tendency, one might say it.  Not sure what that's about..

But, this recent journey seems to fit in with that. About two or three weeks back, boy did we have a nice solid H.A. statistical/correction type layout, and it's been a adventure in how to get to the least plausible results relative to that signal ever since. 

Anyway, one of these 40s for highs with Darwin-honorable-mention-threw-the-pond-ice patterns, yeah might just fit in with that trend.  One way or the other, fake news in the models verifies as blase reality. 

I guess the only - present - modeled aspect ...barely worth mentioning, is that the Euro and GFS operational are a little unsure what to do - or how much may be apropos - with a N/stream diving dynamic "seam" wave out there D7 - 8.5-ish.  ...Oh, seam just means that it's not really signaled by some modal index, mass-correction event lake the recent failed H.A. stuff.  It's compact and not related to larger scaled synoptic unrest.

The 00z GFS I'm sure others have seen.  It's remarkable in a silent way, that the Euro was so similar to that from this far away.  So much dynamic core punching as that thing quasi-bombs would wrap [ probably ] CCB down into central /eastern NE regions.  More so in the GFS .. which in either case, this is no bearing or intention to forecast, just describing that period of time.  The 06z GFS rendition taking the more northern route with that is actually probably a better fit for behavioral trend, to mention .. the global warm, HC pushed north shit, combined. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not that lol. N/M.

You’ve gotta give wizzy credit. A lot of guys like to throw those maps around and use big, impressive sounding scientific words to make it sound like they know what they’re talking about, but wiz doesn’t try to fool anybody. 

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

This is pretty cool to see.

I also wonder if this bodes well moving forward. Seems like the theme since early fall as been for these positive height anomalies to strengthen between 180-120W over the Arctic region and that has been some big time warmth at 10 hPa which has developed. 

It does look like this will relax a bit but maybe watch that area around 50E...perhaps that's what is triggering some of the responses we're seeing near Thanksgiving? 

What responses are we seeing near thanks giving ? 

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You’ve gotta give wizzy credit. A lot of guys like to throw those maps around and use big, impressive sounding scientific words to make it sound like they know what they’re talking about, but wiz doesn’t try to fool anybody. 

:lol:

I'm not all that afraid of really saying I have zero clue what I'm talking about...doesn't do me any good...or anyone else good pretending to know what you're talking about.

There was a time when I was crazy interested in this sort of stuff and I thought going back to school would have helped significantly and I could have continued learning more...just the exact opposite happened. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What responses are we seeing near thanks giving ? 

There seems to be alot of talk/interest in the time period...or shortly after for another major shift in the pattern  which could result in another surge of cold into the U.S. The pattern relaxes for a bit, re-loads, and boom...a big blast of cold. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm not all that afraid of really saying I have zero clue what I'm talking about...doesn't do me any good...or anyone else good pretending to know what you're talking about.

There was a time when I was crazy interested in this sort of stuff and I thought going back to school would have helped significantly and I could have continued learning more...just the exact opposite happened. 

There seems to be alot of talk/interest in the time period...or shortly after for another major shift in the pattern  which could result in another surge of cold into the U.S. The pattern relaxes for a bit, re-loads, and boom...a big blast of cold. 

Do you know of the source for this revelation ? 

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I was just bustin your balls anyway. I commend you for finding an interest in it and studying it more. There’s not a lot of predictive skill with this stuff yet, but we wouldn’t be where we are today with science if we never tried. 

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Do you know of the source for this revelation ? 

HM on twitter has made mention a few times along with a few others...earthlight is another...can't think of the others off hand. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I was just bustin your balls anyway. I commend you for finding an interest in it and studying it more. There’s not a lot of predictive skill with this stuff yet, but we wouldn’t be where we are today with science if we never tried. 

It's highly fascinating, albeit challenging/frustrating. If we are able to discover what the true driver or what the drivers are I think the predictability will skyrocket. We do have an understanding of the drivers and what can drive patterns...but moreso of the "after the fact"...like if we were to look at 500 plot of the winter of 1975-1976 you could likely pretty easily determine what the drivers were...but it's gauging what the drivers will be moving forward which possess the greatest challenge...I mean there are times where it is obvious (a rather strong ENSO event, for example). 

What I'm just going to focus on for now is Northern Annular Mode/Arctic Oscillation and then try and branch off from that. Much o the research is conflicting as to whether its the stratosphere which drives the troposphere or vice versa...however, there are some interesting papers (just read one) which states otherwise and provides some overwhelming data.